“The perfect meal”

The Porch House
Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
“The perfect meal”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Five of us celebrated a family occasion over dinner here last Saturday whilst staying in Stow. We were given a large round table which made conversation easy, and the waiter was happy to take a photo of us all! Just perfect food, my steak was one of the best I've had, a proper medium rare but so tender. Their cotswold lamb and old spot pork chop were also apparently excellent, as were the mackeral starters. The menu is not huge, maybe 5 choices for each course, but that illustrates freshly cooked dishes and the quality here was there to be tasted. There was plenty of chilled prosecco, and a nice reasonably priced house red. Service was efficient and not rushed, and the ambience was perfect. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andy-S60

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights here. We requested a quiet room and were given room 2, a superior room towards the side/back of the property. Road noise was not a problem at all. The room was charming but would not be suitable for a longer stay due to lack of anywhere to put clothes - a few hooks on the wall for hangers and that's it! No drawers at all.The sink is in the bedroom and the toilet and shower in a small ensuite off the main room. No bath. The bed was extremely comfortable and we appreciated the kettle and nespresso machine and quality toiletries. The free wifi worked very well. The tea/toast delivered to the room in the morning was lovely. Breakfasts were very tasty, but could definitely be a little slow so make sure to factor in enough time. The staff were all friendly and helpful. A few small improvements would make a huge difference..... the fire door leading to rooms 2-5 bangs extremely loudly when it shuts... marmalade would be great as well as all the jams and other spreads for breakfast, and room 2 could do with some net curtains or venetian blinds or other way to give some privacy without having to have the main blinds down. It could definitely do with any kind of blind in the bathroom!! Otherwise a very nice stay and we look forward to coming back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Booked this hotel for one night as we were visiting Blenheim Palace. What an amazing place - possibly the oldest Inn in England. So well preserved, and furnished to emphasise its age and beauty. I adore old buildings, and this was stunning. The room was decorated simply and elegantly, although nowhere to put any folded clothes, and only 2 0r 3 coat hangers in the quaint little wardrobe/cupboard.
The room was very warm, and the pillows looked huge, but didn't necessarily make for a comfortable sleep. Staff were busy multitasking, and the breakfast order got a little muddled, but once sorted, was lovely.
Would recommend to anyone wanting a quirky, beautiful olde English place to rest their heads

Room Tip: room 1 is a suite, with beautiful roll top bath but no shower room 7 is an en suite, lovely shower...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dardilly, France
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The hotel is in a beautiful old building right of the main square in Stow. It has been beautifully restored keeping all of the old architectural elements that makes this place so special. I would definately stay here again. I would try to get a room that is not on the road which can be loud with cars and pedestrians talking loudly at night.

Room Tip: I was in the odorable small single room #4. It is a tiny, snug room just above the enternace to the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Thea C
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I booked a superior super king room for a weekend visit, the booking process was disorganised nd required several emails to clarify the booking. On arrival the check in was chaotic and slow, ending up in me just finding my room on my own.

ON arriing to the room, I was shocked by the 'impact' nature, and the bed was a standard double. When raising this with a taff I was told it is a super king, a few minutes later after me pointing out the bed size she apologised it was a normal double bed. They reduced my room rate to a double rate, but I would never had booked a double room, and in which had a very poor nights sleep. I felt initially they were trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

The room was boiling, with the windows open there are lorries driving past the busy road all night. I arranged refreshments to come to the room which were late in arriving so we couldn't enjoy them. The shower head was awful, just like standing under a hose.(this needs replacing)

I went down to breakfast about halfway through breakfast service. (just ordered 1 cooked breakfast) and 1 hour later it arrived, the bacon was cheap and inedible, and the eggs were rock hard. so not at all enjoyable. To add salt to the wounds they also ran out of juice??? really? another table complained after waiting 1 hr for a sausage sandwich which could be cooked 5 minutes.

Considering the room rate, we had a poor stay, and I would not recommend this. The only redeeming feature was the character of the rooms, but if you have a poor nights sleep, service breakfast, this cannot redeem the Porch House.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank jeffa101
NW England
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at The Porch House on our way back home from a holiday in Cornwall and to have supper with a friend who lives locally.

We were given one of the dog-friendly bedrooms (Room 10, overlooking the external seating area at the rear of the property) and cannot fault the friendliness of the staff. The young woman who checked us in was very helpful indeed.

The room was, however, very small indeed. There isn't much room around the bed (maybe 10 inches between the bed and the wall) and access to the shower (which was excellent) for a "large" person would be very difficult as one would have to stand in the bedroom to be able to open the cubicle door. The washbasin in the en-suite was as small as one would be in a downstairs loo. Not suitable for shaving.

Very comfortable bed.

The food was good, but quite expensive for the portion size.

Breakfast was slow - it took them 45 minutes to serve our cooked breakfast, so it might be advisable not to go to breakfast until 08:30, rather than 08:00, as they clearly weren't ready to serve.

The tea and toast that was offered (and accepted) to be served to the bedroom before breakfast, never materialised.

So, all in all a decent place to stay, but with some things that could be improved.

Oh, and tea pots don't need electronic timers...

Room Tip: Room 10 is small. It overlooks the patio, but this wasn't a problem when we were there.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LeicaUser
Oakham
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I had a meal at The Porch House on Saturday 28th June whilst on a 2 night break in The Cotswolds. I am not greedy by any stretch of imagination but the portion sizes leave a lot to be desired. I was supposed to have beetroot in my starter, well I could just about see the microscopic cubes that were on my plate along with the half a cherry tomato. As for my main course it would have been a more substantial starter than what I did have. Three potatoes no more than 1cm in diameter was taking the piss somewhat. As for the samphire, which I love - more than a few strands would have been good. £16.50 for my main course was expensive and the whole meal was very over rated. A very disappointing evening to say the least - never to return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Newengland02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Stow Lodge Hotel
Stow Lodge Hotel
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Porch House? Share your experiences!