“What a pity!!”

Fosse Manor Hotel
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“What a pity!!”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed in March for a wedding in the main house.
The wedding barn was very good. The staff were excellent. The food was excellent.
What a pity that the hotel did not match up to the same level.
We stayed in room 5. The cost was £155 for bed and breakfast.
The room was tatty. The radiator was not working when we checked in, but was fixed after we reported it.
The bathroom was like an ice box. There was a towel rail that was barely warm and certainly didn't heat the room.
The shower was over the bath and not very powerful.
The breakfast was good and the staff were very pleasant,but there were no warm plates to put the hot food on.
The hotel is in a beautiful setting but I still think it is vastly overpriced!!.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new block looked better.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Anne H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Okehampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I had read some of the reviews on trip advisor before going to Fosse Manor, but booked anyway as I liked the look of it and, as an ex-travel agent, I know that you sometimes have to take some of the reviews with a pinch of salt!
We did book a very good 'winter getaway deal' so I would say in advance that we weren't paying full price for one of the deluxe rooms which we ended up being upgraded to ... so I can totally understand why some people may find the standard room rate a little much.
I do have to say however, that although our room was indeed very slightly tatty around the edges and could probably do with a lick of paint all in all it was a beautiful room with a lovely lounge area and a really large bathroom with roll top bath. I'm not easily pleased when it comes to décor and the room was perfectly adequate and nice enough for a couple of nights.
In this way I would rate the rooms as good ... what makes it a 'very good' rating for me is the superb staff! Nothing was too much trouble from the moment we arrived! Everyone had a smile on their face and were very attentive. Room service on the night we ordered it was delivered promptly and was delicious and the night we ate in the restaurant was fantastic. The waiter was amazing and the food was exceptionally good ... especially the delicious pigeon I had for starter.
We had a fantastic couple of nights sleep ... very comfortable bed and no road noise that I heard.
The hotel is also in a fantastic position for popping into Stow-on-the-Wold which is lovely.
I would definitely recommend .. although I would advise the hotel to possibly look at re-wallpapering and giving the rooms a lick of paint to make them up to the standard that people expect from their full price room rate.

Room Tip: The blue and cream room at the top of the coach house is lovely!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NikkiKnots
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed just one night for a wedding. Having read the reviews I was nervous but our room in the Coach House was lovely - very clean. It was slightly tatty round the edges and for £175 a night that's what grates me slightly.

Was also disappointed with breakfast, again for that much a night I would expect waiter service, a menu and fresh cooking not a like warm buffet with fake egg.

The overall location is lovely and the room was nice. The wedding venue next door and the food there was amazing.

If it was less per night I would have rated 4.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Downham Market, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights this January. The rooms were cold (we had two) when we entered in the evening but the receptionist got us a fan heater. It was then very hot in the middle of the night. The decor was dated and paint chipped around door frames and skirting etc. My father in the other room was awakened at 6 am by the staff sorting the bins outside. Pillows were hard and flat on all beds. Cobwebs were visible in the upper corners of the room.

The only reason I am giving this experience 3 stars instead of 1 or 2 is because the food was incredible. Seriously, I had the best steak I have ever eaten and there was not one meal I did not enjoy thoroughly.

Room Tip: Rooms 4 and 5 have poor pillows and are very dated/cold. Shower in room 5 is an over the bath job wi...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fredmarsh_allen
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

I bought the stay to celebrate my partners and my anniversary.
Very good value for money; beautiful large room, great selection of cooked breakfasts and a 3 course meal included in the £135 price!
I intend on returning for several more stays.

• Stayed January 2014
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Beautiful in a stunning location. Slightly dated rooms but when you have such beautiful surroundings theres no need to be in the room for extended periods of time. All staff were attentive and very welcoming.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ashleigh s
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Visited hotel for wedding and was amazed at how poor this venue was. Heating in barn broken, food at wedding breakfast over cooked and spoiled, manner of staff very short and room filthy and in need of maintenance e.g shower no more than a trickle etc.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Fiona M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews

Been to Fosse Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!