“A Warm Welcome, Great Food and Service”
Review of Stow Lodge Hotel

and 1 more site!
Stow Lodge Hotel
Reviewed 31 October 2009

We have stayed at the Stow Lodge 28 times in our trips to the UK since 1980. Our first stay we were hosted by the grandparents of the current owners, in subsequent years, the parents, and for the past number of years the present generation of managers.

For us it is like coming home. With a family base in South Wales, our trips to the Cotswolds have always been a pleasure, and get away, as part of an overall trip. We have stayed in time shares, rented cottages and other hotels in different villages. But we always try to at least have a meal at Stow Lodge, just to greet the friendly staff headed by Chris, and have a great meal prepared by Steve.

We have shared this treat with many friends over the years...at least 7 other couples. We have sent to this little gem during their visits and they too have enjoyed the quiet, well managed, good service of this great little hotel.

I travel a great deal, on business, in my life in the US. I stay at large hotels and really enjoy this comfortable and friendly family run hotel as a break from the large hotel scene.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SMartinIndiana

Reviewed 4 October 2009

I visited this hotel for a weekend getaway from London with my boyfriend and was attracted to this hotel due to the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. Whilst this hotel met our expectations in terms of location, cleanliness and the exterior appearance, we were pretty dismayed by the interior and the quality of the food in the restaurant. I hate to write a poor review however as a regular visitor to Tripadvisor, I feel that other potential visitors, as well as the hotel, deserve honest feedback.

The most disappointing aspect was the food - great if you like Iceland (for prawns and cheesecake) and BBQ food (the bread served at the beginning of the meal was ripped out of a 6-pack of baps) and the creme caramel was more like a blancmange (no crispy top to break with your spoon!)...but we paid £25 for 3 courses! The breakfast was much the same: plastic sausages, burnt tomatoes and baked beans that had grown a skin - all for £15!

The interior of the hotel which was clean and functional, had clearly not been updated for a few decades - the flatscreen Samsung TV looked totally out of place amongst the rest of the chintz.

We did have a nice stay, as we tried to be as positive as possible about our trip away and laughed about it all - especially the delayed service due to the 'large table' (of 6 diners) behind us. In the end we left, feeling somewhat ripped off - especially when we've stayed in other hotels/B&Bs in the Cotswolds for less - and been spoiled with gorgeous interior surroundings and delicious homecooked food. In light of this, I honestly cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank katiehouse
Reviewed 18 September 2009

We didn’t stay in the hotel but ate in the restaurant once and in the bar three times in early September whilst on holiday in Stow. The clientele is not so young and this 72 year old and his wife did little to redress the balance!

On one midweek evening both the restaurant and the bar were fully booked. The owners clearly understand their customers and cater very well for their needs. On the menu were old time favourites such as prawn cocktail, whitebait, duck a l’orange and haddock mornay. The food was excellent and the service amongst the best we have experienced. The staff were charming, attentive and very professional.

However, don’t expect cappuccinos or espressos or lattes. Coffee comes only in a cafétière.

We hope to be back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WestbankSouthDevon
Reviewed 18 September 2009

When my husband and I got married in October 2008 we did not get chance for a honeymoon. We decided to spoil ourselves and have a weekend in the Cotswolds. Best thing we ever did. The hotel, service, staff, food, VFM were amazing. On checking in the staff were very helpful and polite. We had booked Room 8 which has a four poster bed. The room was amazing and SO comfortable. It over looks the church & cemetary but have to say even that was beautiful.

On our first night we went to the Old Butchers Restaurant for a meal. Both of us had steak which was cooked to perfection and the chips were not like any chips I have ever tasted in my life. Delicious. Worth a visit.

Breakfast at the hotel was a lovely experience. Tastefully decorated dining room with gentle music in the background, very light and airy. Staff were very polite and service was excellent. The breakfast was delicious, tasty and very filling!

We spent the day walking around the beautiful little village of Stow On The Wold and travelling around the local area which is outstanding. That evening we stayed at the hotel for a bar meal. Again the bar, service and staff were fantastic. We had the soup to start which was very tasty, hot and fresh. Our steaks again were cooked to perfection and all the food was cooked fresh. Lovely atmosphere.

My husband and I were very sad to leave as the hotel and staff made our 'honeymoon' weekend so very special.

I would highly recommend this hotel. So much in fact that we intend to go there EVERY year from now on for our anniversary.

I hope this has been of some use to you. You will not regret your visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DVDonovan
Reviewed 18 August 2009

We did not stay at the Stow Lodge but ate in the bar on Sunday evening. It was very relaxed and calm and the staff were extremely friendly, even reserving my dad the last piece of Bakewell Tart for pudding (with extra custard!). The food was freshly cooked, and very tasty. Excellent value for money.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank MCornell
Reviewed 12 July 2009

I visited Stow during the week of the Gypsy Fair, staying in a nearby B&B. The owner recommended the Stow Lodge Hotel for dinner, as they accept non-residents, and some of the other village restaurants are closed during this period.

The food was wonderful, very old-English style. As a 57 year old woman traveling alone, it can sometimes be uncomfortable having dinner alone, but the staff made me feel very welcome. The first night I chose a table near the window overlooking the church steeple, where I watched the swifts flying around until dusk.

The next night I returned and the staff were holding my same table for me. That night, there were two things on the menu that I really wanted, so I asked the staff about it. My waitress asked the chef, who said he'd get salmon in for me the next day as well, which I was able to enjoy the next night, even though it wasn't on the menu.

Terrific food, good portions, very pleasant and friendly staff. What more can you ask for? I may have been the youngest person there by a good 10 years, so if you're looking for trendy, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Nank4
Reviewed 10 July 2009

Very nice hotel in a fantastic location. if I had to find fault it would be that the shower in my room (10) was not fit for purpose, the pressure... well there wasn't any to speak of. Very good value for money. Good food, good wine and I would return.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cliff_7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
White Hart Royal Hotel
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh

Been to Stow Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!