“A great relaxing break”

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 9 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights arriving on Tuesday 5 June. On arrival we were upgraded to one of the feature bedrooms in the main hotel which was a lovely surprise. The room was huge as was the bathroom with an over bath rain shower. We had booked an a break via Great Little Breaks (great value) which included dinner each evening from the table d'hote menu. The food was excellent on each of the nights and we upgraded to the a la carte menu on one of the evenings. Breakfast were lovely and cooked to order - a great start to the day.

All the staff we encountered from the receptionist at check in, to the cleaning staff and the restaurant staff in the evening and at breakfast were very polite and helpful.

Prior to arrival we had each booked a treatment in the Spa for our last afternoon and both thoroughly enjoyed these.

All in all this was a lovely, relaxing stay in spite of the dreadful weather for most of the time we were there. This was a shame as the outdoor seating areas looked lovely and I am sure a relaxing afternoon reading a book and having a glass of wine would be fantastic.

Whilst there we played golf (yes in spite of the weather) and there were some courses nearby offering good deals.

Room Tip: rooms in the main hotel mean no outdoor trips to the bar and restaurant - a real bonus to us doe to...
1  Thank raffles1

Reviewed 8 June 2012

My friend and I really enjoyed our stay at this lovely manor home. My friend was given a huge room in the annex and I had a charming room in the main house. We were treated very well by the staff. We thought the dinner at the restaurant was very good that evening. The Manor home was beautifully maintained with lovely antiques. We also thought the location was good for sightseeing in the Cotswolds. Stow-on-the-Wold had several good antique shops and pubs. The grounds were lovely and we look forward to staying there again!

Room Tip: In the main house the rooms were lovely and cozy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My partner and I stayed here for three nights on a bed and breakfast basis. We were initially booked into a suite but when we arrived found it did not have a bath, only a shower. We hadn't stipulated that we preferred a room with a bath on booking but the staff were happy to accomodate us elsewhere and even offered us the best suite at the hotel for one of the nights. The room we stayed in had everything we needed and more, with luxury fixtures and fittings, crisp bed linen and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.
The staff were polite and unobtrusive but went out of their way to be helpful. I dont think I have ever met such willing and 'happy to help' staff, anywhere else I have stayed. They were a credit to the Hotel and made the stay all the more special.
Wyck Hill itself is in its own beautiful grounds and is ideally situated to reach the picturesque towns and villages of the Cotswolds by car. Breakfasts were more than ample and cooked to order with an excellent selection of continental and cooked foods on offer. We sampled the evening menu on one of the days and found it to be very good and fairly priced although enjoyed equally good meals in the restaurants that the concierge recommended to us in nearby Stow.
We used the hotel as a base for exploring so didnt try the spa or evening bar facilities. Overall though I couldnt fault anything about this excellent country house hotel

Room Tip: check the room has a bath or shower before booking, if upgrades are available they are happy to offe...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Booked at the last minute but on arrival was told the massage/therapy treatments were fully booked for the period we were staying. Maybe its naeivity but I would have thought over 2 days it would have been possible (the job sheet left on the spa desk seemed to be mainly training!).
My partner had a bar sandwich: Chicken ,bacon & mozzarella they managed to miss the mozzarella off although the barman gave us 1/2 Becks in lieu.
First morning breakfast: poached egg more like a hard boiled, toast was warm bread, bacon awful. As a result cancelled dinner and went out. Second day breakfast was much better.
As elsewhere in the reviews our bathroom fan and towel rail didn't work.
The staff did not seem happy at all; the receptionist wasn't sure when the bar served food.
The noise second night from 4am was awful which was compounded by the banging and crashing from the room above at approx. 6.00am.
Had to re-tune the TV; not that we needed it but the lift wasn't working during our stay.
We have stayed in far superior 3* hotels with better food, service and happy, smiling staff.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
1  Thank imt58
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I have just returned from a stay at the Hotel wth my Husband, it is a lovely Hotel and the room we were given was lovely, however the lighting was very bad and difficult to read in there, also the tea making facilities were in a open cupboard with no lighting at all. The heating was over powering in the hotel, however in our room it was ok. We only ate breakfast in the hotel as we felt the dinner is over priced. The breakfast on the 1st morning was lovely, however the second morning was not very good my egg was like a bullet I did complain and a fresh one was brought by which time the rest of my breakfast was cold. I have to say on a posative note that the staff are excelant and the service first class. overall a lovely place but attention does need to be given to the lighting.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

We had a relaxing break in lovely surroundings! We stayed in a room in 'The Orangery' for two nights in May. The room was large, comfortable and had everything we needed. It was also quiet and we both slept well. We booked in for massages at the spa which we both enjoyed! We also used the bar which was priced fairly reasonably for a hotel. The cooked breakfast was fine but service was quite slow on the second morning of our stay. It seemed as if they did not have enough staff on duty to look after the number of guests booked in. My only complaint apart from that was the water pressure was quite bad but when I mentioned that on departure they said they are upgrading the system very soon. We were very glad we brought the car as there are no shops, pubs etc within walking distance. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wadd79
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Our 3 year old daughter is terminally ill with a brain tumour, and we have spent the last 3 months fund raising and starting experimental treatment to try to save her life.
Having spent a totally exhausting three months doing this, we decided that enough is enough and booked a couple of nights at Wyck Hill House Hotel to get away from it all.
Bear in mind we have a 3 year old and a 17 month old, we arrived and were given the key for our coach house room. We then decided to go out and get some dinner with the kids and then come back to our room. Bad mistake - the room was freezing, and we went to give the kids a bath and no hot water. We called reception, they set a man, he came back half an hour later, and said it would be another hour and a half before the hot water came on. This was 8pm. We asked to move to another room - we moved but were told this room was only available for one night.
Next morning we went to breakfast, which I can honestly say was the worst cooked breakfast I have ever eaten. The bacon was like something I would feed my dog as a treat, and this was accompanied by a tiny pot of very overcooked baked beans and a small piece of black pudding, and a tiny sausage. There was a small table with a selection of very bad looking pastries on it as well. We all left starving and pretty well cheesed off.
We left, cancelled our next nights stay and were offered a small discount on the first night.
Bizarrely I've since been told that the hotel has recently been refurbished!
If you are staying here, just make sure you don't stay in the coach house, and don't bother eating breakfast. Other than that you can pay £150 a night to sleep in a bed if you wish.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank RichardandChan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!