“Deserves more than 3*” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Stroud
Northlew, United Kingdom
“Deserves more than 3*”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

A lovely hotel. Really relaxed and calm. The room was exquisite with an unexpected four poster bed (room 12). Sitting outside in the garden watching people playing croquet was so civilised! The food was beautiful too and the service perfect.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank Alison S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Since I moved to the Cotswolds, The Bear is one of my local pubs/restaurants. I used to go there regularly for a drink or a morning coffee but - apart from the setting and the lovely décor - I am always slightly disappointed. The Bear does not invest enough in training its staff. It's as though the management has waylaid some smiling passers-by, thrust an apron at them and told them to get on with it. They do their best, but . . . Here are three examples:

One summer evening, my companion and I went for a drink at the bar where a chalkboard notice drew our attention to non-alcoholic cocktails. We ordered one, plus a beer. The bar person served the beer immediately and promised to bring the cocktail out to our table on the terrace. When it had not arrived after 15 minutes, I went back to the bar to find the young woman had forgotten. Flashing me a pleasant smile, she then explained that she didn't know how to make the drink. She disappeared, finally returning with a slightly harassed-looking man who did make the cocktail. By the time I sat down, my companion had finished his beer. The cocktail - a mojito - was mainly ice-cubes and served in such a narrow glass - more like an Ikea vase - that I could barely stir it. I will not be ordering one again. There is a lesson here for the Bear management. If you are going to offer a particular drink, take the trouble to ensure that all your bar staff know how to make it. Otherwise, what is the point?

Let's move on to morning coffee. At the very least, a hotel should be able to make perfect coffee every time. The Bear cannot. Sometimes, it's weak, sometimes the cup is not full, sometimes the Americano turns out to be cappuccino. On a recent occasion, we ordered two lattes, one skinny. When they arrived, the waiter told us that they were both skinny as he had only skimmed milk to hand. Skimmed milk only? This is a hotel. When asked, he kindly brought some cream to compensate but it was really too late. The latte was flavourless nd the cream made it cold.

Unfortunately, it's not just the serving staff. On another occasion, we were enjoying a quiet drink in one of the lounges when a manager bustled in to discuss a complaint raised by a couple who had stayed the weekend. They all sat down quite close to us and we could hear every word. The pork chops at dinner had been undercooked, their bathroom wasn't clean and their shower was not hot enough. What on earth was that manager thinking? Perhaps he'd failed to understand the training session where they told him to deal with complaints in private. Perhaps he was just stupid. That particular incident was a while ago now and maybe things have changed. I really do hope so.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MargretUnitedKingdom
Estepona, Spain
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,639 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Lovely situation up on the hills above Stroud. There is excellent parking on the main road, sharing the entrance to their wine sellers. If you come up to the Bear on the RH side, drive past it for parking, don't be tempted down the little road just before it which looks as though it might curve round into a carpark. It doesn't - it curves round and becomes a one-way track!

The building is attractive, with some outdoor seating. An average-ish sort of place for lunch. A number of interconnecting rooms surrounding a bar. Slightly annoyed by the notice on the bar by us, telling us to go round the corner as there was no service from this end. The waitress was standing there, doing nothing, two feet away from me, I had to walk round to ask for our food.

The food was fine: Caesar salad and fish pie. I thought that £12 was a bit steep for the pie, but there you go: it's a chain.

What did annoy me more was the pudding. The menu said: "Summer pudding, clotted cream, ice cream". Note that: summer pudding comma clotted cream comma ice cream.

So what would you expect? Three things, right?

Well no, not right in the Bear, as we were told that we were given "clotted cream ice cream" and that's why there were only two items.

The disappointment rather spoiled the lunch, but on the positive side just think of the calories saved!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Enfield, Middlesex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Had a wonderful stay here for my cousin's wedding this last weekend. Our room in the Annexe was perfect, exceptionally clean, welcoming and would certainly get top marks by "The Hotel Inspector", and the bed extremely comfortable, even the complimentary instant coffee in the room was good, which is very rare. The hotel itself is very picturesque with lots of little hidden areas to sit and socialize, although a warning for those with bad legs, there are quite a few steps here and there so be prepared for that. The scenery is beautiful, certainly a lovely area to visit. I thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want quiet at night, the annexe is probably the best choice as it is separate from the main h...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank UnPCEnfield
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night in june.

The hotel and surroundings are absolutely gourgeous.

Our room was beautiful and we had a great view of the common and the roaming cows.

The service was fantastic, and we even recieved a complementry upgrade. The food was also really nice.

The only downside is the rooms can be a little noisy, but there was a large wedding party in during our stay, so it may have just been because it was so busy.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Keeley C
Newark, Notts, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary celebrations on a DBB + afternoon tea package and it was absolutely delightful.

Lovely hotel, beautifully and sympathetically extended to create a quirky layout, which also meant that there were lots of places for guests to congregate without being on top of each other.

The food was absolutely excellent with a special mention for the breakfasts - do try the porridge and the Eggs Benedict...they are superb!

The rooms are modern and well appointed and we had far reaching views across the common and valley beyond.

A great venue for family celebrations - high recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
2 Thank Leafytri
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our 8th visit to the 'Bear' since it was recommended by a friend a few years ago.
In a fabulous location where there are plenty of walks, common land where the likes of cows and horses are free to roam between May and October (we think), PLUS a few pubs within walking distance too.
Our latest visit included a complimentary upgrade (Many Thanks for that) with a very spacious room in the main building (we prefer staying in there too).
Staff as usual very friendly and accommodating.
We stayed on a B & B basis (2 nights for 1 which is very good value) and breakfast was 'Superb'. One can see why its won awards for its breakfasts. I recommend a 'full English'.
I did'nt try the beers this time (shared a bottle of wine instead), which leads me to my one and only gripe.
We had bar meals on our first night. Mine was fine but the so called 'quiche' with salad and new potatoes was extremely poor due to the portion of the quiche.
Paying £12 for this certainly griped me but my wife never likes fuss and I had to stay quiet.
She did mention this to the waiter once finished with a view that he informed the chef.
I reckon as the waiter looked fairly new, the comments were not passed on.
SO...to the chef on the night, I say 'Don't short change your customers as it doe's not pay'.
The hotel missed out on us having a meal and drinks there on our 2nd night as we decided to look elsewhere due to this experience, so chef...'You cost your hotel'!!.
The above being said, we will continue to use the Bear because for us, it remains a 'Little Gem' and I would recommend this place to anyone...For me, its one of the BEST Cotswolds Inn's.
Last but not least, ensure you visit Tetbury and Cirencester if you stay here. Very nice towns.

Room Tip: We always prefer the Main Building as opposed to the annexe
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroud
Stonehouse Court
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,208 reviews
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Malmesbury

Been to The Bear of Rodborough Hotel? Share your experiences!