“Lovely staycation!”

Court House Manor
Ranked #2 of 12 Painswick B&B and Inns
“Lovely staycation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Thank you to our hosts linda and Pete! Our stay was very enjoyable, from the champagne reception through to the roaring log fire in the library room. The house has been beautifully and tastefully decorated but Pete and Linda do everything they can to make you feel at home. The only down side was our stay was too short and we didn't get a chance to play snooker or dip in the jacuzzi, we will certainly be back to the Courthouse ASAP! Thank you all!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luke R
Peter L, Public Relations Manager at Court House Manor, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hi LukeR

Thank you for leaving us a great review, its good to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!
By the sounds of it you definitely missed out on the snooker and jacuzzi!
guess you'll have to return sometime!
By all means we would love to have you back in the future, now finally the cotswolds spring is starting to pick up we should have a lot more sun in the coming months.

All the best Pete, linda & the team @ Court House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed in the Barn part of the Court House Manor. We chose this option as we wanted a really restful stay and some privacy as we rarely get away due to our current occupations.
First impressions were that the Barn was lovely. You walk into a nice lounge area and two twin beds (little random but handy if you have children that don’t mind day light in the morning as there were no curtains), the kitchen is a good size area for a short break. Sue showed us around the barn and the main house. She was very welcoming and offered to book us dinner at the local inn.
The spiral stair case is steep and narrow. This wasn’t an issue as the website had warned us of this before we booked. However more of a concern was the fact the staircase wasn’t that sturdy. Even more amusing is when a member of staff stated that they hated going up it (Sue)! This didn’t surprise me when the stairs would creek and visibly move. It was just made of plastic!
The barn was meant to have a DVD player which it did not have so this is a something that is misleading on the website. We wanted to be tucked away with each other and just have a relaxing time. So the DVDs we took stayed in our bags.
Unfortunately our stay was not as restful as we had hoped. We found early evening that there was an issue with the bedroom lights. When the lights in the upstairs bedroom were meant to be turned off they would flash at random intervals. We popped in to the main House before we went out for dinner on the Sunday evening to explain the issue we were having with the lights in the upstairs bedroom of the barn. The response from the staff confused us. They came and had a look and turned all the lights on, missing the point that they were flashing when turned off, this concerned me as it must be an electrical fault. The member of staff said they would inform another member of staff of the issue. However we were not offered a different room.

We came back from our meal out and watched TV then had a bath by the time we went to go to bed it was 11.30pm. (Warning to guests that the bath tub is not securely fitted to the floor. It moves a good foot! Also if your partner is over 6ft like mine they will struggle to get into the tub which when it moves can be rather tricky!) We got into bed and realised that the main spot lights, when off, still continued to flash intermittently. Due to the time we thought we would be ok and be able to sleep and also due to the lack of assistance earlier in the evening felt we wouldn’t get any at that hour especially seeing as the only person left in the main house had happy told us they were very hungover! Unfortunately being tired didn’t mean we were able to sleep meaning we were awake for a large portion of the night due to the strobe effect from the lights.
We checked the dimmer switch, which seemed to be faulty itself due to not really being able to turn it on and off properly. You can push it in to turn it on and turn it up and down but when you push it "off" it remains on but will dim to an off light.

As I said my first concern is that the electrics are faulty and this could be a fire hazard. So the restful break was far from that; in fact it was upsetting. I did speak to the gentleman in the morning when we came to check out, however he didn't fully understand what I was trying to tell him even with showing him a video on my mobile he came to the barn to look and implied I didn't know how to function a light switch, which I personally found extremely insulting and even more so when I had shown him videos.

Also my other concern is the lights in the hall way upstairs not working. I nearly fell down the gap next to the stairs in the night due to the bulbs being presumably blown and this also raises the issue of the staircase being insecure as well as not having a rail around it. As I mentioned earlier the staircase was of a poor build. I wouldn’t recommend staying here if you have small children! I was even surprised that this passed building regulations or health and safety checks as there are usually height requirements for railings in establishments. However on reflection I am not even sure the barn has had checks.

The pump on the toilet also was very noisy it would make a bang/pump noise at regular intervals through the night which was very irritating on top of the strobe lighting.
All in all like I said I don’t believe the barn has been properly checked. It had a very slap dash finish as you can see from the pictures. Holes around the shower, the plasterboards being directly painted on rather than skimmed with plaster. Not what you expect in a room that is over £200 a night!

