“Gorgeous old pub”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous old pub”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Nice typical English pub that nowadays is hard to find. Small cosy place but a great escape from everyday life

1 Thank Visitcardiffnow

Harwell, United Kingdom
“Lovely for Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Book early to assure a table, particularly if you want to eat before 14:00. Our party of 4 had booked but the table was occupied so we did wait for a few minutes - not a problem other than there is very little sitting room and we ended up dodging staff and clientèle entering or exiting the pub. We all had a roast and there was plenty of it. The beef was cooked perfectly as was the vegetables but the Yorkshire pudding was a bit on the crisp and hard side. Couldn't manage a dessert - which is always a good sign of a decent sized main meal. Parking can be a bit fraught and you might end up on the side of a very narrow road outside someone's house. Definitely a place you would not come across by accident.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Glyn W
London, United Kingdom
“Food was terrible. This place has gone downhill.”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I've visited here a few times over the years as my parents live a short walk away. Even though the first time I visited I was impressed, each time I have visited since then has been worse than the last.
The staff may be polite and friendly, but they aren't very helpful. At one point during the night, I was stood at the bar for 5-10 minutes and no-one was around to serve me, this isn't really acceptable on a Saturday night during high season. After becoming impatient, I even opened the kitchen door and asked 'Hello?' but there was no-one there. When we were ordering, my partner asked one of the staff for a recommendation off the menu but they appeared to know nothing about the food that was on offer. We weren't brought any cutlery with our meal, and after we had finished our mains it took them 25 minutes to clear the table. even though there were only 2 other groups of people in the establishment.
The pub needs a thorough clean. There were cobwebs, dust and spiders everywhere. The 'pub garden' is located around the back of the building and has a view of the car park and not much else. It was overgrown and rather neglected, and the picnic benches need replacing. Again, considering it's high season, you would think that they would tidy the place up a bit.
The food was the worst part about the experience. It was edible, but considering the price tag it was an absolute rip-off. There were four of us, and all of our meals came with cheap, nasty frozen chips that looked like they had been re-heated a dozen times throughout the day, and they tasted like fish batter. My partner commented that his cod and chips was 'no better than you would receive in a branch of Wetherspoons.' My brother's steak was rather small and he was disappointed with the quality and the lack of trimmings - for the £14 price tag it was a bit of a joke. My £12 burger was overcooked, tough and flavourless, and the bun was stale. It hardly lived up to the 'Butcher's Best' name that they've given it. In my local in London, for the exact same money, I can get a juicy, perfectly cooked, hand-pressed beef burger with home-cut chips and fresh salad.
The desserts weren't much better. The 'brownie' was light and fluffy like a sponge cake, not gooey, thick and sticky like you would expect a brownie to be. I would have liked a scoop of ice cream or some cream with it. Strangely, the cheesecake did come with ice cream, which seemed unnecessary. The cheesecake also admittedly looked impressive, but it was bland tasting and underwhelming.
Overall, each of us felt incredibly ripped off. I won't be returning here to eat again. Altogether the experience was a huge disappointment.

• Visited July 2014
7 Thank MissScarlett90
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Great pub food & beer in a great location with good service”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Mark & Sharon run a great place here. Ideal for all occasions - all year around. Perfect for a stop-off after or during a walk around the lovely Stroud valleys. Good food with a wide range of choices plus a specials board. Perfect for a sunny evening sitting outside or a cosy winter snug buy the fire. Local food from the Sheepscombe farms always available. Local guest beers as well. Highly recommended. PS: Yes this is my local - aren't we lucky!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Rory A
Asheville, NC
“friendly pub”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Recommended by our B&B hosts the Butchers Arms is a lovely pub serving better than average pub food. Wide range of local beers and availability of mixed drinks and wine. The pate appetizer was one of the best I've tasted and the steak was cooked just as I requested. Save room for the desserts, fresh ice cream and home made puddings. If you are in the Painswick area of the Cotswolds I can recommend the Butchers Arms

Visited June 2014