“What a surprise!”
Review of The Ale House

The Ale House
Ranked #49 of 149 Restaurants in Stroud
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We wanted somewhere that served proper food and allowed dogs...and the ale house was perfect! The chicken puttanesca was stunning and rarely found on pub menus. The huge horse/dog was docile and not bothered by our vocal Yorkie one bit. I have read bad food reviews and it is like they are talking about somewhere else. Sausage and mash was also delicious! Also the relaxed atmosphere is not easily found.

2  Thank DanAelaPeck

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is such a great place to have coffee, meet friends, drink from a great selection of real ales. But the bar snacks menu promises way more than it delivers. Welsh Rarebit was like sludge on toast and the fish finger butty was just that,but worse. Cold, fish fingers, blatantly a well known brand, on chunky bread. The bread was ok though. The hot dishes looked ok, and Sunday lunches looked good, so we will try again. I do think that the landlord should play down his menu descriptions and play up the food.
Hazel P.

1  Thank Hazel P
Reviewed 30 December 2013

tho didn't eat, what a great place. V-nice lay out and seating. Visited over xmas 2013 so enjoyed the open fire. CAMRA members will love this gem.

2  Thank jason e
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I visited The Ale House for lunch on Sunday 22nd December, after a recommendation from someone. We felt the drinks were reasonably priced, and for my Partner who's a real ale fanatic, there was an excellent selection. We had the 3-Course Sunday lunch (again a really good price of £9.50). The first course was a truly delicious Roasted Red Pepper Soup with fresh crusty bread and butter. It was stupendous. Next was Road Lamb, and whilst there was plenty of lovely flavoursome meat, the vegetables were almost raw - in fact, I was almost unable to cut my broccoli. Conversely, the carrots appeared to be rather overcooked. The whole plate was literally swimming with a thin gravy - it was difficult to cut things without splashing the gravy everywhere! The Bread & Butter Pudding was just that. No custard, cream, ice cream or anything. The pudding itself was nice, with marmalade in it to give it an extra dimension, but mine was very burnt. Without a custard or anything it was quite dry, which was a shame because it had a lovely flavour. At no time were we asked if everything was alright, and had we been, we would have given some truly constructional criticism. We decided that we would probably not return.

2  Thank Ann B
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I am a real ale fan and know the Ale House is second to none in the Stroud area for cask ale and I have been drinking there since it opened a year ago.

A steady investment by the landlord Nigel is seeing the place become more and more of a destination for a wider audience than just ale drinkers. The recent installation of period cast iron radiators to warm what is a very large space up on the cold winters night makes the place really welcoming.

I had a half day off to spend some time with the wife while the kids were at school, and we chose to do lunch at the Ale house.

I enjoyed a couple of halfs of real ale from the choice or 7 on offer. Both were good on temperature presentation and taste. If you like draft ciders there are always a couple of them regularly changing. You won't find any Carling or John Smiths but there is Cotwsold Lager. My wife went for a rose wine.

I close Perky Chilli with rice for my meal and the wife went for Tomato soup and chunky bread.

The Chilli was a large portion in a bowl clearly hand made on the premises presented well with garnish. Notable was the fact that Mince was not used rather chunks of very tender beef. Good value I think at £7.50. Piping hot from the kitchen I had to wait for it to cool a little to eat.

My wife's tomato soup was came in a good size full bowl and was not a usual runny affair, again clearly home made and full of body. The doorsteps of bread were a good inch or so thick providing more than a snack for her. Priced at just shy of £4 again good value.

We both enjoyed the meal and will be returning when we next get a chance.

If you have not tried the place give it a go.

2  Thank Bigwheels-Glos