“Very pleasant 2 day stay, great room!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa

and 1 more site!
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
uk
“Very pleasant 2 day stay, great room!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Booked a package that included half board and a cream tea together with a room upgrade if available. Usually the upgrade doesn't happen but when i asked the receptionist if it was possible she said that it had been applied and sure enough we were in room 28 which was possibly the largest , most ornate room we have ever stayed in. Lovely views over the fields and we saw a few deer wandering by in the evenings. Large bathroom which had all we needed although the bath tap had a problem which we reported but was never fixed. All in all the room was perfect and we slept well in the huge bed.
Log fires in the lounges and reception were always welcoming and the food was excellent. The menu was the same each evening which could be a problem if you stayed more than a couple of nights. Staff were all very good and we were always met with a smile.
Used the spa for a couple of treatments which was excellent, such a shame they have no pool and several people I spoke to were of the same opinion.
Our package proved exceptional value for money considering our room and the quality of the food, booked via offpeakluxury.com.
All in all a lovely break away, highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms in the original house would be better with more character
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Through the Stone floored lobby to plushly carpeted reception where oak panelling, period furniture, a roaring fire and a warm welcome greet you. Couldn't fault the staff who were friendly and attentive. The beds are enormous, soft to the touch and firm beneath. The rooms have creaky floorboards but being on the top floor not a problem for us! Other than that a serene landscape unfolds from the window, the blackest and quietest of nights encourage your sleep and, did I mention the beds? Rich, feathery coverings above and below welcome your dreams. Dinner was well-cooked and Immaculately presented. Exquisite scrambled eggs, cooked to order like the rest of your breakfast start your day well. Despite being very old the building is draught-free (and solidly resisted the gales) and the heating more than up to the job. Only minor niggles let you down (inadequate light at the dressing table, and for this price lack of mineral water in the room) but a very nice stay all round.

Room Tip: 34 probably has a good view
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel twice. Once with my daughter and again with my partner and on both occasions I was blown away by the staff. They were wonderful, I don't think I ever received such brilliant customer service. From looking out for my sick daughter, to changing my room, sorting out a cab when I called stranded in the local town, from even offering to run me a bath so that it was ready for me on my return from being stranded in the local town (that one blew me away!!!) It seemed the staff couldn't do enough for us.

On the visit with my partner our room, although nice had quite a small window. It was still a lovely room, but not as bright as the one I had stayed in previously with my daughter. I mentioned this to the lady at reception and without hesitation was showed three other rooms that they felt would be much more suitable. The one I settled on was absolutely beautiful. It was in the courtyard, so a short walk from the main hotel, but was well worth it. Four poster bed, sofas and chairs, fireplace (although for health and safety unfortunately you can't light it), massive bathroom with the most amazing shower and a jacuzzi bath - let's just say, we were very happy!

It is hard to do a write up that justifies the stay, but I have stayed in a lot of hotels and have to say this (for many reasons) is definitely up there as one of my favourite places which I hope to return to.

If I had to give a downside, I would say that the spa was a little disappointing. Mainly because it doesn't have much in it. Just a sauna and steam room. There are more than enough treatments available, but make sure you book in advance as they get very busy. However, if you are looking for somewhere with a spa that you can spend the day in, this probably isn't going to do it for you. Saying that though, there are so many other lovely chill out areas in the hotel (comfy sofas with lit fires, a library with fireplace, beautiful grounds with great views, a terrace, outdoor chill cabin area etc) that I wasn't too bothered, and normally I am a spa girl! So, if it kept me happy minus the spa, I would say it wasn't missed!

I would definitely recommend this hotel - amazing staff, lovely rooms, beautiful surroundings, great walk routes and please make sure you take a walk to Bourton on Sea as it is such a gorgeous little town. All in all, I was extremely impressed!

Room Tip: Room 54 is amazing!
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here with a friend. Staff very friendly and efficient. Room very clean, great shower, everything we needed but on reflection, we maybe should have upgraded for a better view. However we really weren't in it that much. Ate dinner there both nights. Very reasonably priced (we ate from the set menu and it was included in our package on the first night). Beautifully presented, very tasty and though not the biggest portions, we couldn't have eaten another thing! Breakfast was very good. All tastes catered for. The hotel is ideally situated, being only a couple of miles from Stow and Bourton on the Water. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We've just spent a very pleasant couple of days at Wyck Hill House Hotel. We arrived early so was unable to book in, so went for a walk.. this didn't end well due to all the rain, so headed back to hotel covered in mud and was warmly greeted by staff who must have felt sorry for us because we were upgraded! The hotel is very clean and warm, the libary is wonderful, filled with lots of old books which you can look at, we spent all evening reading the Punch books. The only down side was the evening meal - although beautifully cooked and served it was for it's price very small. The main course was literally meat with a decoration of the smallest amount of vegetable. (very modern I suppose but I like vegetables with my meal especially at the price of £82.00 for 2!!) Our second night we found an old inn in Stow on the Wold and ate to a standstill!!! for £30.00 for 2!!!