After paying a substantial amount of money we didn't expect to have a sleepless night due to flashing lights and a noisy toilet. I was really looking forward to our stay especially after reading such positive reviews online, however I have ended up very disappointed and coming home more tired than before we left.
I cannot comment on the breakfast. Due to the lack of sleep and originally booking a late checkout we stayed in the barn. We had a yogurt from the fridge which I can’t deny was tasty.
The information in this review was emailed to Sue at Court House Manor. (along with pictures and videos of the lights – as when you have laid in bed watching them for hours on end and have mobiles these days it made sense to be able to show them) Sue had always responded within 24 hours before our stay. She came back in a timely fashion to say the following:
“I'm sorry that you found your stay not as restful as you had hoped and the Light problem caused you a sleepless night.
I'm not sure when this problem started as we had Guest in the Barn Friday and Saturday night and nothing was mentioned about either of the lights that you had problems with the Bedroom or the Landing we have however rectified the problem now.
I would like to offer Yourself and your Partner a complementary Sunday or Mid - Week 1 night stay either in the Barn or in the Main House”

I was grateful for the response however confused that they said no-one else had this problem. Yet they sorted it? How can they sort something that they implied wasn’t there? Especially as there were the videos and pictures. Again it was nice of them to offer another night however as previously stated we rarely get away and didn’t really want another long journey for another sleepless night so this wasn’t an option for us. Since that email I responded asking for a refund or partial refund and have had NO communication at all from them. I have even emailed asking for a response even if a no. I have found the whole experience to leave a bitter taste in my mouth so be warned!!

Room Tip: Don't select the barn from our experience!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katy W
Peter L, Owner at Court House Manor, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, positive or negative we strive to improve our service here at Court House.

I apologize that your experience in the barn wasn't what you expected. The barn has its quirks which is partly what makes it so charming. It has its own private garden and large lounge with 50" TV screen and sky and there is now a DVD player in the barn. Private parking and large garden with a self catered kitchen which includes washing machine and dish washer. I believe this is quite the bargain for £200.

We have since had a number of guests and families stay in the barn and they have been happy with their experience.

A number of your issues I feel have been raised are really just to add to a point. When you start looking for problems it ends up taking away from the overall experience. We do not falsely advertise the barn and at £200 a night the barn offers a lot of qualities that other rooms do not offer.

However your issue with the light bulbs is entirely unacceptable and if you could call us directly I would be happy to discuss compensation for your stay.

Kind regards,

Peter
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at court house after booking last minute. Beautiful house and setting. Our children loved the spiral staircase in the barn and it was very cosy and comfortable. The continental breakfast was fabulous with lovely fresh fruit, cheeses and pate, and great friendly staff. We will definitely be back

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gertfox
Peter L, Owner at Court House Manor, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please come back and visit us soon! I have to admit the barn has its quirks but most seem to enjoy them :)

Great for the kids as well when you have your own garden!!

See you soon,

Peter Lloyd
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

the location of the court house is sueperb we will go back as soon as possible...playing with the two small dogs was fantastic......the staff where better than some five stare hotels that we have stayed at....

Room Tip: i do not think that there are any bad rooms at the court house ....
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter L, Owner at Court House Manor, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here at Court House. What a lovely review and we hope you come back soon.

Kind regards,

Peter
east londoner
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is only the 2nd time I've ever felt compelled to write a review!
Court House Manor has it's good points & bad!

GOOD POINTS:
Accommodation & grounds (WOW).
Breakfast has everything you could want.
Owner Linda, Manager Peter, Maria, Susie....in fact all the staff are fab & could not be more welcoming & helpful - nothing is too much trouble.
Painswick is a beautiful village as are all the surrounding towns & villages (Bourton-on-the-water is my pick).
I ventured there on my own & initially booked for 3 nights but extended it to 4 (would've been 5 nights if they weren't fully booked!)
I felt comfortable as soon as I walked through the door, was shown around the most amazing manor I've ever seen - only some of the rooms are communal as this is a B&B and their home, although I went at a very quiet time of the year, so more or less had the run of the whole place...I truly felt like a king in my manor!

I ventured to all the surrounding areas by walking, bus, car or taxi, food wise try the Falcon & Cotswold 88 (tasting menu was amazing - 9 courses £60), both a few minutes stagger away (I did drink quit a bit!!), Sorrento in nearby Stroud was also a favourite of mine (authentic Italian).

I only spent a few hrs 1 evening at Court House Manor when Peter challenged me to a game on the full size snooker table (just wish I'd put a wager down.....maybe next time!) & treated me to a whisky or few.

I don't know if you can tell....but I agree with every positive thing that all the other reviewers have said - You have to see this place (And I experienced it during a cold miserable rainy windy January!).

BAD POINTS:
I'm always very honest with praise & criticisms alike.....I wouldn't be true to myself if I didn't point them out.... there was no erm no no erm, damn, can't think, I know there was something, give me a second, erm, oh yes, I remember now - There was no one to tuck me in & read me a bedtime story!! & also, errr, there was, erm......no, that's it, can't think of any other negatives!

This is not the cheapest B&B in the world, but if you fancy treating yourself, I think it's worth every penny - I took pictures of everything & haven't stopped boring my friends (& probably you too!), as I want everyone else to experience it - you should book & go.

On second thoughts....you'll read this review & all the others, you'll all book, the price will go up, availability down & when I try to go back, it'll either be too expensive or full.... and then I'll cry!!! forget everything I said........
DONT GO IT'S RUBBISH

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank adamjayvideos
Peter L, Public Relations Manager at Court House Manor, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Hi Adam jay -

Thank you for staying at the Court House Manor and thank you for your dazzling review.
The team at Court House had a great time reading it!
As always we are here to give our guests the best cotswolds manor house getaway that we can offer, your review reminds us that our hospitality can go a long way.
Please keep updated on our upcoming offers and events by visiting our website.

