“The staff were very pleasant but the whole place needs refurbishing”
Review of The Unicorn Hotel

The Unicorn Hotel
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We stayed here on a Saturday night to attend a friends wedding and my parents were also staying at the hotel to baby sit our son. Both rooms were a decent size and very clean but everything in them was completely out of date and worn out. The bathroom looked like it had last been updated in the 1970's. The spare bed in my parents room had springs poking out of the mattress it was so old.
My parents ate in the restaurant and said the food was very good but the evening was somewhat spoiled by rain water pouring down one of the interior walls.
And breakfast was dismal, just some cereals and toast with no cooked breakfast available.
Overall I thought it was far too expensive but I couldn't fault the helpfulness and general friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
UnicornHotel, Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and regarding the refurbishment of the rooms, it is planned for the future but we do reduce prices to reflect that but I cannot comment on yoour individual reservation cost as your review is anominous. The building dates back to 1642 so we do have leaks and maintenance issues which are rectified as soon as is possible but I do hope that it did not detract from you evening too much. The continental breakfast is a buffet so guests can eat as much or as little as they choose and consists of fresh fruit salad, homebaked danish pastries and croissants, fresh finger rolls, quality gammon ham, cheeses, quality toast, cereals, fruit juices, normal and herbal teas and coffee. Our rates do vary depending on the time of year, mid week or weekend and we do set out to be value for money.
Best regards
Chris martin

Reviewed 28 May 2011

We did not stay at this hotel but since we were passing through we decided to stop for a lunch time meal. I have two issues with this hotel and the first one was the food. We ordered from a very expensive menu for a lunch meal and when it arrived to be honest it was disgusting, not home cooked or even nicely presented and it was not even cooked properly but before I had a chance to complain I now I come to the second issue. Before we even had a chance to really eat this meal my father was taken ill suddenly and an ambulance had to be called, as you can imagine there was chaos to say the least so the last thing on our minds was this dreadful food. We were told that we had to pay full price for the food (can you inagine this) before we left until I complained while my father was being treated by a paramedic and we were discounted one meal. The manager seemed a decent person but I have to say in view of what was going on absolutley no compassion. Just another money grabbing hotel and we will never go there ever again and I will certainly not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank jojo0811
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2011

I was somewhat shocked when I read this review as I had been as helpful and understanding as possible redarding your fathers illness.
We offer a 2 course lunch for £12.50 from our normal menu so that it is in fact good value for money. I understand from the waitress that you had asked her if we can do childrens portions for you although you are adults but we can offer sandwickes or starters.
On realising that your father was taken ill, I was very concerned as I have seen this condition before so I called a paramedic and waited outside for them to arrive so that I could direct them to your father, I then made myself available for you and the paramedics. The bill was presented to you automatically but due to your predicament, I discounted one of the meals as a gesture of good will. The meal was not touched by yourselves therefore It cannot be described as "disgusting" and everyone who ate that day was very happy.
I certainly was compassionate and very concerned for your father's welfare and was appalled at your comments particuarly as you had said how helpful I was when you were here.

Chris martin

Reviewed 22 May 2011

Didnt stay here but ate here twice during our stay in the Cotswolds. Food is consistently good and the main courses especially are very good value for money, Had also eaten here last year and the food was also good at that time. The European waitress was extremely competent and helpful. Only complaint is that the Manager was not helpful, did not explain himself well when we arrived and was rather abrupt - had we not eaten here earlier in our stay the "welcome" we gave would have been enough to turn us away.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank theresa48
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2011

Thank you for your constructive words about your experience at The Unicorn. I am sorry that I did not come across as welcoming, I can assure you that it was a rare occurance and will endeavour to get it right next time.

Best regards

Chris Martin

Reviewed 29 April 2011

We stayed here for one night and found the Unicorn a lovely surprise, the rooms were very comfortable and clean and the staff were exceptionaly friendly and met every request with a smile and a quick response.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aussietrippers00
Reviewed 15 March 2011

This hotel claims to be a gem and its not, i stayed here a few years ago and can see that nothing has changed by the recent updates, management and service was dreadful despite a supposed superior room, crisps out of date, could not get mini bar restocked because manager had taken keys home by mistake. Offered any table in restaurant only to be moved half way through meal because someone else came in and had reserved table we were given by manager. Complained but manager was just rude. Wouldnt stay here again if you paid me its that bad!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank premiershopfitters
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Booked for a very last minute romantic stay in the Costwolds for the Valentines weekend and the price was expectedly high as a result. Mix up on laterooms (have to accept that it was my fault!!!) resulted in a a very unromantic twin room. The European receptionist was very unsympathetic. Laterooms customer service were brilliant and tried to get a room change as the website showed that there plenty of rooms available. However the website had not been updated as the member of staff responsible was "away"!!! We wanted to go and find a more suitable venue for our romantic evening but were informed that the policy was we had to cancel 48 hours before arrival. This was inspite of the fact that we booked at 10am the morning of arrival!!!! The decor of the ground floor of the Hotel is great. However, the upstairs is best described as shabby. The bed spreads were stained and the blankets had holes in them (moths or fag burns????). Some of the tiles in the bathroom were cracked and some had been replaced with ones that did not match the originals. The mixer tap on the bath/shower did not work. Water sprayed everywhere!!! We tried everything and had to have a rushed bath. The receptionist suggested that we did not know how to work a mixer tap and that she would "look into it" as no one else had complained. At dinner the "A la Carte" dinner menu was basically a choice of 3 mains as the others came with "supplement" charges. The starters were outstanding. My partner and I ordered the same main but was informed by the European waitress (only 2 staff were visible all night) that they only had one portion of this particular main course left. I therefore had to pay a supplement for the only other dish I fancied. In what can only be described as a "Fawlty Towers" moment, the receptionist/barmaid asked my partner if she had hit me yet for booking the wrong room!!!! Fawlty Towers still exists in Stow (which incidently is a beautiful and very romantic town).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ceri0
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Has a great night away here...very cosy and staff all friendly and helpful. Excellent value for money and delicious food. Cosying up in front of the fire was a great end to the evening.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Stow Lodge Hotel
Stow Lodge Hotel
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Unicorn Hotel? Share your experiences!