“Superb!!”

The Unicorn Hotel
Welford, United Kingdom
“Superb!!”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Stopped here for two nights as a valentine treat with my fiance.
We originally chose this hotel based on trip adviser reviews and also the fantastic responses from the Manager Chris who became a legend in our eyes well before we arrived lol!!

We were met with some smiles and good local walking ideas and advice at reception.
We had room number 5 facing the busy streets but this was never a problem for us.
The room was very nice as was the hotel with plenty of room, extremely comfy bed and nice large en suit with a powerful shower over the bath.

The room was directly above the bar area of the hotel but any noise we heard was shortlived as the bed was dreamy and we soom fell asleep on both nights.
The hotel has a bar and dining area which is kept very clean and the decor of the room and hotel as a whole was in keeping with the history of the area and we found it very nice indeed.

All staff worked very hard and the food and service was top notch.
we had a rib eye steak with all the trimmings on our first night and very well priced and very well cooked. The breakfast were divine with great choices also.
We explored the local area on foot and walked to the Slaughters and Bourton on the water.

This hotel has it all for anyone who wants to stop in a quaint hotel in such a fantastic part of England.
Our only disappointment was not to meet Chris the manager in person and get his autograph!!!.
Highly recommended!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Greg O
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2013
Thanks for taking the trouble to review The Unicorn and apologies that I was not here to welcome you personally as I was off for a week (decorating) but back now and it sounds from your review that Jana and Zoe looked after you very well in my absence.

I do hope that I'll be here if you come back to see us soon.

All the best and thanks again

Chris Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Met up through FR from 45 years ago in Croesyceiliog Grammar School, Cwmbran. Ex rugby playing mates and partners - we also met up for our 50th, and this was to celebrate the fact that we had managed to survive, relatively intact (not necessarily a view held by our wives!)

Rooms were cosy and clean with decent bed and pillows, good quality bedding, and although everything was quaint and dated, we had no complaint with the overall quality of the accommodation.

The service was superb, the manager and staff were both professional and extremely helpful - even setting up a tv in the lounge bar so we could watch Wales beaten by Ireland - well, you cant have everything!

Food was excellent and the selection of beer and wine was good.

Would I return - yes - the weekend package was good value for money! Stow-on-the-Wold is a small market Cotswold town with lots of quaint buildings and shops to visit - we would thoroughly recomment the American Coffee shop in the town centre.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the centre of the hotel seemed to be larger and of slightly higher quality.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
I am always more than happy to apease fellow six nation rugby fans so placing the TV in the bar for you was no trouble at all. I am very happy that you all enjoyed your weekend here and in the Cotswolds.

Best regards

Warwickshire
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband took me here for my birthday. The food was excellent.The Staff were very pleasant, they even put a birthday card in the room, which I though was a very nice thing to do. The room was lovely. We would definitely go there again. Stow is such a lovely place to be.

Room Tip: We had superior room although it is on the main road it was a lovely room
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words and a balated happy birthday from me as I was on holiday for a week. It would have been Jana or Zoe, Assisant Managers who would have put the birthday card in your room.

Do come back next year

Halesowen, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Just returned from a one night stay including dinner. Received a very warm welcome and all staff were very polite and helpful. The whole hotel was very well run and spotless. Food very good quality and value and served in very nice surroundings. Our only negatitive was that we had a room at the front of the hotel which over looked the main road which we found noisey through the night. We will be booking again but will request a room away from the main road .

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here Some of the rooms do overlook the main road as the Hotel was a coaching inn dating back to 1642. They do have secondary glazing and it should work very well but do always make sure that they are slid closed to maximise their effect.

Hope to see you again

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2013

we recently had the pleasure of spending an overnight stay at this 'oldie worldie' hotel in the Cotswolds.The manager Chris and deputy manager Jana were extremley helpful and pleasant as were all of the other staff who we came into contact with and nothing was too much trouble.Our bedrooms although not huge were practical and very clean( lovely crisp clean sheets), the rest of the hotel was also clean and tidy.The 8 of us who stayed at the hotel all dined there on the Saturday night , all agreed how good the food and service was,breakfast the next morning was excellent and set us up for the day.The hotel is ideally situated for touring around the Cotswolds and i would recommend a stay and we will be returning.Just to round the weekend off i left a pair of walking boots in the bedroom and recieved a phone call on the way home to inform me of this,as i was too far away to return Jana kindly put them in the post the next morning for me ,now thats what i call looking after the customers

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the main road as these are quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
I am so pleased that we exceeded your expectations during your stay here last weekend. I do hope that you enjoyed the Rugby after putting the TV in the bar for you (unfortunately I missed the full England - Scotland match later that day but managed to catch the highlights) - I do hope that I can take the opportunity of welcoming back such wonderful guests. I will pass on your thanks to Jana as well.