We hope you return soon!

Best regard's Taylor & the Team
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

My boyfriend and I arrived Friday night at about 8:20pm a little later than we had hoped ( I was aware that last check in was 8pm and was worried about being late) but we got caught up in bad traffic coming from London. We did ring ahead to let them know and left a message on the answering machine. I thought that we would be staying in the main house as we had booked a double room and were looking forward to seeing the house and the communal areas such as the library and breakfast room. When we arrived a man met us in the car park and guided us to a converted out house overlooking some decking and a sunken eating area some. It looked lovely and was very warm and cosy. The bed was very comfortable and the lighting showed off the room well. Downstairs there was a small kitchen and a small bathroom. I understand that room is tight in old houses but neither of us are big and both of us found the toilet a bit of a squeeze. The shower was lovely and pressure was good. When we asked about where to go in the morning for breakfast he told us the house had been booked exclusively and that he thought we'd be having our breakfast in the small kitchen area of the down stairs he would come back to confirm. He came back to let us know that we would be having breakfast in our room. I was a little disappointed as I wanted to see the house. But he said it had been exclusively booked. We were not offered any use of the main house. We settled in and had a glass of fizz that we had brought with us and watched some television. I was going to pop the fizz in the fridge to keep it cool but I noticed it wasn't on. Not a problem we finished the bottle off.
A good nights sleep in the warm cosy room was great after a long drive from London and I woke feeling refreshed.
Breakfast was delivered by 2 friendly lady's at about 9am. They brought everything full English breakfast and full continental breakfast, orange and apple juice, cheese (which was very tasty), fruit and yoghurt. I think maybe because we were not in the main house they brought everything over to cover all bases. Luckily there were tea bags in the kitchen to make a tea. Breakfast was tasty. We showered and headed off for the day. When we came back breakfast had been cleared away and the juices, milk, cheese and yoghurts had been put in the fridge. I was surprised as it was not on. We settled down to watch some television. Sadly as there had been some strong winds that day it would appear that the aerial had been disturbed as the Sky box stopped working. We got ready and went out to the Falcon Inn for dinner which was very good indeed. My advice would be to book a table before arriving as it appeared to be very popular.
The day we left breakfast was again brought over by the 2 nice lady's at 9:40. This time though most of it was cold (I am not sure if this is because they had to bring it over from the main house or not) and the juice's, milk, cheese and the remainder of the continental breakfast from yesterdays breakfast were brought out of the warm fridge. I had to wash my own cups from yesterdays breakfast to have the coffee they brought this time. We had to ask about check out dropped the keys off and left.
I can't believe this is the same B&B that other reviewers have experienced or whether it was because the house was exclusively booked and the staff were tending to these customers more? But we left feeling a little let down. What we saw of the grounds were beautiful and the little place we stayed in was lovely and cosy and tastefully decorated but we didn't experience the same warm welcome others mention. And the cold breakfast on the 2nd morning was a shame.
It is stunning to look at and I am sure if the house had not been booked we would have had the same experience as others. Hopefully our experience was just a little blip in what looks like an amazing place to stay.

Room Tip: The bed in my room and by the sounds of it all the rooms are really, really comfy I had back surgery...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kengis100
Peter L, Public Relations Manager at Court House Manor, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Hi Kengis,

I would like to give you my personal apology for your experience at the Court house,

From reading your review i see that you were in the barn conversion during your stay, and i can agree that the experience you may of had is somewhat detached from the traditional bed and breakfast that normally run in the house, (Which is due to the private hire).

I can assure you that our staff did their upmost to make you feel welcome and catered for during your stay!

I am not sure if the room you were staying in or location was properly explained prior to your stay, if your booking was made purely online it may have been misleading where a bouts on the property you were staying, our team will make sure that the site is made clearer, as well as better notification in the case of a private hire during your stay.

As always we would love to have you back

All the best, Pete, Linda and the team at Court house
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I absolutely loved our stay at the Court House Manor this past weekend. We were celebrating our anniversary and had booked the Cleopatra room. When we arrived late on Friday night, there was a slight mix-up with the rooms, but the kind staff (Peter) upgraded us to the King Charles suite! This more than made our weekend! The rooms are luxurious and private and you almost don't feel like you're sharing the house with others. There are common areas (the library and dining room were the only ones open all the time) but we didn't really use them. We also didn't realise that a full English (made to order, mind you) breakfast was included when we made our booking, and each morning we awoke to Susie cooking and preparing you your breakfast while you dine on yogurt, cereal, cheese, etc. Painswick itself is a lovely village and this is a great base for exploring the Cotswolds.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Lyd321

Thank you for staying at the court house manor, and thank you for your great review!
It was great to hear that everything went well during your stay.

We hope you will return soon, Please check Trip Advisor or our website for any upcoming offers and events;

Best regards Pete, Linda and the team at Court House
Also consider these accommodations in or near Painswick
The Painswick
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,162 reviews
Falcon Inn
Falcon Inn
#3 of 12 in Painswick

Been to Court House Manor? Share your experiences!