“In need of management”

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
London, United Kingdom
“In need of management”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This hotel could have so much going for it. Good location..spacious rooms...good quality food however it needs to be managed. First room was populated by cobwebs that had been there for days and had a damp patch which nobody had seen. Team of employees work hard but no direction. I was there for 2 nights and no barman on either night!!! Receptionists are willing but look everything up on google..I could do that and get the same inaccurate answers. Charging 4 star prices but giving 2 star value.

Room Tip: Don't visit at current prices
1 Thank John G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Arrived at hotel at 12pm, as attending a wedding locally, told that our room wasn't ready yet as they were fully booked the previous night and that night. No problem though as we could get ready in the spa changing rooms. When we arrived at the spa the receptionist wasn't as positive and told us we could, but it would be cramped, hot and lots of people in there. We got changed in the small changing room that was hot but fine and no one else in it....
I left our suitcase at reception and asked for it to be placed in our room later, I was told this wasn't a problem. I briefly popped back to the hotel at 8pm a d lye suitcase had not been taken to our room, I called reception and she said it would be bought along. 10 mins later, I went and got my suitcase from reception (the receptionist still sat behind the desk doing nothing) the room was really hot, but as I was in a rush I didn't pay much attention to it.
We eventually arrived at the hotel at just after midnight.
The room was a disabled room with no bath, not ideal when after a long day all we wanted was a soak in the tub! But never mind, so had a shower, in what was supposedly a wet room, well actually after a short shower it was a soaked room with a large puddle of water at the door entrance. We had to use all our towels to clear it up. The room was so ridiculously hot we tried to open the windows, which don't open!!! The room was like a sauna!!
After a rubbish nights sleep we headed for breakfast which was really good, lovely service and good quality cooked breakfast, although the continental looked a bit ropey.
On return home I realised I had left my phone charger plugged in, in our room, I tried calling the hotel for about 30 mins and I rang off the hook. When it was eventually answered the rude receptionist told me I had to speak to housekeeping and they are only in 7-3pm, she tried to hang up, when I suggested she could take my details and get someone to call me back as the phone had been ringing off the hook....she replied "well I have had a coach party checking in and was busy" oh right, that was me told then!!
We shall see if they call back tomorrow and if they say they can post the charger back!
Beautiful hotel with potential, just shoddy reception staff and poor bedrooms we wouldn't stay again.

Stayed August 2013
3 Thank lowkat
London, UK
Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Great reception team, but the place has the air of being run whilst the owner is on holiday. Attention to detail is missing, room had heavily stained carpet, a leaking shower and wifi that didn't work. Food was good quality but the menu was rather limited. Would not rush back.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimTone
London
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The hotel is in a good location if you have a car. The room was big and had a comfortable bed. However, we had a terrible night sleep. The room was really hot and there was no way to cool it down. We called reception at 5am, who told us all fans were being used and the hotel does not have air con.
The shower/bathtub leaked and the wifi did not work.
Service and breakfast were mediocre. We were told we could not check in until 2h30 when we arrived due to a wedding the previous day. we asked for a room to be prioritised because we had to get ready for a wedding. They then managed to get us in at 2pm.
A nice hotel but not overly impressive.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

very nice hotel in lovely grounds. Staff very helpful and friendly. Food very good. Room in basement. . no view but otherwise lovely, Hot power shower and spacious bathroom , bedroom also roomy, Had twin beds but had a double duvet folded in half on my single bed!! not seen that before, heavy and hot so it spent most of the night on the floor. I would recommend this hotel but be sure not to be put in basement room.

Room Tip: do not get a room on -1 floor.
London
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We rang in the morning for a room that night & got a £20 discount.
The gentleman on reception was very welcoming & our initial reaction to the hotel was lovely & not over pretentious. Our room was in the attic space with velux windows giving us a lovely view. The room was clean & spacious. I would have given it 5 stars but the plug for the kettle meant I had to boil it on the floor & the shower over the bath was weak & kept changing temperature. Also the room didn't have air con or a fan & it was quite hot but being high up & opening the velux gave us a fab breeze. The beds were very comfortable.
The best bit about this hotel was the food our evening meal was superb & good value & our breakfast in the conservatory was equally as delicious.
This is a lovely country hotel which is not at all stuffy & we would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Liz33London
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Stayed one night and the dinner was fantastic, the hotel had lovely grounds and the views were idyllic, with bunny rabbits hopping throughout the lawn. our room was separated from the main building in the newest wing. Was slightly disappointed that although looked like other rooms had extended patio, ours was a simple basic room. As the weather had been so hot i luckily brought our own fan as no central air which made the rooms quite stuffy and hot. In all, the room itself was generally clean and sufficient though. Breakfast was included, even the hot breakfast which was very nicely done. there was my slight issue with seeing a dead fly on the table we were presented with, but we removed it ourselves. This was a good hotel to travel to other areas in the Cotswolds and staff were friendly. Not necessarily 4 star, but a nice choice nonetheless.

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham

Been to Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!