“A lovely old hostelry”
Review of The Unicorn Hotel

The Unicorn Hotel
Reviewed 7 November 2011

A very friendly welcome to this lovely old coaching house. Smallish room but perfectly adequate and well appointed, nice comfy bed as well. Free car parking right opposite the Unicorn. A good selection of beers if that is what you like (I do). Nice, plentiful continental style breakfast. All in all tremendous value for money in this beautiful part of the world.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

We do set out to be friendly and welcoming which I believe is easier because we are a small privately owned Hotel.
Do ask for a larger room next time and I will try to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

Four of us stayed two nights at the Unicorn and wished it could have been much longer. Our stay was a high light of our two week visit to Britain. The Unicorn has the feel of it's 400+ year history with all of the modern conveniences - including WiFi. Full of age and character, a staff that could not have been more friendly and accomodating, very clean and modern bathrooms / bedrooms and best of all on a cold fall evening, a log fire burning in the hearth to curl up by. There is lots of free parking across the street. The breakfast was perfect - a French press to produce coffee, warm croissants, and all the rest made our stay wonderful. We were all mystified and wonder about the judgement and motivations of the few folks who have made negative comments about the Unicorn on this web site. A stay at the Unicorn Inn will not disappoint, but only add to a wonderful visit to this part of Britain.

Room Tip: We found all of the rooms very quiet due to double glazing at all of the windows.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank dburi
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2011

Thank you so much for your recent review
I have to say that it was a real pleasure meeting you all and hearing about your travels in the UK.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here and I do hope that you might come back some time as we are upgrading breakfast to full English breakfast due to requests from customers.We offered continental breakfast due to the recession and staffing. We will still be offering really good value for money rooms with a cooked breakfast included.

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 November 2011

I'm from the Anitpodes and had hired a small car to get around the smaller places in the UK. I had been to the Cotswolds in the past and was eager to go back. I remembered that I had liked Stow very much. The Inn was easy to find. In fact as you drive in you pass it. There is limited parking outside the Inn but people can park in their carpark over the road. It is an older Inn 16th or 17th century.

I had a room on the 3rd floor which was the top floor and was the only person on that floor on my second night. I was delighted with my room after staying in several other tiny b & bs. I was pleased I was on the top floor though as the floors were delighfully creaky!The room was large with a lovely bed, desk and chair and stand for the case, wardrobe and then a spacious bathroom with a bath! sheer luxury. I was in the UK for a month and only 2 of the places I stayed at had a bath and a shower.

I could only access the WiFi in the lobby but that was OK. There was a great bar come restaurant, in which we had breakfast. The breakfast was more than adequate as well. My room overlooked the road which was noisy during the day but fine at night and at least I could keep an eye on my car.

Staff were fantastic as well and I met some other lovely travellers. Most places I stayed would not warrant a return but I definitely would come back here. Such character and charm

Room Tip: probably facing inwards
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for your very thorough review.

I do deliberately make sure the floors are creaky for authenicity. Seriously I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here and I do hope that I can eventually have WiFi installed in all the rooms.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed in September 2011.
We enjoyed staying in a hotel with character. The room was small but that didn't matter. The bathroom was very clean. The staff are very friendly. We had a great night sleep.The hotel has the old world charm. We enjoyed our dinner and sitting in the bar or lounge area. Free wireless internet was great.
Will recommend it to our family and friends.

• Stayed: September 2011
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

I do try to achieve exactly what you state in your pleasant review

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Unfortunately for us this hotel is located on the busy A429 and the traffic noise made it impossible for a good nights' sleep, despite moving from a room facing the A429 to one facing Sheep Street. Then late at night we had the disturbance from staff in the living quarters above our room! The hotel's public rooms downstairs are attractive and pleasant but overall the hotel is tired. Housekeeping aspects need a firmer control with regard to cleaning. The assistant Manageress is excellent and went out of her way to make our 3 night stay as comfortable as possible. Overall the attitude comes over as very laid back, rather than efficient and professional.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Sheep Street, but beware of the noise from the staff above, as well as traffic...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cherryimp

Thank you for your review and we are a coaching Inn on the A429 and Sheep street but 18 of the 20 rooms do have secondary double glazing which does work very well as I do stay in the Hotel when on a late followed by an early shift but sometimes guests do not slide the glazing shut which will of course means that noise will be filtered into the room.

I have spoken about the noise from staff to them, so thank you for bringing up that comment.

It would have been useful to have mentioned before you left which parts of housekeeping need improving and again your comment about the lack of professionalism and efficiency is rather an open comment without any examples or evidence.

I do provide a full Hotel service at sub - bed and breakfast rates

Reviewed 9 October 2011

I was a resident at The Unicorn Hotel, where I found the front rather grubby looking, never judge a book by it's cover, came into the hotel and was greeted in the best manor, went to the room no.4 and our faces dropped the bedroom was dark and the furniture had seen better days, stains on the wall and the bathroom wall was peeling GRUBBY !!!, I went down the road to compare rooms at the grapevine and they showed me there first room and I felt that it ticked all the boxes, well presented room and for the same amount of money we also got a full English breakfast £180 for 2 nights, we also went around the village to enquire what they thought about the unicorn and all I was given was bad reviews, went back to the hotel and asked if we could be moved somewhere else but she gave us a second option and gave us keys to door no.1 where we still felt it just wasnt hitting the standard that a hotel should hit although very spacious than the last room, we were still not happy and asked to move, she wanted to charge us a cancelation fee for one night of £80, I wouldnt have payed that amount of money for a room that a pig would live happily in, I would also like to add the pictures you show look nothing like the room you gave us so I took some myself and would like to give the choice of putting them up or I will, I hope you guys understand how angry I am and would like you guys to reply back to this message

• Stayed: October 2011
5  Thank 103Ash
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2011

The language used in this review is somewhat dis-heartening and I will not be responding in the same tone.

I was told by my assistant Manager that the guests in question walked in to The Hotel and simply stated "we want an upgrade". They had not seen the room, they had not mentioned their name nor that they were checking in.
They went to their room and were not happy so my manager upgraded them to a superior room which was larger with a superking bed ( normal price £120 ) the guests were offered just the reduced standard room price of £80 and they were still not happy as they would have to pay a cancellation charge as there was nothing wrong with the room.
The person on reception at The other hotel who now works for The Unicorn, offered them a room similar to our room at a similar price but they wanted dinner at £50 included in the price. She obviously turned down the guest's request.

We do not normally receive these sort of comments in our reviews or from our guests checking out of the Hotel

Best Regards

Reviewed 2 October 2011

stayed here 30th-2nd october in room 10 lovely place loved the wonky floors decor is not dated its character as not having hot breakfast just continental so what , food in the evening makes more than up for it so just enjoy definately comming back

Room Tip: ambience in room 10
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and that you like the old world charm here. I do hope that I can welcome you back to The Unicorn soon

Kind regards

Chris Martin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Stow Lodge Hotel
Stow Lodge Hotel
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Unicorn Hotel? Share your experiences!