“A Cotswolds Winner”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Number Four at Stow-on-the-Wold is a comfortable boutique hotel that is well-located for a stay in the Cotswolds, but its main claim to fame is its Cutlers restaurant, named for its head chef. Among the highlights of two dinners during our stay there were a succulent sea trout and monk fish wrapped in prosciutto. It is worth going there just for the breakfasts.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a major detour due to road works and the main road into Stow was virtually at a standstill and so to find a parking place would have been impossible so we abandoned any hope of visiting Stow. He decided to head for the Slaughters and just out of the town we stopped in a layby to check the map. Opposite the layby was lovely new hotel, Number Four and so we decided to have a drink and a sandwich.
We were greeted by the charming owner who suggested we try the Cutlers Restaurant. We enjoyed the most excellent lunch, beautiful cooked and presented in a lovely new restaurant and served by efficient and cheerful staff.
We then had a tour of the other public areas and a couple of the bedrooms. We will certainly put Number 4 on our list of places to stay when next in the Cotswolds.

3  Thank Johnathon S
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We arranged to have dinner here at very short notice, as a result of non-availability at the nearby hotel where we were actually staying. We could not have been made more welcome both on arrival and indeed throughout the meal - some personal touches that make all the difference, without being intrusive. And the food was excellent. Even fine ingredients require careful attention to achieve top class results - the cooking here is very accomplished, with, in our case, both the duck and the excellent local lamb perfectly judged. The wine list is modest in length, but with some very sound content - the particular Fleurie we had was from what is acknowledged to be one of the best vineyards. On the basis that you get what you pay for, this establishment offers good value for money.

2  Thank David7KR
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We ate here on a Saturday whilst staying at Number Four at Stow Hotel. Service was 1st Class and the food excellent.

Nice friendly welcome with a good atmosphere.

We both enjoyed the food very much.

Only observation, NOT a complaint was that the Restaurant was closed on the Sunday night over a Bank Holiday weekend when its advertised to be open. Thus we had to 'find' at late notice somewhere else to Dine on our 44th wedding Anniversary. Pity.

Perhaps they need an experienced 'Head Waiter'.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I never would usually leave such a poor review of somewhere I've never visited, but on this occasion I feel I must, perhaps to forewarn others so they're not as disappointed as I am.

I submitted an enquiry many weeks ago via email enquiring whether the restaurant was open on a Sunday (of a bank holiday), as the website says. I received a very prompt reply confirming it was (the only positive of this experience).

Yesterday I received a missed call from this venue therefore rang straight back to see if there was an issue. The male member of staff I spoke to did not understand the reason for my call, barely spoke English but did manage to tell me he would get somebody to call me back. They didn't.... so I had to ring again, only to then be told the restaurant was actually closed the night we wanted to visit. Although she was apologetic and offered to "squeeze us in the night before" or to "call in for a glass of champagne" this has really inconvenienced us. We have one week's notice to hopefully find somewhere else special enough to celebrate our first wedding anniversary on what will probably be a busier than usual weekend in this area. Really really disappointed.

I was told the reservation was taken by a trainee - sounds like more training is required, starting with knowing when the restaurant is actually open.

Be warned.