“One of the best pub menus I've ever seen...and I've seen a few!”
Review of The Woolpack

The Woolpack
Ranked #25 of 151 Restaurants in Stroud
Price range: US$13 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2015

I was a little anxious about going to this pub having seen the recent reviews but thankfully stuck to the plan and booked the piano room table, by the window - as suggested by an earlier review. We walked from Painswick to meet friends at the pub, and arrived at noon. What a fabulous little pub!! Such atmosphere, lots of Laurie Lee memorabilia and a warm welcome. Being a Saturday we wallowed in the weekend papers until friends arrived and we settled down to order lunch. Fantastic menu with interesting dishes! I had spelt and wild garlic arancini, grilled fennel and spinach sauce - delicious. Mike had mussels in a lovely cider, parsley and cream sauce, Hodge had sardines with herbs, Lyn had wood pigeon breast, beetroot, blood orange and walnut. All delicious! Beer was excellent apparently, I had to have some cider, Lyn had to have some rose...well we had to - paying homage to Laurie Lee! Lovely views of the Slad Valley...I could go on!! I did say that I would be reporting all this on Trip Advisor and the pub owner said that the negative reviews occurred when she was sick and there was a particularly busy weekend. It was busy today, the weather was sparkling, the staff coped with the numbers and it was perfect!!

1  Thank JRD32

Reviewed 15 April 2015 via mobile

Lovely setting and old traditional pub. Menu looked fab and some really intersting dishes. Took the kids and friends and all sat outside to eat. Lovely food, just need more choice for vegetarians

2  Thank Annaa2000
Reviewed 1 April 2015

.... weeks in advance, specifying specifically which table you want. it all goes in the diary correctly. then you turn up on the day, slightly early and find another party (of 8, not 3 as we'd booked) sat at your carefully reserved table. staff behind the bar flatly deny that that table was ever booked for you, and you're actually sat at the opposite end of the pub on a table you most definitely didn't want to sit on. going round in circles goes nowhere, smug people who didn't book our table stay put, my other half so disappointed and irritated that he threatens leaving and then we're shunted off into the far room where noone else is sat for at least an hour= zero atmosphere. great.
ordering starters and mains at the bar and then having the mains delivered first. sending these back as we're still waiting for the starter to come out- it does, closely followed by the guy who took the order saying 'well, i thought you wanted the starter with the main' um, no? it's a souffle- i want that as a starter not with my roast beef. greeted by 'but your main courses are going to get cold'. really? kind of not our problem? which is greeted by a bit of a kevin 'that's so unfair' harumpph before he walks off. awesome.
souffle good by the way, but then to add icing to the cake in walks a lady with two friends. overheard by my party talking to another member of barstaff ' oh i phoned a few days ago and asked to book the table by the window but was told it was already reserved for a party of 3 at 12.45- can you let me know when they finish?' so yes, the lady confirms what we'd already suspected- we had definitely reserved the table, at the right time for three people, the staff knew about it and they had outright lied to us. this is where i nearly walk out. all i can say is it's a good job the food was good else we would have done. i did see quite a few people sending theirs back as under cooked, so guess we were lucky at least on that front! :o/
can't believe, having left a 5 star review previously, that i'm now at the 1 star mark. you just don't treat customers like this- not cool! we're locals and up to this point we'd been regulars too. kind of in the balance now as to whether we return.
really, really disappointed and annoyed and right now, don't feel able to recommend this place to anyone.

8  Thank vexed77
hannah t, Owner at The Woolpack, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2015

Dear Vexed 77,

I'm not sure where to begin in my response as this is clearly the worst review we have ever had.
I am so sorry that you felt you were let down in so many ways that day and I ask that I am allowed to try to explain.

I remember this day so clearly as it was the Sunday that I myself was due to be in charge, however I was quite unwell and was unable to be present. It is with regret that I wasn't there to guide the staff and I'm sure as a regular to the pub you realised that there was not the usual full time staff on that day; the lady that had helped to serve you had in fact never worked here before and had only kindly came in to help me in my absence; the other boy who didn't separate the starters and main courses of your order was in training.

On a busy Sunday three staff is not enough and this is entirely my fault.

I can also explain the relocation of your booking as you mentioned you had requested the favourite table in the corner of the pub. We always try our best to arrange the table plan to accommodate the requested tables, however on that day it ended up being impossible to guarantee. In order not to confuse the staff I created a fresh table plan and so, you see, they were genuinely unaware of the previous request, and really they were not lying to you as you thought. I'm so very sorry you felt that way and had I been there I would have explained the situation myself and also say that I had tried to give you another table with views of the valley.

All in all, in my absence that day I accept full responsibility and in doing so I hope that you may accept an invitation to come back to the pub for a complimentary meal, and so that I may apologise in person.

Yours Sincerely,

Hannah Thomson
Landlady
The Woolpack

Reviewed 29 March 2015

Worst meal I can recall in many years, where do I start !! I would be ashamed to serve that tasteless, unappetising meal to anyone! The gammon was hard and piled with black specks on it ! The fried egg tasted like rubber and as for the chips, need I say more! The meal was sent back twice ! The pudding of lemon tart was also tasteless whoever made it needs to go on s pastry course!! All the young waitress could say was I should have been given a steak knife to cut the gammon, says it all really !!

5  Thank Helen N
Reviewed 22 March 2015

what has happened to this lovely pub?
Having booked a week in advance the table was double booked the food very slow then undercooked and had to be returned.
All so disappointing we won't be returning

2  Thank 568lily28