My wife and I recently spent a most enjoyable three hours having lunch at The Bear of Rodborough hotel with a group of 60 members of the local branch of the National Trust. If you want a very English Sunday lunch in comfortable surroundings served by young efficient staff and tucking in to typical British fare of roast beef, roast lamb or salmon with all the trimmings, followed by a delicious sweet and then a gentle stroll to admire some locals strutting around the croquet lawn (don't ask how the game operates - it's a mystery which even Poirot would find difficult to solve !!), then this is the place for you. The wine list is fine and you can even buy Bin Ends at the bar. And if you feel so inclined you can stay the night in a Four Poster bed (£125).
And the Bear ? Well there are TWO of them to greet you as you enter. One enormous one (though we were told it was not fully grown !) standing on hind legs begging to be photographed, and close by a much smaller one holding a tray of apples with a notice telling you its history - over 100 years old too !
And all around is Rodborough Common complete with grazing cattle, strange mounds of yesteryear and in places glorious views of Stroud, the Cotswolds and distant Wales.
What are you waiting for ? Give them a ring now and book your table !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within 300 acres of National Trust land with views over the Cotswolds; The Bear of Rodborough has 46 classic country bedrooms, a lively bar, restaurant and plenty of places to sit back and relax. The hotel is dog-friendly and ideally situated for visiting the beautiful towns of Gloucestershire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Bear of Rodborough Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bear Of Rodborough Stroud
- Hotel Bear Of Rodborough
- The Bear Of Rodborough Hotel Stroud, Gloucestershire