“A wonderful experience....”

Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“A wonderful experience....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I found this hotel via Tripadviser and my wife and I were not disappointed. From the booking process, arrival, dinner & breakfast to the departure, everything was fantastic.
The overall location and decor...perfect. I stay at many hotels over the year and I can honesty say there was not one area of damage or somewhere which required touch up or fixing.
Arrival was handled perfectly by the staff and the bottle of red wine a nice touch for booking direct.
Dinner on the Saturday was great with the ambiance and quality/quantity of the food very good.
Weather helped from our last visit to the area but nothing could dampen our view of this hotel.
Others have mentioned the room sizes which are a bit smaller than preferred but no real issue.
Overall, we loved it and would highly recommend it to others looking for a base in the Cotswolds.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Losels, Owner at Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and your compliments are very much appreciated. We have, as always, passed these onto the staff, thank you. We are hoping that the weather will remain sunny and dry....and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Caroline and Patricia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

The Number Four at Stow is without doubt the Cotswolds' best kept secret as far as hotels are concerned. Chef/manager Brian Cutler is a wizard in the kitchen, serving up food of the highest order. Withoiut doubt the hotel deserves a five star rating if only for the superb meals conjured up by the amazing Mr Cutler. But there is a lot more to the Number Four than the food as good as it is. This is a family run enterprise and everyone - from the chatty and helpful waitresses to the friendly owners - goes out of their way to ensure the whole operation runs like clockwork. My wife and I have just returned from our second stay at the hotel in the past 12 months and we are already looking forward to our next visit. The Number Four may be a secret only to those in the know but it is a secret that is rapidly being shared by more and more discerning people - and with good cause.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the open countryside at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colin045
It was a pleasure to welcome you back to Number four and we are delighted that you had a memorable stay once again. Thank you for your compliments which we have passed onto Brian and the team. It is much appreciated that you have taken the time to post a review on Trip Advisor, thank you.

We now look forward to wishing you a warm welcome back very soon

Caroline and Patricia
Oxfordshire, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed here as a couple after offloading the kids for a night. We don't get much time together as a couple so, it was important our night away was an enjoyable one......and it was. The room was on the small side, but very clean and well appointed, which for me means a decent TV and for my wife some nice curtains and cushions. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We went for a meal at the lovely Cutlers restaurant and the food was really nice and there was a great selection. The menu was rather posh, quite a bit of fine dining and mentions of jus rather than gravy, so we felt like royalty....easily pleased. The wine list was super, which we took full advantage of and after two bottles of fruity white and rose wine, took great delight in listening to and giggling at the loud posh fellow next to us "gaffawing" over his polo accident earlier in the day. All in all a very enjoyable night away and we will be back fro another one as soon as we can.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1973lee
Losels, Owner at Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent break at Number Four at Stow and found the time to unwind, whilst being away from the kids! (We do have a great family room if you want to bring them next time!)
Your feedback on Trip Advisor is very much appreciated, thank you.

We now look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Came with my wife to stay for a Valentine's weekend. Excellent service from start to finish. Very helpful and hugely efficient staff supporting the two very nice owners. Rooms are spotless and comfortable (possibly just a little small). Food excellent - we had a special Valentine's meal on Friday as well as eating there on Saturday night as well. The chef even knows how to cook perfect boiled eggs for breakfast! Seriously - great eating experience all round with a nice wine list (try the Malbec). Highly recommended in every way. Beautifully run from the top down where the customer is king.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thesultanofwatford
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel for Valentine's. Your compliments on Trip Advisor are very much appreciated and have been passed on to all the staff, thank you. We do hope that you will have the opportunity to return again to see more of what The Cotswolds has to offer, especially as the weather seems to be improving now and the sun is even shining!

We look forrward to welcoming you soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

There's no shortage of places to stay in the Cotswolds, which makes choosing a hotel or guest house quite a challenge, especially when you're as fussy as I am.

I wanted to take my partner away for a Saturday night stay within a 40-50 mile radius of home (Solihull area). This was at the end of last year (for various reasons I haven’t had time to post a review until now). He'd had a busy 2013 and didn’t get much time off. As it was his birthday on the Sunday, I thought dinner, bed and breakfast would make a great break/birthday treat.

The booking was all a bit last minute and I started off searching for hotels/B&Bs located in the centre of popular Cotswold places like Stow, Moreton in the Marsh etc. These all seemed to be a: booked up, b: very expensive, c: only available for two nights or more.

A change of tactic was called for and I extended my search to include places just outside the centre of the various Cotswolds villages. This brought me to Number Four at Stow.

Located just under a mile outside Stow on the Fosse Way, it's a stylish yet homely hotel and restaurant with beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. Encouraged by the positive Trip Advisor reviews, I made my reservation over the phone and was instantly impressed by the friendly and efficient way that my booking was handled by the lady I spoke to. First impressions are important to me, so this was encouraging.

