“Not bad..... Honestly, not bad!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Stroud
Bedworth, United Kingdom
“Not bad..... Honestly, not bad!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

Clean rooms, underfloor heating in the large bathroom and plenty of space.
Yes, the pine furniture is not antique, but it's clean and looks fine.

I admit that the lack of breakfast menu was a bit scary, but as a group we just went for it and ordered exactly what we wanted ( 2 poached eggs on brown toast, no butter, with baked beans on the side please) and we got it. The lady on Saturday morning didn't even write down six orders that were strange, got them all right and served them with a smile.

The coffee on the first morning was in pots, but on the second did come from a large thermos. This was ok, but we did notice a difference.

Apart from that, the fact you ate in the bar was ok, it was really cold but the room was warm. The bar has "ambience" but there was always a seat when we needed one, the staff were friendly.

Only real complaint, I asked for an extra pillow which was promised and never arrived. But on the other hand friends asked for another quilt and were given one, so it could be I wasn't forceful enough, or didn't ask twice.

Make sure you tell them your car reg if you park in their car park, a friend didn't and came out to find a note gaffer taped to his front and back windows telling him he was on private property. No fee, but a hell of a lot of peeling and scraping, as the tale wouldn't come off and was right in his eye line on the windscreen.

Close to town and the station, we overlooked the train station which wasn't noisy, I imagine courtyard views to be less picturesque!

All in all, not bad..... Clean room, plentiful hot food and friendly faces.

Room Tip: Ask for station view, you can see the car park and the station, Stipulate twin or double when you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sue N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed here on business and got a great online rate. Had a very spacious room on the first floor which was clean and simply furnished. Breakfast was plentiful and of a decent quality. I travelled by train so the hotel was ideally located right out side the station. As others have said, this is a budget hotel - for what you pay, it's great value

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Maltonian1
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Check In
Arrived at the hotel a little early at 12.30. No one was at reception but then a polite young man appeared from nowhere to check me in. I had booked a single room inc. breakfast but was told to take a seat as he needed to check the room was ready as I was a little early. A few minutes later he was back to advise me that he had upgraded me to a double and he escorted me personally to my room, which is a rarity these days.

The Room
I had stayed at this hotel previously about 12 years ago and I was aware that I wasn't checking into Claridges so I was keeping my expectations realistic. I was pleasantly surprised at the room I was given. It was large, airy and spotless. Bed was very soft, which I like, and the bedding was crisp and clean. The bathroom was also very fresh and looked as though had had a makeover recently. I did have some minor grumbles. There were only two beside lamps and so in the evening the room was quite dim, especially where the dressing table was. I tried to move one of the lamps over to that corner but could not plug it in as the prongs on the plug were rounded so could only be used next to the bed. The toliet cistern was constantly trickling water but with bathroom door closed not really a problem. Central heating a little noisy through the night, but it is an older hotel. I did have a problem with locking the door when I first went out. I called reception and a young lady was up in a minute to show me how.

Public Areas
The bar at the hotel is called the Coach Yard Bar and they have nicely stacked, very long bar. The are a few plush olde-world leather sofas in one corner near the main entrance door. However, most of the downstairs area is taken up by the Thai Orchid Restaurant which the owners of the hotel also run and there is no clear distinction between the two areas and seem to blend into one. There also seems to be a large function room where they were serving a Buffett dinner the night I was there. I didn't eat the the Thai restaurant but it seemed to be very popular as there were lots of customers. There are no lifts in this hotel and quite a few stairs so if you have mobility issues I would make sure you ask for room on first floor when checking in.

Breakfast
Breakfast on a Sunday was from 8-10am. There is a continental buffet with the usual suspects. Tea, coffee, cereals, juices, jams and pastries that you help yourself to. A waiter came and asked if I wanted a full English to which I said yes. I was not asked what items I would like or how the eggs should be cooked. Not a problem as I am not fussy. I got an egg (over easy), rasher of bacon, beans, grilled tomato, hash brown, mushrooms & two small sausages. Whilst not the best full English was very tasty and hot.

Summary
For the price I paid the hotel was excellent value. Friendly and helpful staff. Nice clean and comfortable room. When you get the basics right you can forgive the little niggles.

Sent from my iPad=

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank patch64
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

We (Stroud Hockey Club 2ndX1) attended on Saturday evening of 8th December. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff made us feel important and couldn't do enough for us, the meal was superb and everyone enjoyed the atmosphere and presentation of the restaurant. For the 15 of us that attended the cost was superb. This restaurant is a breath of fresh air for Stroud and highly recommended. Thankyou all Craig Breddy (on behalf of Stroud 2nd X1)

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank CraigBreddy
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

This is very good value for money. For budget hotel prices you will get a hotel that is way above budget hotel standards. You will get a homely room with a lovely bathroom and a nice breakfast thrown in, and a good night's sleep. The rooms and bathrooms are immaculately clean and tidy, Dinner is a little bit more expensive in the Thai restaurant which is within the hotel building, but there are plenty of other places nearby, and I would nevertheless recommend treating yourself after saving on the room prices - the menu is wonderful and the food is delicious. The staff here are so warm and friendly that they will make you feel immediately very welcome in Stroud.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank lozxo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed here for two nights whilst visiting Stroud. On arrival we were greeted by very polite staff and shown to our room. Pleasantly surprised after reading some of these reviews. Large room and spacious en-suite, both of which were very clean.
On the friday we dined in the in house Thai restaurant which was superb. Both food and staff. Breakfast was good with a selection of fruit and yoghurt along with a full english..the tea and coffee would be better not pre made though.
It would of been nice to have an all day light snack menu available as there was no food available and we had to nip out but good choice of local eateries!
This hotel is very central and therefore if you are looking for a quiet country location then you will need to stay elsewhere. Would we stay again.. Yes most definitley.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Ktk7
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We booked into the Imperial as we had a wedding nearby so just wanted a place to stay on Saturday night. We checked in on Saturday afternoon to quickly change before heading for the wedding. We were greeted by a nice lady, asked to pay up front and directed to our room.

As soon as we entered, we noticed the buzz of the extractor fan. Really really loud and no way of turning it off. We went back down to reception and thankfully, were given another room. The lady said "I thought that had been fixed". Maybe someone should have checked. The second room was quieter but not great. The toilet role holder was hanging off the wall, the toilet would only flush after repeated atempts, the furniture was the most basic cheap pine and there was still a noise coming from an aircon outside the room. The view was also shocking; it is a city centre hotel so I don't expect much but they could at least clear away the pile of rubbish.

When we returned from the wedding, we were struck with just how hot the room was. No heating was on so it was a bit of a mystery. We would have opened the window but the noise from the nightclub/pub was loud enough anyway.

Breakfast was also not great. The usual selection of things but the ready made tea was like dishwater and being asked "what breakfast would you like" without any menu or any options was very odd.

All this would have been annoying for a £70 or even £60 room but for £130, it was terrible. Maybe for the price, I should have asked for champagne and smoked salmon for breakfast.

Room Tip: If you can get a room for £50, it might be worth it for a night.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Stroud hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroud
Premier Inn Stroud Hotel
Egypt Mill Hotel & Restaurant
Royal George Hotel
Royal George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Birdlip

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!