“Quaint, family home”

Ranked #29 of 33 Stroud B&B and Inns
Derbyshire, UK
“Quaint, family home”
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Mrs Denny and Biscuit (the dog!) greeted my wife and I like family. And this is what it's like - staying with your friendly relatives who know all about the area adn want you to have a good time. The owner is well-known in Stroud and knows all the ins and outs of the arty town.

A nice garden, a very interesting old house, some sort of merchant's, I think. Lovely street with a nice old-fashioned pub just up the road.

Value is fine, bread is great - done in the Aga.

Not posh, but a rough and tumble home form home (especially if you like cycling!).

Only comment - the bed linen and towels could be updated (but then I said it was like a family stay!).

I liked the windy staircase and the privacy of the bedroom.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank cfmw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Maryport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Caroline Denny welcomed me like an old friend to her wonderful 17th century famlly home with its amazing spiral staircases, ancient oak beams, warm paintwork and comfy beds. She couldn't have been more helpful, finding me a safe parking place, sorting out wifi and so on.

Sadly I could only stay one night, as I had to go home, but I liked it so much I'd like to go back sometime.

I can't understand the complaints of some other reviewers. If they want a glossy shiny place with straight walls, painted in shades of beige, with identical rooms laid out on a corridor, they should use a Travelodge or something. This is a B&B for guests who like something a little different; something colourful; unique; historical; quirky. If you're happy to get to know the hostess over breakfast, and make friends with her lovely dog, this is the place for you. I felt really lucky to have found Viner House - I could so easily have ended up in some boring place, just the same as every other guesthouse up and down the country.

10 out of 10 and thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank allybeag
Shropshire, UK
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The place is jumbly, but you're part of a family home and whose isn't a bit jumbly? The hostess was very welcoming and helpful with local knowledge, and making our way up the spiral stairs in what's a very old house was intriguing - the room we had on the top floor had an ancient old and characterful beam across the ceiling. The room was clean, it was chilly as we had had a sudden cold snap and the heating wasn't on, bed comfortable and plenty of space in the room. Lovely breakfast in the family kitchen, dog around but was kept away from guests - and not what I consider to be a "health hazard" as referred to in other reviews, even though I'm not a dog lover.

Room Tip: The top room up the spiral staircase is the one to choose - it has a double bed and an extra single...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James B
Diss
Reviewed 5 April 2012

If you want an anodyne experience this will not be your sort of place. It is a remarkable old house with very difficult spiral stairs. My husband is 82 and had no trouble with them at all, neither did our small grandchildren. The owner insisted on carrying our suitcases up and down for us. It is indeed a family home with the usual family jumble, which in no way makes it dirty, just quite relaxed and friendly. As for dogs in the kitchen, don't you allow your own dogs in there?
The home made bread, muesli and marmalade were all delicious, as was the cooked breakfast when we had it. We stayed for three nights and will be returning. I only know about the one room (with en suite) which we were in and that was clean and comfortable.

Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GDFDiss
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We TOTALLY agree with the two previous reviewers. We had already driven 21/2 hours from Cornwall but chose to drive another 3 hours home and cut short our holiday rather than stay here with our three children (and we had already paid in advance). The owner has self assessed herself as a three star but this is IN NO WAY AT ALL a three star property. The whole place was VERY untidy and dirty and poorly mmaintained, including the kitchen. The dog had free access to the kitchen. The bathrooms were not clean and there were workman's tools in the shower basin. She had not even troubled herself to put a new bar of soap in the bathroom but left a mushy used one there. Our children's room was down two flights of stairs, through the hall, through the kitchen and up two more flights of stairs - no one wants to be such a distance from their children.
We asked for our money back but the owner refused and inappropriately informed us she had business problems. I really am not surprised, anyone looking without paying will not stay here. I have alerted Environmental Health as I do not believe this property in any way reaches the required legal standards of food hygiene and cleanliness.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank Cath744
stroudcaro, Owner at Viner House, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
This review is totally unjustified and untrue. The guest booked 2 rooms for a Saturday night. On arrival they complained the rooms were not next to each other and demand a refund. I refused as they had not enquired if that was the case. If that it what they want a Travel Lodge would seem more appropriate. So they'd left in a huff and wrote the review.

Travellers are raving about these Stroud hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We completely agree with the other reviewer on here. The host was very nice (well appeared to be) however everything else about our stay was awful and absolutely not as advertised. By the way the place is also unsuitable for children or those with trouble walking due to spiral stairs and being such an old unkept building. Very, very disappointed. Even more so as we offered to pay in advance rather than just the requested deposit of one night...and could not get a penny out of the host when we felt we had to leave early. Dire in every way....we are really well travelled and have stayed in all sorts of places before. If we could leave a zero rating on here we would.

Room Tip: Vile Do Not Go Here
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank anonymous12330
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2011

This B and B does not meet the trading standards and health and hygiene is non existent. One night at this guest house was an incredibly horrible experience. This claims to be a guest house and despite being welcomed with tea and talk of home made bread, the standards were extremely poor and one gets the feeling that the owner just wants your cash for nothing in return. Indeed, the room was in fact her teenage sons bedroom. This had not been prepared for a guest in any way. As if he had just popped out (or was even just upstairs) I was given a filthy, smelly room with all the accessories one would expect from a lived in teenage boys bedroom, (including half a bottle of drink under the dusty desk). It was a highly uncomfortable, depressing experience and I do not wish this upon anybody. His duvet was so thin and synthetic, it was no better than a duvet you would expect to find in the cheapest of hostels. There was no lock on the door, which rattled all night, as it did not shut properly. I shared a bathroom with the rest of the family, which also did not have a lock fitted. The shower was crawling with mould, the toilet did not flush properly (and no one bothered to do so much) and the carpet was soaking. My one small towel had been washed but was clearly ancient and had been dug out from the back of the airing cupboard. It had stains and that smell which cannot be disguised, which only old towels have.

The 3 dogs hung out in the kitchen, which was absolutely filthy. Breakfast was ok, although there was a lack of care and thought in the presentation and no offer of more toast or tea. Basically there was no proper service. I did not feel like a guest, I just felt humiliated and furious that I had payed £35 in advance for what was a highly uncomfortable, unacceptable guest house, just a chaotic, dirty family home. This is not a proper B and B, this is someone wanting to make a fast 'buck'. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GUEST HOUSE TO ANYONE.

Room Tip: Do not stay here at all.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
8 Thank hanpankelly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroud
The Imperial Hotel
The Bear of Rodborough Hotel
The Close - Bed & Breakfast
The Close - Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 5 in Minchinhampton

Been to Viner House? Share your experiences!