Room Tip: lower ground rooms are quiet and have a balcony with a view and in good weather would be lovely to s...
EN75AG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

My wife and I were in search of a two night rest and relaxation break and chose here. On booking we were invited to upgrade to the Coach House accommodation. It was described as a very spacious room with a 4 poster bed and lounge area approximately 100 metres from the main hotel. We took the upgrade and found there to be around 6 "coach houses" in two rows standing away from the main hotel. Our room had another room above us despite the fact we asked for a quiet room.
The room was indeed large and very comfortable but it is the first time that I have had a 4 poster bed without any drapes/curtains around the bed. As a result it looked like something straight out of IKEA and not at all pleasant. In fact it significantly detracted from the ambience of the room.
The layout of the room was such that one could not watch the TV from the bed. Had a little more thought gone into the room layout this could have been corrected and the room become more functional. Sadly the room telephone did not work which is particularly sad since the only way to communicate with say reception was to walk the 100 metres to there, in this case in the rain!
We were promised it would be fixed the following morning-guess what-it wasn't. The dvd unit also did not work and had to be replaced.
Room service the following morning failed to replace the water glasses(plastic) and when we returned to the room late afternoon, Because the telephone still did not work I had to walk to reception to have this corrected. We then went out again and they still had not been provisioned by the time we got back. ANOTHER walk up to reception to be told that the room staff had tried to deliver the glasses but because there was no one in the room they were not allowed to go in with the glasses!!! How on earth do they service the rooms then?
Otherwise the staff and service was excellent, we enjoyed the evening meal that we had and the breakfast was again varied and excellent.
It is very much worth another visit. We will have to be selective with the room request and think beyond the sales rhetoric.

Room Tip: Coach house rooms are well worth a try for space and comfort, if not for the soft furnishings
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

As we turned the bend in the long drive, we were delighted to see we were staying at such a pretty old place, were greeted pleasantly and directed to our room on the first floor which looked out onto the front of the building (and carparks) and which was surprisingly large (huge) and done in the sort of modern executive style, which is a bit at odds with the architecture of the Hotel. (Victorian, allbeit in lovely Cotswold stone) I think anyway; back to the room..room in need of a bit of a facelift, lovely and warm though and attractive bathroom, large, warm, huge bath ( had a bit of a laugh getting out of it, but that's another story) decent shower in the bath, excellent towels, and plenty of lovely soapy things, as you would expect. Hot, hot water. Bliss. Bed very comfortable, and the bedlinen and pillows beautiful quality. More bliss.

Dinner was lovely, wine lovely, presented beautifully, hot and delicious. Chef knows what he's doing, without a doubt. Dining room a bit nippy, but it was a windy cold weekend in February.. and it is in the Conservatory, or the bit we were in was, with the other half in a smaller dining room attached. We had coffee in the library, with lovely chocolatey home made whatnots. Breakfast next morning was good quality, hot (plates very hot) although I don't care for bacon folded over (so that it sticks to itself as on Brittany Ferries)scrambled eggs good, and next day's poached eggs(tricky things to do) were excellent. The view in daylight from the dining room is breathtakingly lovely. Right across the Windrush valley. We ate in the bar the next evening, in front of a roaring log fire. (smashing sandwiches, hot ciabatta bread, with what you could call generous fillings) Lighting a bit dim in there, but fire lovely.

We both had a 'stress busting' treatment (head, neck and shoulders massage) in the Spa, which did exactly what it said on the tin...lovely finish to a lovely couple of days.

The staff were all delightful, helpful and professional. Charming, all. The hotel seemed to us to be run properly and very well.

We loved it, and would be happy to go again, but perhaps in better weather (my birthday would do fine, in September, please) so that we could have a good bash at the gardens and grounds.

Would have liked to know about the history of the place. Thank you and well done.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out onto the valley would be the thing. Although our rooms on the other side of the h...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
Cotswold House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Chipping Campden
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,066 reviews
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!