The Old Lodge
Burleigh Court Hotel(Minchinhampton)
US$275
US$246
Travelodge Stonehouse(Stonehouse)(Great Value!)
Premier Inn Stroud Hotel(Stroud)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
All reviewsthe pubporkperiod furniturefood clubsunday lunchtimebite to eatsuperior rooman excellent mealpuddingfour poster bedstunning viewsbar areawedding plannerlovely foodwonderful weddingcooked to perfectionan overnight stay
Reviewed 27 May 2013

For a family celebration in Nailsworth, three of our family groups stayed at the Old Lodge. The bedrooms were very satisfactory, the beds comfortable, with a high standard of cleanliness. The breakfast was excellent, with good of local food. Our lunches and evening meals, were of a high standard, just good gastro pub food.
There is a lovely garden with outside tables, and good space for children to play. When we arrived on a rainy May day a welcoming fire was ablaze

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful

Just one negative, the children's camp beds were very creaky , keeping adults awake.! Take your own roll ups

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank She9753
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We organised a surprise 60th birthday party here with guests of all ages and food preferences. The hot food buffet was really tasty especially the quiche, the staff were really hospitable and accommodating to all of us, plus the lodge itself is a cosy gem of a place in the middle of the endless common. There are lots of country pubs around here and I think after our day this has to be my favorite.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed for two nights over the May-day bank holiday weekend, having booked back in January, being convenient for the Badminton Horse Trials. I must have mis-read the booking site blurb back then as we were slightly surprised that the Old Lodge turned out not to be a full-up hotel but a pub/restaurant with rooms - but that was my problem and all we wanted was a decent bed for the nights and good food. We got both!

The room was best described as cosy (but perfectly adequate) and the bed very comfortable. The wifi availability came and went with the breeze but that appears to be standard in much of Gloucestershire and is hardly the fault of the premises (it seems better downstairs). All in all a pleasant B&B room, reasonably priced and perfectly acceptable for two nights. It doesn't try to pretend to be anything else and is thus quite charming.

The food however moved the stay to a higher plane. We ate in the restaurant or bar on both evenings and were treated to meals of an excellent standard, attractively presented. Wonderful. The service was efficient and the staff friendly (without being in any was obsequious) and helpful. Considering the restaurant was full on both nights nobody appeared harassed in any way and there were no delays in getting our food. Some good beers on tap too.

Breakfasts were a simliar treat - even a full English was attractively presented and not overwhelming in quantity. Five stars for the food, three for the accommodation, hence the four given.

The location is splendid and I would certainly stay again. Next year, for Badminton weekend!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My husband and I had lunch here on a late Sunday afternoon. They serve food all day and the view from the restaurant is lovely. The bar is cosy and welcoming.
I ordered a steak and my husband had roast pork. Both were locally sourced. The portions were very generous, and the food beautifully presented. Both meals were delightful. The best part of the meal was the gravy on the pork. It was nothing like I usually expect on a Sunday Roast as this was exceptionally flavourful. The stock for the gravy must have been prepared with great care. It was so rich and delicious.
Service was very good and the atmosphere very welcoming and relaxed. It was worthy of being listed in the Alistair Sawday. We will return there for Sunday lunch next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We had a 2 night stay in this B&B but I was disappointed with The Old Lodge. We tried to book our stay online but for some technical reason it didn't work so we phoned up to make the booking. The man on the phone said that he had booked us in no problem and we just had to pay on arrival - fair enough we thought. Then we phoned to confirm our booking a week before, but the lady on the phone said we were not booked in but that she was sorry, and because of the trouble she had upgraded us to a 'superior' room. This wasn't really necessary, but hey, it sounded good.

On arrival we checked in and the gentleman on the desk didn't know anything about us being upgraded and had to get his supervisor over. We explained the whole thing with two of them looking at us with suspicion - not very nice considering we were guests and we were being completely honest and didn't even ask for an upgrade before they promised it to us. There was a bit of discussion behind the bar and then one of them led us up to the supposed 'superior' room. Well I didn't see anything superior about it apart from the size of the room. I suspect we were given an ordinary double room.

The room was ok, it was clean and the bed was comfortable enough. The bathroom was clean, but not clean enough by my standards as there was some mould on the window and the bottom of the bath was discoloured.

As for breakfast, we had the full English breakfast, but the sausage tasted horrible as it had garlic in it. We got one sausage, one slice of bacon, one egg and a portion of beans. Mushrooms and black pudding were also available. We also got 1 slice of toast each and tea or coffee as well as a choice of muesli, cornflakes and fruit and orange juice. I have been in quite a few B&Bs and compared to other places I've stayed this was not up to standard. In other places I could ask for as many slices of bacon, sausages or eggs as I wanted and as much toast as I could eat. I am not greedy, but having the choice of having as much or as little to eat as you want is a deal-breaker for me. On the second morning we asked for fried egg on toast and we got just one tiny piece of toast and an egg thrown on top with no butter on the toast. It was a very meagre breakfast.

We booked to have a meal in the evening but we were given the smallest table imaginable! Totally unsuitable. As it happened I felt ill on that evening and I had to go back to our room before we even ordered our meal. My partner went back downstairs to pay for the drinks we had been given but the barmaid told us they were on the house because I was poorly. However, when we checked out the man at the desk said there was a charge of £2.90 on our tab for the drinks and we had to pay before leaving! I couldn't be bothered to argue as we had already been made to feel like liars on arrival.

The service was not the best I have experienced, it wasn't personal at all and no-one bothered to exchange pleasantries with us. No-one asked if there was anything else we needed/wanted. The staff were polite, that's all I can say really. I won't be staying here again, instead I will look for a small family-run B&B instead.

Room Tip: Find a different B&B
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family