“First Class”

Dining options: Reservations
Dunstable, United Kingdom
“First Class”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We ate here on a Saturday whilst staying at Number Four at Stow Hotel. Service was 1st Class and the food excellent.

Nice friendly welcome with a good atmosphere.

We both enjoyed the food very much.

Only observation, NOT a complaint was that the Restaurant was closed on the Sunday night over a Bank Holiday weekend when its advertised to be open. Thus we had to 'find' at late notice somewhere else to Dine on our 44th wedding Anniversary. Pity.

Perhaps they need an experienced 'Head Waiter'.

• Visited May 2014

Chester, United Kingdom
“Really disappointed,and didn't even get to visit”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I never would usually leave such a poor review of somewhere I've never visited, but on this occasion I feel I must, perhaps to forewarn others so they're not as disappointed as I am.

I submitted an enquiry many weeks ago via email enquiring whether the restaurant was open on a Sunday (of a bank holiday), as the website says. I received a very prompt reply confirming it was (the only positive of this experience).

Yesterday I received a missed call from this venue therefore rang straight back to see if there was an issue. The male member of staff I spoke to did not understand the reason for my call, barely spoke English but did manage to tell me he would get somebody to call me back. They didn't.... so I had to ring again, only to then be told the restaurant was actually closed the night we wanted to visit. Although she was apologetic and offered to "squeeze us in the night before" or to "call in for a glass of champagne" this has really inconvenienced us. We have one week's notice to hopefully find somewhere else special enough to celebrate our first wedding anniversary on what will probably be a busier than usual weekend in this area. Really really disappointed.

I was told the reservation was taken by a trainee - sounds like more training is required, starting with knowing when the restaurant is actually open.

Be warned.

2 Thank Sprowenhull
San Jose, CA
“A fine place to eat at Stow”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Cutlers Restaurant is in the B&B - Number Four at Stow. They serve very good dinners. My wife and I stayed at Number Four at Stow and decided to try their dinner for one night. Although the restaurant gets very busy and reservations were recommended, they were able to accommodate us at the last minute. They had a cozy small bar just adjacent where we had a drinks while waiting to be seated. Their menu very good menu selection. Their staff were very friendly and helpful.

Since we stayed at B&B, we had their Breakfast everyday and we were very pleased with the complete meal served which included selection of fruits, cerals, cheeses and the traditional English Breakfast. They also had juices and milk.

• Visited September 2013
Halstead, United Kingdom
“Very good, but not quite top-notch”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This is a very good restaurant and it feels a little churlish to award it only 4 stars, but having eaten at Wild Thyme the day before we had a direct comparison to a real 5 star establishment.

What was good - the lamb was tasty and perfectly cooked, the vegetables were also done nicely al dente, with a little something different (the cabbage had a hint of nutmeg I'm sure). Nothing was badly cooked, and the dishes were well-presented. Service was very attentive, and the setting is very smart.

What was less good - I saw somebody else mention the potatoes dauphinoise and have to agree: the cream appeared to be in hiding; along with the garlic, seasoning and herbs! For we dauphin lovers it's a severe disappointment. My wife's main dish, which married white fish with hefty slabs of pasta, simply didn't work; nothing wrong with the individual elements. The other thing missing is that little bit of magic; the atmosphere is a little sterile and the serving staff a little inexperienced - it needs a bit more personality.

In short, it's a very competent restaurant, where everything is done according to the book, it just lacks a little spark to make it something special.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Peter C
Brackley, United Kingdom
“80th Birthday Celebration”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was our second visit to this wonderful restaurant for an 80th birthday lunch.
4 generations of our family were treated for the second time to the very best of food and service. We were welcomed and received with the friendliest and much appreciated attention.
As a party of 14 with ages ranging from 2 to 82 the evident preparation was fantastic.
Nothing was too much trouble.
Now to the serious bit. The food for a Sunday Lunch was very special. All freshly prepared without a hint of it being cooked beforehand and kept on hold until ordered. This attention to detail differentiates Cutlers Restaurant from the also rans.
The fish dish was truly perfect, Lemon Sole Fillet stuffed with a fish mousse and spinach, with lightly grilled scallops on a tagliatelie base in a creamy sauce with very finely chopped lettuce and tomato. The best pasta supported dish I have eaten in the last 35 years!
A truly memorable experience and I would like to extend our thanks to Brian and all at Cutlers who made this so.
Well done, except for the roast beef which was perfectly pink in the middle. Oh! and the Pinot Grigio was rather good.
David