We arrived on the Saturday at about 4.30, having spent a great day shopping, eating and drinking in Stow and Bourton on the Water. By late afternoon it was becoming both dark and chilly, so I was looking forward to a warm welcome at Number Four in more ways than one. Fortunately, the quality of the check in matched the efficiency of my telephone booking experience.

We were in a small queue of people waiting to check in but we were immediately acknowledged by the lady on Reception and were soon being shown to our room by a friendly member of staff.

I'd splashed out on a small suite and this was stylish, warm, comfortable and cosy with plenty of storage place, lots of lights and lamps, a fridge (a jug of fresh milk was brought up to us), a separate sitting room with TV and a spacious, gleaming bathroom with bath and a very efficient overhead shower. We settled in immediately and were soon enjoying the rather good bottle of red that was included in the room rate.

After a leisurely shower, we went down to the lounge/bar for a pre-dinner drink. The public areas at Number Four are bright, stylish and welcoming, with comfy sofas and chairs, and the atmosphere on the night we stayed was intimate and relaxed. One G&T later and we were at our table in the elegant restaurant enjoying an excellent meal.

I started with fresh crab and avocado roulade with tomato gazpacho (with complimentary bread – always a good thing), followed by steak bourgignon with mash potato and veg (literally a small steak, beautifully cooked in wine) and finishing with a fantastic sage panna cotta with apple jelly and apple sorbet, the best desert I’ve had in a long time. My partner had the watercress soup, followed by lamb and the cheese board and enjoyed his meal just as much as I did.

We had coffee in the lounge over a game of scrabble, which I lost (board games thoughtfully provided for those who aren’t ready to return to their rooms). The chef passed through the bar area and stopped to ask us if we had enjoyed our meal and seemed genuinely interested and pleased to know that we had.

By the time we had finished playing scrabble, we were the only ones left in the bar. My partner took the opportunity to improvise on the restaurant piano for me, not realising some of the bar staff were still present. Although completely untaught, he was good enough to warrant a round of applause and it made a great end to a wonderfully relaxed evening.

Many elements combined to make this a great overnight stay but two things really stood out for me: the attention to detail and the excellent customer service. Our hosts seemed to have thought of everything and their staff did them credit, being friendly, considerate, attentive and very on the ball. Everyone smiled and I really got the impression that they enjoyed working there.

It’s now a couple of months since we stayed at Number Four but I still think back to our stay. It was very special and a real tonic on a chilly winter's day when we needed a boost. It wasn't cheap but I do think we got very good value for money. We are hoping to return in the summer so that we can get out into the beautiful Cotswold countryside and do some walking.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this such a good expeirence.

Tip: If you are thinking of staying at Number Four and want to visit Stow, I would suggest taking the car. The hotel is approximately 1 mile outside the village and there’s a longish hill involved, so you'd need to be feeling fairly energetic to walk.

Room Tip: If you can run to a suite, do so. It's the icing on a very good cake.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LittleEmsy
Although it was a while ago that you stayed with us we do really appreciate that you have posted such a helpful and complimentary review on Trip Advisor...and that you haven't forgotten us! We are delighted that we lived up to your expectations and when you return in the summer (if not before) we assure you of another warm welcome back to Number Four.

Manchester, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for just one night in February as a prelude to a day in Oxford. To be honest, it is difficult to know what more could be asked for in a hotel. Reception was fast and efficient, and the room was both spotlessly clean and stylish. We arrived just before 8 PM, but nothing was too much bother and an excellent dinner was laid on in the restaurant. The hotel was seemingly quite quiet during our stay, but the staff were very attentive both in the hotel and the restaurant. The breakfast next morning was also a real treat. Superbly cooked, locally sourced and utterly delicious!

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Over the last few years, we have probably stayed here 4-5 times either as a base to explore the Cotswolds or a stopping point before Oxford (which is only about a 25 minute drive away). It serves both perfectly. Staff are brilliantly trained and the management seemed genuinely keen to find out what is going on in our lives and to help/suggest whenever they can. Hopefully it will not be long before we return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank rreece
It was a pleasure to welcome you to Number Four during your recent Oxford trip and we would like to thank you very much for posting your review following your stay. We will certainly look forward to welcoming you both once again when you are next in The Cotswolds.

With warm regards

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I stopped here last week with my family for a three night break and it was lovely. The staff were ever so friendly and the place was spotless. The breakfast was lovely, the hotel is about one mile out of Stow. The car park is safe and there are plenty of spaces.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased that you had a memorable stay at Number Four and now hope that we can welcome you back to stay very soon.

Caroline & Patricia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
The Old Stocks Inn
Lords of the Manor Hotel
Lords of the Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in The Slaughters
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,032 reviews

Been to Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant? Share your experiences!