“Old world charm hotel”
Review of The Unicorn Hotel

The Unicorn Hotel
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed in September 2011.
We enjoyed staying in a hotel with character. The room was small but that didn't matter. The bathroom was very clean. The staff are very friendly. We had a great night sleep.The hotel has the old world charm. We enjoyed our dinner and sitting in the bar or lounge area. Free wireless internet was great.
Will recommend it to our family and friends.

• Stayed: September 2011
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

I do try to achieve exactly what you state in your pleasant review

There are newer reviews for The Unicorn Hotel

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Unfortunately for us this hotel is located on the busy A429 and the traffic noise made it impossible for a good nights' sleep, despite moving from a room facing the A429 to one facing Sheep Street. Then late at night we had the disturbance from staff in the living quarters above our room! The hotel's public rooms downstairs are attractive and pleasant but overall the hotel is tired. Housekeeping aspects need a firmer control with regard to cleaning. The assistant Manageress is excellent and went out of her way to make our 3 night stay as comfortable as possible. Overall the attitude comes over as very laid back, rather than efficient and professional.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Sheep Street, but beware of the noise from the staff above, as well as traffic...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cherryimp

Thank you for your review and we are a coaching Inn on the A429 and Sheep street but 18 of the 20 rooms do have secondary double glazing which does work very well as I do stay in the Hotel when on a late followed by an early shift but sometimes guests do not slide the glazing shut which will of course means that noise will be filtered into the room.

I have spoken about the noise from staff to them, so thank you for bringing up that comment.

It would have been useful to have mentioned before you left which parts of housekeeping need improving and again your comment about the lack of professionalism and efficiency is rather an open comment without any examples or evidence.

I do provide a full Hotel service at sub - bed and breakfast rates

Reviewed 9 October 2011

I was a resident at The Unicorn Hotel, where I found the front rather grubby looking, never judge a book by it's cover, came into the hotel and was greeted in the best manor, went to the room no.4 and our faces dropped the bedroom was dark and the furniture had seen better days, stains on the wall and the bathroom wall was peeling GRUBBY !!!, I went down the road to compare rooms at the grapevine and they showed me there first room and I felt that it ticked all the boxes, well presented room and for the same amount of money we also got a full English breakfast £180 for 2 nights, we also went around the village to enquire what they thought about the unicorn and all I was given was bad reviews, went back to the hotel and asked if we could be moved somewhere else but she gave us a second option and gave us keys to door no.1 where we still felt it just wasnt hitting the standard that a hotel should hit although very spacious than the last room, we were still not happy and asked to move, she wanted to charge us a cancelation fee for one night of £80, I wouldnt have payed that amount of money for a room that a pig would live happily in, I would also like to add the pictures you show look nothing like the room you gave us so I took some myself and would like to give the choice of putting them up or I will, I hope you guys understand how angry I am and would like you guys to reply back to this message

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank 103Ash
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

The language used in this review is somewhat dis-heartening and I will not be responding in the same tone.

I was told by my assistant Manager that the guests in question walked in to The Hotel and simply stated "we want an upgrade". They had not seen the room, they had not mentioned their name nor that they were checking in.
They went to their room and were not happy so my manager upgraded them to a superior room which was larger with a superking bed ( normal price £120 ) the guests were offered just the reduced standard room price of £80 and they were still not happy as they would have to pay a cancellation charge as there was nothing wrong with the room.
The person on reception at The other hotel who now works for The Unicorn, offered them a room similar to our room at a similar price but they wanted dinner at £50 included in the price. She obviously turned down the guest's request.

We do not normally receive these sort of comments in our reviews or from our guests checking out of the Hotel

Best Regards

Reviewed 2 October 2011

stayed here 30th-2nd october in room 10 lovely place loved the wonky floors decor is not dated its character as not having hot breakfast just continental so what , food in the evening makes more than up for it so just enjoy definately comming back

Room Tip: ambience in room 10
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and that you like the old world charm here. I do hope that I can welcome you back to The Unicorn soon

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 October 2011

Only stayed for 2 night break. But enjoyed the hotel is in a nice location to stow,With plenty of secure parking .This is 16** old with charm, not the savoy
with squeaks and creeks.we loved it,
Really nice freindly staff and helpful. food well presented .Nice breakfast selection available, if outside eating is your thing. Stow offers pletty of places to eat, And a nice central spot for sightseeing. All in all a nice visit,

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

I am glad that you loved it here and that you stay was enjoyable

All the best

Reviewed 18 September 2011

We met with some old friends at the Unicorn and were instantly taken with the wonderful atmosphere in the hotel. This is an old building and it has been tastefully decorated completely in keeping with its age. The floors are interestingly uneven and bits of furniture can sit at odd angles, which only adds to the charm of the place. The rooms are not large but they are furnished beautifully with the occasional antique table or chair again adding to the atmosphere. The plumbing, while perhaps needing an update, nonetheless delivered a better shower then we have had in many a more modern “boutique” hotel. Despite being located close to the A40, we experienced no undue road noise. The staff, particularly on reception, were friendly and very helpful. In sum, this is a little gem of a hotel, which maintains the character of an old English Inn. It stands in marked contrast to some of the other hotels and pubs in Stow, many of which (the Queen’s Head being the obvious exception) have been marred and despoiled by insensitive modernisations. We thoroughly recommend this hotel, and we hope to return one day soon.

1  Thank Karen_Oaksford
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

Thank you for your kind words and I really look forward to seeing you again here very soon. One point I would make is that you personally love older properties dating back to in the case of the Unicorn, Circa 1642 but some guests do prefer the boutique or very modern style of property which we are not ,so it is very difficult to please everyone all the time but I do try my utmost to make everyone's stay enjoyable.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

Having read the reviews on this website, the Unicorn looked just right for us - and I'd looked at a lot!!! We wanted to grab a quick weekend (three nights), next weekend, and the Unicorn fitted the bill beautifully. I checked on the website for availability - all systems go. However, I always like to phone a hotel direct to book rooms, rather than reserve online. We like to order dinner for every evening as well, and sort out arrival times etc., plus my husband is rather tall - 6.5" - so I like to make sure he can fit into the bed!
My call was answered promptly and I enquired about rooms, I was told some were available and asked to hold the line for a moment, which was fine. Over 6 minutes later (checked on my handset) I hung up. Throughout this time I could hear 'movement' in the distance but that was all - this way I knew we were still connected. After I hung up, I redialled and hung on........Have now decided that this might be an indication of the service and standards at the hotel, so have decided that this is probably not the place for us. What a shame.

1  Thank devondubliner

What a shame

that you felt the need to write such an exhaustive public review of The Unicorn Hotel which was based on one phone call, I have done some investigation and we did have problems on that day with the wireless phone we all use so that we are multi tasking rather than sitting at a desk.
What a shame that you didn't give us a chance so that you could have reviewed your complete stay here with a more informed opinion.

Chris Martin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Stow Lodge Hotel
Stow Lodge Hotel
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Unicorn Hotel? Share your experiences!