“A traditional family-owned hotel”
Review of Stow Lodge Hotel

and 1 more site!
Stow Lodge Hotel
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
“A traditional family-owned hotel”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

A couple of nights here took me back to the 1950s when I used to stay in such hotels as a child with my parents. It is individual, not part of a chain and takes care to provide for the fairly old clientèle who frequent it. The position is next to the Fosse Way, a very busy road but the hotel is screened by the detached block in which some rooms (including ours) was situated, as we had booked late. It is only the bathrooms that face the road. The gardens of the hotel are simply lovely and very well kept. The décor is "olde worlde" with patterned carpets, prints of English watercolours and beams (some of which are real). The staff were all pleasant and helpful. The rooms are well kept and clean, but the plastic flowers should have been thrown away many years ago - who likes or uses these awful things now?. Breakfasts are served in a very good dining room and are varied and sustaining - nothing is too much trouble. We only ate dinner there one night but the lemon sole was excellent and memorable. This is not a cheap hotel but it is a good business that deserves to succeed as it really cares about what it does. We would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the separate detached block as there is road noise. Rooms in the hotel mainly overlook...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deereleap

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Beautiful old building with traditional decor. Super-clean rooms and good home cooking. The staff are friendly and accomodating, nothing is too much trouble. Ideal place to visit for a relaxing break but don't expect any night life-everywhere shuts down after 10pm. Ideal base for exploring The Cotswolds.The nearby church is small but exquisite.

Room Tip: We stayed in the extension but the road was a bit loud so a room in the hotel itself would have been...
Sassafras, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We are here from Melbourne Australia staying 9 nights and absolutely love it. The hotel is beautifully kept and our room so comfortable - the owners and staff obviously take great pride in the Lodge and the garden is a picture. We leave in 2 days time and will be sorry to depart but hopefully will be back when we are next in the UK. Stow is a wonderful location, Stow Lodge a great place to stay and there is a terrific British Pub almost next door - the perfect end to our 2 months break.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5 overlooking the front garden
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

we dropped in for an afternoon cream tea - nice garden and not very busy. Went t find waiting staff and was told in reception that there was nobody else available and they were 'too busy'! Unbelievable!

2 Thank dansvotremaison_com
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

I had never been to the Cotswolds, and this hotel (which I would classify more as a B&B) was exactly what I wanted. My room was very comfortable with a great view of the front garden and the town square beyond. The place is old but well-kept, with the right balance of uneven floors and low thresholds with good water pressure and Internet access to please a traveler looking for a quaint Cotswolds experience while retaining certain luxuries. I enjoyed easy access to the town's shops while leaving my car unused in the hotel's parking lot conveniently tucked out of sight behind the property. I was glad for the town's convenient location for exploring the area. I found myself visiting the neighboring church and cemetery daily during my stay, it was so beautiful! The lilacs were blooming in the hotel's garden and I had the impression there would be something beautiful to see during any season. The staff was very quirky, but I liked everyone I met. I have to agree with a prior reviewer that the staff, however, was completely not helpful when it came to recommending alternative places to eat in the community... this to me is a poor policy, and is the only thing about my stay that leaves me unhappy with my experience there. The hotel's restaurant was very good, but I preferred eating in the hotel's bar and the bar menu to that of the restaurant. Breakfast was very nice, and the choices were varied. During the colder months, I imagine the fireplace in the lounge must be quite nice. Definitely consider staying here!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

With my name being Stow this Hotel has been our meeting point for all the family for years at least 25+ years so its doing well.Last meet up with my brother in May 2013 (good lunch he paid cheers).Very nice to see the hotel has kept its history the food was just right .Great for parking and center of my town STOW ON THE WORLD

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Surrey
Reviewed 28 May 2013

For £150 for a double room for one night I expected more. Having stayed in many hotels and B&B's I think this was very expensive for what you got. The room was perfectly adequate but was at the top of the house with a very small window which meant you had to have the light on even though it was sunshine outside.

The hotel is slightly old fashioned with sheets and blankets on the bed rather than duvets, they seem to cater more for the mature guest, we are in our mid forties and were the youngest there by some way.

However the grounds and location are lovely and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Lords of the Manor Hotel
Lords of the Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in The Slaughters

Been to Stow Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!