“Over rated and over priced!”

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Booked at the last minute but on arrival was told the massage/therapy treatments were fully booked for the period we were staying. Maybe its naeivity but I would have thought over 2 days it would have been possible (the job sheet left on the spa desk seemed to be mainly training!).
My partner had a bar sandwich: Chicken ,bacon & mozzarella they managed to miss the mozzarella off although the barman gave us 1/2 Becks in lieu.
First morning breakfast: poached egg more like a hard boiled, toast was warm bread, bacon awful. As a result cancelled dinner and went out. Second day breakfast was much better.
As elsewhere in the reviews our bathroom fan and towel rail didn't work.
The staff did not seem happy at all; the receptionist wasn't sure when the bar served food.
The noise second night from 4am was awful which was compounded by the banging and crashing from the room above at approx. 6.00am.
Had to re-tune the TV; not that we needed it but the lift wasn't working during our stay.
We have stayed in far superior 3* hotels with better food, service and happy, smiling staff.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank imt58
There are newer reviews for Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I have just returned from a stay at the Hotel wth my Husband, it is a lovely Hotel and the room we were given was lovely, however the lighting was very bad and difficult to read in there, also the tea making facilities were in a open cupboard with no lighting at all. The heating was over powering in the hotel, however in our room it was ok. We only ate breakfast in the hotel as we felt the dinner is over priced. The breakfast on the 1st morning was lovely, however the second morning was not very good my egg was like a bullet I did complain and a fresh one was brought by which time the rest of my breakfast was cold. I have to say on a posative note that the staff are excelant and the service first class. overall a lovely place but attention does need to be given to the lighting.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We had a relaxing break in lovely surroundings! We stayed in a room in 'The Orangery' for two nights in May. The room was large, comfortable and had everything we needed. It was also quiet and we both slept well. We booked in for massages at the spa which we both enjoyed! We also used the bar which was priced fairly reasonably for a hotel. The cooked breakfast was fine but service was quite slow on the second morning of our stay. It seemed as if they did not have enough staff on duty to look after the number of guests booked in. My only complaint apart from that was the water pressure was quite bad but when I mentioned that on departure they said they are upgrading the system very soon. We were very glad we brought the car as there are no shops, pubs etc within walking distance. We would definitely stay here again.

2  Thank Wadd79
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Our 3 year old daughter is terminally ill with a brain tumour, and we have spent the last 3 months fund raising and starting experimental treatment to try to save her life.
Having spent a totally exhausting three months doing this, we decided that enough is enough and booked a couple of nights at Wyck Hill House Hotel to get away from it all.
Bear in mind we have a 3 year old and a 17 month old, we arrived and were given the key for our coach house room. We then decided to go out and get some dinner with the kids and then come back to our room. Bad mistake - the room was freezing, and we went to give the kids a bath and no hot water. We called reception, they set a man, he came back half an hour later, and said it would be another hour and a half before the hot water came on. This was 8pm. We asked to move to another room - we moved but were told this room was only available for one night.
Next morning we went to breakfast, which I can honestly say was the worst cooked breakfast I have ever eaten. The bacon was like something I would feed my dog as a treat, and this was accompanied by a tiny pot of very overcooked baked beans and a small piece of black pudding, and a tiny sausage. There was a small table with a selection of very bad looking pastries on it as well. We all left starving and pretty well cheesed off.
We left, cancelled our next nights stay and were offered a small discount on the first night.
Bizarrely I've since been told that the hotel has recently been refurbished!
If you are staying here, just make sure you don't stay in the coach house, and don't bother eating breakfast. Other than that you can pay £150 a night to sleep in a bed if you wish.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank RichardandChan
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We only stayed one night at Wyck Hill Hotel while travelling through the Cotswolds, and stopped there unplanned and with very little prior knowledge. We had a very pleasant night in "The Orangery" converted out building. The room and en suite were huge. The massive patio doors looked onto a cracking lawn and garden area. Our room was well appointed with all the gadgets.
A couple of minor points, some painting needs re-doing and it looked like the room door had been forced and bashed about once too often.
The bar looked lovely but was rather soul less and the bar man was a "Mr Ben character" who kept disappearing for too long doing something else?!! He was also a bit surly.
Breakfast was very good in a garden room and the optional fry up was top notch freshly cooked.

Room Tip: Try the Orangery it is not in the main building and may cost extra but we got a late bargain!
Reviewed 13 May 2012

This is my 4th stay here and it just improves everytime i go!
I stayed a couple of weeks ago with my mum on a spa break the girls were lovely in the spa as always my mum enjoyed her facial and i enjoyed my massage.We had a lovely dinner in the evening all the staff were polite and friendly.I left my phone charger in our room and they posted it on to me free of change thankyou to all the staff who work hard there to give you an enjoyable stay hope to stay again soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank belley
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed at Wyck Hill for a weekend whilst attending a family function. The greeting was very good but unfortunately we had not been up-graded as we were told we would be, the hotel did however give us a complimentory bottle of wine. The evening meal in the hotel was excellent, breakfast was ok but clearly not enough staff to cope with a full hotel, it was to say the least a bit slow. Overall an exjoyable experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!