“Some problems but staff quick to help and didn't smother us.”

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 13 June 2010

My wife booked this hotel as it was one of those we could use our tesco vouchers at. We are used to being given the second class rooms because we are using vouchers but the rooms on this occasion were very good. The (mostly Polish) staff were very accomodating and we were shown our room (number 44) in the orangery. This accomodation block is about 100 yards from the main building, reached by climbing a few steps and a pathway across lawns. After staying one night in this room, we found the bed hard enough to irritate an old back pain and the shower impossible to control other than very hot or cold. When I came out swearing from the shower, I found my wife surrounded by smoke from the hair drier. The wires had come out and were sparking. There was insulating tape wrapped around it from a previous repair. Having taken the hair dryer to reception on our way to breakfast, and telling the duty manager about the shower, we were given keys for another room in the same block, number 42. This was an improvement.
We had an absolutely wonderful meal with perfect wine and service, and retired to the library for drinks and a quiet read.
We can forgive the purely cosmetic problems with the rooms and our observations were treated well and quickly. The chef is to be complemented. The only Hungarian waitress was very good, and even taught me a couple of hungarian phrases.

Altogether, a very nice relaxing break. Views a little restricted by heavy tree cover but good enough. Plenty of good parking and 250 acres to walk around in. Look out for nettles and low hanging tree branches. A good pair of walking shoes would be a good idea!

There are newer reviews for Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 6 June 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in a garden room in the Orangery. THe room was obviously newley done but not quite finished to the standard that the rest of the hotel (public areas) had been. The bathroom, whilst fine was spoilt by the saftely bars all over it (how do some hotels get away without these and others seem to have to have them?). THe room sadly had horrid black ash furniture and was blandly decorated, however the bed was huge and comfy, lovely fresh and fluffy towels and bathrobes but sadly no thought as to where the hairdryer might be plugged in if you wanted to see a mirror at the same time. Anyway, all in all, fine.
THe hotel and ground are lovely, especially the quite lawns. The food in the restaurant was top notch and well priced. My only critisim of the restaurant would be the constant music playing over the sound system both in the morning (spanish radio!) and the evening musac! NOt sure they need this at all.
Good location cose to Moreton and Chipping Campden, I would recommend this hotel but perhaps get an upgraded room.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2010

This hotel is a work in progress. We are not fussy but I cannot forgive a misleading web site. It stated that the room had broadband (did not work), a laptop safe (still on order) and a dvd player (you have to ask for one).

Also our room no 50, had no windows only a patio door which meant there was no ventilation at night making it very stuffy in hot weather so we had two sleepless nights. Also the rooms are not very secure and housekeeping left ours unlocked one day.

Everything else was OK rather than good which is a shame as this hotel could be very good if it raised its standards. For every good aspect there was a bad aspect from our point of view although I can see why people like it if they did not encounter any problems.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2010

On saturday i booked treatments for my mum as i had an appointment in the area. My mum said she was treated like a queen ! the staff at the spa were lovely she said and when i was delayed at my appointment the reception staff infomed my mum so she didnt worry. We were late for our afternoon tea we had booked but they kindly served us tea and scones . I have to say i was made so welcome and all the staff were so lovely i am going to book to stay here as soon as i can !!! Thankyou

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank belley
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed here over bank holiday weekend and we had a fantastic time! I don't really know where to start... Our room (a feature room) was beautiful with a large on-suite bathroom, it was luxury.

The food was faultless, we especially enjoyed a lovely evening meal in the conservatory which has fantastic panoramic views over the Cotswold's.

Even with the usual bank holiday weather the hotel was fantastic, the staff were exceptionally kind, and my fiance surprised me with beautiful flowers in the room which he organised through the hotel. We also treated ourselves to a treatment each in the spa which was so relaxing!

My parents also stayed at the hotel at the same weekend as us and found it as beautiful and welcoming. What is so nice about this hotel is that it has aspects which are modern but it incorporates the exceptional character of the hotel as well.

To express how much a enjoyed our stay here and how beautiful the hotel is.... we have just booked our forth coming wedding here! Do we need to say anymore?

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Stayed at the hotel for two nights with two friends. We got a really good deal which included a 30min spa treatment, breakfast and dinner.

Well where do I start?? We arrived to be greeted at the door with a request to carry our luggage. They were expecting us and check in was quick and smooth. The rooms were HUGE, bathrobes, flat screen tv, just great!

We had booked a 30min spa treatment but were able to upgrade it to a full hours. They were really busy but because they were booked agreed to stay late so that all three of us could get an hours treatment.

DInner in the restautrant was to die for, could not fault any of it. they rounded it off with coffee and petit fours in the library. Breakfast was equally fab.

The only very slight moans..........

We could have been told to make a booking for the restauarnt as they were fully booked so could not eat there on the sat when we arrive, equally for the spa, although like i said they were very willing to stay late. Breakfast came first and then had to wait 5mins for the toast, but you know what in the grand scheme of things this is a real minor moan.

Would we go back, hell yes!!!

A great break and would so recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Just got back from a two night stay at the hotel. My husband had booked it despite my concerns. I was worried some of the old problems would have resurfaced.

However, I have to admit he chose very well. It is a beautiful hotel and Stowe is delightful.

The hotel room was really large and we had a peaceful nights sleep. The service was attentive and friendly and the breakfast was delicious.

Stratford Upon Avon and Oxford are both within 30-40 minutes of Stowe so it is a great location. Lots of cute Cotsworld villages, e.g. Bourton, Burford and Moreton are 10-20 minutes away.

For information, we found a significantly discounted room on the internet.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!