“Lovely but needs tweaking a little”

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The approach to the hotel is really lovely. Set back from the road in stunning well kept grounds. There is ample parking set over the whole site so parking is available near to wherever your room is. Check in was prompt and professional although I do agree with other reviews that more information on the hotel (where dinner is served, where the bar is etc) could be offered. We stayed in the Coach House, when approaching the building (it is away from the main house) I was quite disappointed not to have been offered a room in the main house but that was put behind us when we saw the room we were given. It was huge. There was a modern 4 poster bed, 2 armchairs, coffee table, open fire place (not in use). The well equipped bathroom was more than enough. The wardrobe was a separate closet in between the bedroom and hallway. The robes and slippers were a nice touch. We were on the ground floor and it was bliss, so quiet.
We had booked afternoon tea as part of our package and decided to take it in the bar area (this was nicely decorated with leather sofas and high bar stools). The tea was presented beautifully with good quality food, consisting of sandwiches, scones with jam and cream, carrot cake, bakewell tart, brownies and fresh leaf tea. I can honestly say that it was the best afternoon tea I have ever had, they should be proud of this. After this we took a walk in the grounds (to walk it off!).
Now for the let down...
We booked a table in the restaurant for 8:30. We arrived at the restaurant at 8:25 and were seated in a side room which was very quiet, with approximately 3 other couples who were already dining. After 5-10 minutes 3 more couples were seated in the same room. The waitress then proceeded to serve the other couples individually. She took their drinks order, then brought their drinks out, then took their food order, a bread roll was then brought out to them, then the chefs complimentary potato soup sampler....this was repeated another 2 times with the 2 other couples. It was quite obvious we had been missed off her list, my husband eventually called the waitress over when a fellow diner commented on how we had been forgotten. Our order was finally taken at approximately 9:00, we ate our main dishes 9:35 onwards. This was a let down as it felt like the meal dragged on. Putting this aside the food was good and well presented.
Breakfast. This was also a let down. I ordered a full English breakfast with a poached egg. What I got was a full English breakfast with an extremely underdone poached egg that left raw egg all over my breakfast. This was sent back to the kitchen and I was asked how I would like my egg, I said so that the white is not runny please. So when my breakfast was returned to me I cut into the egg to find it exactly the same as before and I was left with raw white all over it again. When I was approached to ask if everything was ok it was embarrassingly obvious by looking at my plate that it wasn't. I gave breakfast up as a bad job from then.
On check out we did highlight the bad service in the evening restaurant and was told that the waitresses had been given a new procedure on how to serve guests, so we couldn't blame the waitress for her illogical way of serving.
I have given this hotel a 4/5 simply because it is a really beautiful hotel that needs a little tweaking. It offers great value for money and I think it would make a fantastic wedding venue. The staff are friendly and welcoming and are doing their best (apart from the egg poacher!). Yes I would return without a doubt.

Room Tip: Although not in the main house room 52 in the coach house was a great room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We visited for the second year running for the annual dinner of a car club, arriving about 1800.

The hotel entrance is on a fast road and is difficult to see when coming from Stow, so for safety's sake could do with better marking in some way. Then the car park, which might be OK in daylight, was a confusing layout with little or no signage and lighting which might be good for pedestrians but dazzles drivers.

Charming and helpful receptionist showed us where we'd be dining later, and offered help with luggage. She also told us that if we wished the next morning we could check out early but retain our room key until we wanted to leave, to avoid queuing, and then just leave the key at the reception desk. What a good example of rare common sense. Why can't all hotels do this (unless they need last minute details of minibar usage)? Got to our room (No. 15 - which I think was the same one we had last year) which was spacious and impressive at first sight - then the irritations started.

The TV didn't work and there were no instructions for it (it was fixed quickly once we reported it at Reception before dinner though). The heated towel rail did not work, and when we reported it to reception we were told they were awaiting parts to fix it - oddly enough we then remembered the rail didn't work last year either! The shower controls were difficult to reach as they were at the far end of the bath and the screen wouldn't open far without meeting the wash basin. The controls were unlabelled and confusing but eventually we managed to work out how to have a bath (Mrs P) and shower (me). Not a good start to an evening after a two hour drive.

The bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean but a triumph of style over substance. The wash basin was a very modern style which would only contain about 2 inches of water and splashed water over you if you turned the tap on quickly. The bedroom furniture was cheap and nasty - the handle came off one bedside drawer, there were no handles on the chest of drawers and it needed two hands to open sticky drawers. It was made of cheap plastic-coated imitation woodgrain material and was rickety. Usually I take photos of rooms where we stay, as a memento, but I was by this time thoroughly disheartened and didn't bother.