All the best

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We had a lovely break, we stayed in Room 1, which is an upgrade but well worth it, nice clean room, very comfortable bed, the room is at the front overlooking the road, but you wouldn't know it.
Jana the assistant manager was excellent, in fact the the staff were very friendly and efficient with a smile.
Having stayed in the Grapevine a few years ago, this is better.

Room Tip: Go for Room 1, well worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Thank you for the review and your kind words about the staff. Room 1 is a well positoned superior room so it is fairly quiet however it just has a power shower cubicle rather than a bath with a shower over it so it may not be right for all guests as some people prefer a bath.

I do hope to see you again

Best wishes

South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2013

A very quaint, ‘Olde Worlde’ Hotel with a great history. Situated at the junction of two busy roads, but well insulated against traffic noise.
The building is spotlessly clean and the members of staff were all charming and friendly. One waiter in particular, who lived in the town, was very knowledgeable about the surrounding area, once he was assured that we were not part of Her Majesties Constabulary. My wife and I must have asked too many questions too early in our visit.
There is a most comfortable two part lounge and a very interesting bar/restaurant. Good supply of newspapers and magazines.
If you are contemplating this hotel, Be Warned! Do not go for the Late Rooms option as we did if you suffer from heart or lung problems, dodgy knees, vertigo, fear of birds or low flying aircraft. And take a good book or two.
The building becomes a ‘rabbit warren’ or a ‘badger set’ when you start looking for your room. One flight of rickety stairs leads you on to another of the same, then onto a corridor with an interesting lean to the right: reminiscent of fair ground entertainment. On you go carrying your suitcases. We began to realize that the outside of the building gave no hint of what was inside. The Hotel has been extended many times but the front has remained the same. After a short rest, we are pensioners after all, we retraced our steps and found another door, marked ‘Fire Door. Keep Closed at All Times’ with a small arrow sign indicating our room. Up another flight of stairs, much steeper and much more rickety than any we had been on so far to another landing that thankfully displayed our room. I told my wife I needed oxygen or a paramedic before I could unlock the door. ‘Would the kiss of life do? She asked. My wife always knows best.
We opened the door and collapsed on the bed to appraise our surroundings. You will have gathered by now, dear reader, that the Unicorn Hotel does not have a lift.
The room was small but adequate. Built in wardrobes, on suite facilities (with an array of toiletries), very comfortable bed. Everywhere was very clean indeed. As we were so high the view from the window across the rooftops of Stow on the Wold to the countryside beyond was breathtaking. Great for camera buffs like me.
The television was positioned so high in the wardrobe that we could not reach to switch it on. The screen was so small that had we been able to switch it on we would not have been able to see it: Hence the need for a good book.
Breakfast was adequate: Nothing special.
The Dinner menu was extremely limited. The only people eating in the restaurant were those people actually staying at the hotel.
The hotel has a dog friendly policy. This is the only restaurant my wife and I have ever been in where we have witnessed a dog fight in the middle of the restaurant floor: one young lady diner jumping onto her chair and an older lady trying to do the same: Valiant try. Top marks for effort.

Room Tip: Keep to rooms at the top of the first flight of stairs. Parking can be a problem.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter S
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Thank you for your rather humourous review but I do feel the need to answer your gripes particuarly as false comments on Tripadvisr from ill informed guests can damage the business.

The Hotel dates back to 1642 so there will obviously be stairs but they are certainly not "rickety".
Both sets of stairs are no more than 10 steps and similar to domestic stair cases. The building is grade 2 listed so a lift would not be possible and would be prohibitively expensive to apease a small percentage of guests who would like one.

I am glad you enjoyed the views from your room but you could also have enjoyed your televison if you had switched it on from the remote control or just dialed 0 for reception if you had any further problems.

You mentioned that the breakfast was adequate but not special - We offer a full English breakfast of smoked salmon and scambled eggs, juices, coffee, herbal and breakfast teas, toast, cereal, fresh fruit salad.
Dinner is not "limited" as there are 5 starters, 8 main courses and 5 desserts.

You stated that parking is a problem - We have a free car park opposite the Hotel and would have been more than happy to point it out to you.

I really cannot comment on your "dog fight" as I have not heard any other reports about the incident except that dog fighting is certainly not a sport in the Cotswolds !

Best regards

Chris Martin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to The Unicorn Hotel? Share your experiences!