All reviewsresidents loungechurch bellsthis family run hotelcoach housecomfortable leathertown squarereal firelog firefour posterno liftan excellent hotellovely groundsthe main squareolde worldeold world charmtwo nightsthe main hotel
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I visited Stow during the week of the Gypsy Fair, staying in a nearby B&B. The owner recommended the Stow Lodge Hotel for dinner, as they accept non-residents, and some of the other village restaurants are closed during this period.

The food was wonderful, very old-English style. As a 57 year old woman traveling alone, it can sometimes be uncomfortable having dinner alone, but the staff made me feel very welcome. The first night I chose a table near the window overlooking the church steeple, where I watched the swifts flying around until dusk.

The next night I returned and the staff were holding my same table for me. That night, there were two things on the menu that I really wanted, so I asked the staff about it. My waitress asked the chef, who said he'd get salmon in for me the next day as well, which I was able to enjoy the next night, even though it wasn't on the menu.

Terrific food, good portions, very pleasant and friendly staff. What more can you ask for? I may have been the youngest person there by a good 10 years, so if you're looking for trendy, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Nank4
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Very nice hotel in a fantastic location. if I had to find fault it would be that the shower in my room (10) was not fit for purpose, the pressure... well there wasn't any to speak of. Very good value for money. Good food, good wine and I would return.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cliff_7
Reviewed 23 June 2009

My family with two teenage children loved the hotel and the cute little village. We stayed in the Carriage House in the back within 3 charming rooms. The staff accomodated our family by providing an additional 3rd room at no charge (1 queen room, w/ wife; 1 double bedroom for daughther; 1 single bedroom for son). Very tasty food in the pub and a nice ale from Hook Norton. The full breakfast was very nice and the staff was always aiming to please. Easily accessible to the other small villages within the Cotswold's. Hat's off to the gardener... beautifully manicured gardens on the grounds. We particularly enjoyed relaxing with a good book in the recreation/book room. Definitely recommend as a romantic getaway in the english countryside

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed 2 March 2009

It''s so nice to stay in a hotel where the staff are very friendly, service is great and they all look like they enjoy working there.
It's in a great location in the town centre with excellent parking.
Rooms are very clean and spacious, but have a cosy feel.
Lovely open fire with nice comfy sofas.
we also found it great value for money

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amelia640xford
Reviewed 3 June 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Stow Lodge Hotel for a week in late May 2008. Situated by the village square and the churchyard, the hotel used to be a building occupied by nuns. It is pleasantly "Old World" and was well run. Our bedroom was clean and fresh, looking out over the churchyard. The chiming of the clock wasn't a problem. Food was excellent; too much, if anything. Certainly, the puddings are not recommended for those with a weight problem. The staff were very helpful and friendly and they made our stay very comfortable. The large residents' lounge, which had a fire in it most evenings, enabled the guests to have long chin-wags until late into the evening. The garden, which is tended by one of the owners, is large and well maintained, excellent for sitting in the sun drinking tea or something stronger. The garden opens out onto the village square. Stow on the Wold is a most pleasant centre, with lots of antique shops. Car parking is in a secure walled car park.

The hotel is a very good centre for exploring the Cotswolds, with all the normal tourist locations being within easy reach. Particularly recommended are the mechanical music museum at Northleach and the church at Fairford. That church has the unly surviving set of late medieval glass in the country and it is well worth a visit. The tourist shops in the villages surrounding Stow sell the sort of tat which comes by the container load from China, but they can be ignored. There are lots of antique shops at Morton in the Marsh, at Chipping Campden and at Broadway. There is a decent antiques centre outside Chipping Norton. Hidcote gardens are good. Sudeley castle was disappointing, with none of the main castle being open to visitors on the day we went there. There are excellent National Trust properties in the area, partcularly Upton House.

In summary, we recommend the hotel as a base for a comfortable stay while exploring the Cotswolds. We will return to it.

Stayed: May 2008