Things looked up when we went downstairs. The bar was very crowded as usual but service and wine order were prompt. The set dinner was excellent in quality and just the right quantity. We had a most enjoyable evening.

Went to be and had difficulty sleeping due to bright light from the corridor showing through an excessive gap under our bedroom door. Should have got up and blocked it with cushions but didn't want to disturb Mrs P who couldn't see it from her side of the bed so was sleeping OK.

Breakfast next morning very good - excellent choice, and the sausages and bacon were of really good quality. Again the service was impeccable.

As mentioned above, checkout went easily.

All in all, the food was excellent, and all the staff friendly, courteous and very helpful. The downside of this hotel seems to be that it's been renovated on the cheap and the maintenance needs looking at. For what it cost, I expected better. We'd be happy (indeed very happy) to dine there but will not stay again if we can help it.

Room Tip: Do not accept Room 15 without checking all facilities are serviceable.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

stayed for three nights in november upgraded from garden room to the stable block free of charge. excellant room and large bathroom Could do with some work on stains in carpet in room 57 and the bedside lighting was poor but otherwise lovelly room .food was excellent and I would like to compliment the chef as the food was out of this world on every night '
would stay again
so good luck to the hotel and its staff

Room Tip: Stable block are excellant as long as you dont mind a short walk to main house for the restaurant
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a fantastic time at this lovely hotel in the beautiful Cotswolds. We went for the Escape spa break, which gave us two very relaxing massages and a sumptuous meal in the evening. We really enjoyed ourselves and would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2013

At first sight, all seems very good. We were checked in by a pleasant receptionist, giver our key and walked to the lift. However, when we reached our room, the key wouldn't turn in the lock. There was no phone reception, so my friend went back to reception while I waited with the luggage. The receptionist had to try two keys before we could get in, then said she had another in reception that she'd bring back as they'd had the same problem that morning!
I had a manicure booked, so left my friend in the room. It looked very pleasant, though our twin beds were very narrow despite there being plenty of room for wider ones.
We had a dinner reservation for 7.30, so went down to the bar at 7.15. Though he took an order from another couple, the bar man didn't ask us if we were dining, or pass us menus. While he was taking a tray of drinks to the restaurant I spotted a heap of them on the bar, so helped myself. We placed our order with him on his return, and twenty minutes later as we'd not been called to the restaurant, asked if our table was ready, and was told that it had been ready since the time it was booked for!
The food was OK, but not as exciting as we'd expected for a two AA rosette chef.
On the way back to our room, we noticed that that carpet was curling up in places, and some glasses which had been outside the room next door were still there.
The next morning, my friend went for first shower ... and couldn't get the temperature tap to move (it was one of the ones with a push button on the side that you push in before twisting the whole tap). It was stuck on cold. We both tried to shift it and it wasn't moving, so we decided to give up and go for breakfast. However, it wasn't that easy, as we could not completely stop the water from running! This along with the door problem and state of the corridor all show lack of staff taking ownership of problems and a lack of management presence to spot problems for themselves.
My friend and I meet up twice a year for a girlie night, and this, though not the cheapest, has been the most disappointing of our more recent stays.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a meeting. Excellent very large bedrooms, well equiped with trouser press, iron etc. good spacious bathroom and good value at £115 including dinner and breakfast, could be because it was a Monday. Bedroom lighting could do with a bit more power. Great helpful staff, but the star of the show was the food. Clearly a chef punching way above his weight! Elegant public rooms and lovely conservatory with terrific views. Our meeting room was perfect and with the extra treat of some delicious home baked cakes with afternoon tea which were really outstanding.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Position of the Hotel was marvellous set in acres of wooded land, yet just off the road. Can I just say the staff were fabulous, although the rooms had their own little foibles, there was no way that was going to detract from a fabulous week end. as their was up to 36 of us coming and going throughout the weekend we were served our evening dinners in an aptly named room to ourselves where the staff were very attentive. The food was well presented, and I think that pre ordering our meals went a long way to making everything go like a well a oiled timepiece. Breakfasts were long and leisurely, giving everyone a chance to chat and wake up for the coming day. Because we were a large group we were given a discount on the rooms which was greatly appreciated, they were in the main part spacious and well appointed; ours especially was big enough to hold a dance in!
I can recommend this hotel to any large group wanting a great weekend get-together

Room Tip: Try for rooms that look over the gardens (grassland) and towards Bourton on the water, and try avoid...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!