“Reunion Lunch”

Ranked #6 of 33 Stroud B&B and Inns
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Reunion Lunch”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Recently enjoyed a buffet at the Old Lodge for a group of ex employees of a local Stroud company. The food was of excellent quality and plenty for our 60 participants. The room we dined in which is the formal restaurant was very well laid out for our party. Hopefully will be returning again in the futurre

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Approaching this place, with the cows, horses and dogs wandering around I had wondered what my boyfriend had brought me to! However, once inside, its perfect. The food was delicious and served quickly, the staff were welcoming and friendly and the restaurant had a relaxed atmosphere. Would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bexxypink
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My boyfriend and I were on our way back home from a long weekend away, and didnt want it to end, so we were looking for a nice place to eat late afternoon, a lot of places had stopped serving lunch, so after looking on the internet we came across the old lodge.
I must admit driving upto this place is just so pretty, the cows on the common just come straight upto the car and really have to fear at all, We pulled up to see this gorgeous place which is so pretty there is a small seating area outside which is just lovely if you get the weather, and there were horses just walking around near the car park it really did make our afternoon seeing this as city folk it's nice to see.
We had called and booked a table on the drive down but when we arrived there didnt seem any need, We were greeted by a friendly barmaid and said a table has been reserved but we can sit anywere we liked, we walked right around and settlled for a small table in the resturant area. There were a few couples and a family who looked like there were just finishing off as it was quite late in the afternoon, we didnt mind this at all.
The barmaid was friendly and chatted to us for a few mins and let us sample a few ales to help us which to go for, and our menus were given, we didnt have to wait to long for our order to be taken, but the food did take longer to arrive than what i thought it would as it was so quiet but our starter was worth the wait of baked camembert and garnish of salad to share, we could of done with a bit more bread but i think that was just us being greedy!...
We did wait a while again for our main which we had both gone for the homemade burgers which we were asked how we would like them cooked which was a nice touch. The waitress was lovely and very friendly and asked us how our food was and kept our drinks topped up and even give us a bit of history on the place which was a nice touch and ended our lovely long weekend on a high.
Our experience here was a really lovely one, We would defo try this place agin possible on an evening?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stephanie m
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

I came to eat for a nice lunch with my boyfriend after trying to find somewhere who were still serving past 2:30. After driving around the whole of stroud we remembered that the old lodge was in a really lovely location and seemed like a perfect place to eat because we had been up there to have a few drinks when the weather was somewhat warmer and it was gorgeous. When we arrived we walked up to the bar and asked if we had lunch to a young man who said yes and stared blankly at us, I then proceeded to ask awkwardly for a menu (as he was just stood there with a blank expression) and he just handed them to us and walked away. We then had no idea where to sit as the staff weren't being particularly helpful and we again awkwardly sat down at a random table not knowing if it was part of the restaurant or not. Having chosen what we wanted we waited for ages for a waitress to take our order, there were about 5 young staff behind the bar chatting so I just got up and ordered at the bar. Our food then came however my boyfriend had ordered the breaded and fried brie as a main and it came at a starter portion after I explained to the young man twice that I wanted it as a main. He still ate it and it was absolutely lovely, my duck was cooked to perfection however the sauce was a little burnt and bitter to my liking and I usually will eat anything but left the noodles. We sat around again for a while for service and eventually after a long while a girl came and cleared our plates. We had a lovely dessert which was a gorgeous gateau ( again ordered at the bar after staff seemingly blanked me and walked straight past my table, which this time was deserted for a good 10 minutes while I stood and waited for someone to take my order). After the appalling service I just wanted to pay and leave. As a waitress myself I expected more from the staff and disappointed by their standards, especially as the resteraunt was far from busy and the bar seemed over staffed.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cookie m
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

The room was very clean and well kitted out - tea making station, basic bathroom, desk and mirror, TV etc and staff were friendly.

We are a family of vegetarians, and they were more than happy to cater for us. The breakfast was delicious and done to a high quality.

Location was good - close to Stroud and beautiful countryside across the common. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it to somebody else.

Room Tip: The room at the end of the corridor is above the pub and gets a bit noisy when you're trying to...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Mabel-the-Westie
Denia, Spain
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We went with friends last Tuesday and although the main resturant only had two tables occuppied we were asked if we had booked! Our response was "No, but it shouldn't be a problem seating us should it" looking around the empty room.
The food was nice however we assume we paid the premium for dining in the main resturant as opposed to sitting in the bar as I considered the food to be over priced for what we had, beer battered fish and chips, two 10oz burgers (a lot of shrinkage) and a cheese souffle, all costing around £14.00 each. As I said, nice but not outstanding and the resturant it self lacked warmth and character.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank Tallbear55
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This is a beautiful old building, and our room (No 1) had been recently done up, including the bathroom. The bare Cotswold stone chimney wall was an attractive feature, though beware tripping up on the slightly raised hearth, my husband kept on stubbing his toe! The bed was very comfortable, and staff friendly. Not a five rating because the shower was very low pressure, and the pump extremely loud in the bedroom. The dining room has stunning views over the surrounding golf course. We had starters and puddings as quite full, the gooseberry sauce was missing from my pudding, having mysteriously mutated into custard! - the helpful waiter offered to go back to the kitchen, and came back saying he didn't think he was going to win that argument with the Eastern European chef, however he did eventually find some!

Breakfast was good, we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We had the largest room, (no 1) with great views over the front of the hotel, I believe some of them...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roz F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroud
The Bear of Rodborough Hotel
#1 of 1 in Minchinhampton
Travelodge Stonehouse
Travelodge Stonehouse
#2 of 2 in Stonehouse

Been to The Old Lodge? Share your experiences!