“Very enjoyable and relaxing weekend stay”
Review of Fosse Manor Hotel

Fosse Manor Hotel
bristol
“Very enjoyable and relaxing weekend stay”
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I loved my room in the coach house, which was large with a very good big bathroom and all amenities required for a lovely 2 day stay. I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone for making my stay so pleasant, everyone is so helpful and hospitable and along with delicious food made my cycling weekend in the cotswolds even more enjoyable. My room was so lovely and to be able to sit out on the terrace when I got back was very peaceful and relaxing.
Please pass my compliments to the chef for the delicious food, from breakfast to my evening meal.

• Liked — Very comfortable and friendly staff, great food
  • Disliked — maybe more products required in batrhroom, but would have been be supplied if requested
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Reviewed 16 September 2008

Booked a night at Fosse Manor at 50% discount through staying for 2 nights at sister hotel in Malmesbury, The Old Bell. As a result thought we'd try the deluxe four poster room. Normally £225 and we would have been very disappointed had we paid that. For half price it was ok but the bathroom was dated, a bit noisy due to proximity to road and whilst spacious, no better than you;d expect for, say, £125. Staff helpful and friendly but not a cosy place - we didn't eat there but had late night drinks at the bar which we found a little stark, bright and there was not much in the way of atmosphere. Stow a nice spot though and guess you're expected to pay for the privilege, despite being a short drive outside the town. Not a patch on The Old Bell and wouldn't stay here again unless on a similar discount and would opt for a different room. Fair to middling!

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — prices (before discount)
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 9 September 2008

We stayed at Fosse Manor as part of a deal with it's sister hotel, the Old Bell hotel. Having had a fantastic experience at the Old Bell previously, we had high hopes for Fosse Manor.

We upgraded to a deluxe room given that the deal offered one night at half the normal rate. It was spacious and nicely decorated with a four poster bed but not what I would class as deluxe.I would have felt more than a little ripped off had we actually paid full rate!! The bathroom was very average with few toiletries, small mirror and shallow bath/shower combo. Old style TV with four channels, not satellite as advertised. The room faced a busy main road and had a broken window catch meaning we couldn't close the window properly. Breakfast was fantastic though and service swift and friendly.

The rest of the hotel I found a little underwhelming.You walk straight into the bar area when you enter the main door, not into a nice old entrance hall with reception as expected. The small bar is brightly lit (even at 11pm) with little atmosphere. After a drink in the bar we retired to our room at about 11.30pm. I couldn't sleep due to what I thought was a party going on in another room - heavy bass music coming through the walls. I wandered back down to the bar area to find the barman had pumped up the volume on the stereo while clearing up. Unfortunately our "deluxe" room was directly above the bar! I asked him to turn the music down and, with no word of apology,he told me he was almost done anyway for the night. Interestingly, when we brought our comment card down to reception when checking out, the receptionist cast it to one side amongst a pile of paper and laughed nervously about it not being necessary.

I would recommend staying at Fosse Manor but only if you get a good deal on the rate - half price room rate is more in keeping with what they should actually be charging, from my experience. Also, ask for a room at the back of the hotel if possible. If you can, stay at the Old Bell in Malmesbury instead - it's far superior!

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Noise coming from bar after close
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mariah22
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Ate here whilst staying at the Wyck Hill House Hotel (1.2 miles away - 8 GBP / 16 USD Taxi charge!!!)

The food at the Fosse was exceptional, We have had meals at the Bellagio in Vegas (Michael Minas restaurant), Waldorf Towers in New York and numerous Caribbean quality hotels and the Fosse easily matched / bettered them.

Many thanks to Lauren (Front of house) and Oliver (Chef) for two most enjoyable evenings. Extra special thanks for the lift back to the Wyck Hill due to the lack of taxi services in the area.

We will surely return and book our next stay here.

• Liked — Fantastic Food, Great Staff
  • Disliked — The fact we didn't choose to stay here
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Henley on Thames
Reviewed 18 August 2008

My husband and I stayed her for one night for our 10th wedding anniversary. We had booked a superior room but were upgraded to a deluxe room, which was absolutely fine for a 3 star hotel. Four poster bed, 2 chairs, sofa and lots of space. This was room 2. We also viewed room 1, which is the best room of all, even larger with a huge bathroom.

Hotel staff all caring and attentive, and the general decor very tasteful.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening and thought the food was the best thing about this place. Everything was well executed...they obviously have a very good chef.
Breakfast was also very nice.

I would reccomend this hotel for a short break in the cotswolds and represents good value for money against some of the other 5 star hotels with their heady prices of over £300 per night.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChloeHenleyonThames
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 August 2008

We decided on a weekend in the Cotswolds very late in the day and with little knowledge of the area or of local hotels.

What a lovely surprise Fosse Manor was in Stow on the Wold.

The building and grounds are beautiful (think ivy covered and landscaped gardens) and the welcome warm and genuine (lady called Maureen on reception is a superstar...).

The rooms are lovely and a mix of 'contemporary and country' in feel (we were lucky to have a four poster bed and a very spacious room). The rooms also have DVD players and there is a selection of games and films held by reception.

The restaurant is particularly good and pretty good value for such a nice place. Emphasis on quality of food, presentation and service.

Also located very near to the villages of Slaughter and Bourton on Water which is super.

Overall, I was left feeling that nothing was too much troble for the place - do stay - we shall be back.

BOVINGDON
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Wow what a great weekend. We are more than a little fussy about where we stay so we are always expecting to be disapointed, but not here. The Hotel is contemporary in style and sympathetic with its age and the fact it is privately owned .

LOCATION: It is on the busy A429 to Stow but in fairness it was noticeable for the first 15 minutes then we did not notice.

ROOM: It was a great size and quirky. The bed was king sized and comfortable. The bathroom included roll top bath and separate shower. Our room had a playstation, so it included a DVD. In reception they have a large selection of free films and games. The room is not air conditioned, so be quick to book a fan on arrival they are limited.

FOOD: If I said we were fussy about where we stay then where eating we are nearly impossible to please, but to say we were impressed was an understatement. We stayed with our 9 year old and the children's menu selection just added to the experience (Hurrah NO chicken nuggets or processed sensations). Two faults, the dessert we chose, although it was fantastic local cheese selection had Jacobs Crackers?? included it just seemed strange. The second comment was the music, we went on a Sunday so it was quiet but the music was too low so we had to whisper, outside after dinner it was also very quiet again some music outside would have been great.

SERVICE: On arrival there was nobody at check in so I went to speak to somebody, I obviously chose the unhelpful and disgruntled one who told me to wait??? and then in the end he reluctantly gave me the key and a frown. After that the service was fantastic could not be more helpful and genuinely nice.

Well done FOSSE MANOR and see you soon.

• Liked — FOOD
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2008
2 Thank SUTTON36
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,136 reviews

Been to Fosse Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!