“great atmosphere” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 32 Restaurants in Tetbury
Price range: US$14 - US$35
Cuisines: Pizza, Bar, British, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
manchester
“great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

stayed in tetbury at the close hotel,but the ormand as a fantastic atmosphere in the bar and lots of good beers to choose ,anytime i visit tetbury i will drink here .

“Just don't..”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

This pub breathes disappointment compared to the rest of the bars in Tetbury. The kebab van has a better selection of drinks, came here for Christmas dinner and was undercooked and rudely treated by the manager Ian especially towards my over 80 grandparents. Good atmosphere, only reason people come here and value is average. Since coming back has not improved and male manager inappropriately mentioned to a table who had forked out a lot of money for a party he could do without their party staying and buying drinks. However saying this the rest of the staff try extremely hard and are professional and this comes across well a real shame after spending lots of money here I will never be coming back.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Frazh123
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Our room (“Standard”) was clean but basic – no wardrobe, no chair, and the TV didn’t work (we reported this twice).

On our first evening, it took nearly two hours for us to complete our three-course dinner (our starters were finally served 55 minutes after we sat down, at the booked time). My starter (char-grilled chicken breast) was not as described and lacking in key ingredients. I was very disappointed by the parsimonious portion sizes of the vegetables accompanying my main course (duck breast) – barely one tablespoonful of spinach, and about a tablespoonful of dauphinoise potatoes. For my cheeseboard, I requested hard cheeses, but was still given a piece of Brie.

Breakfast the next morning was better, although no fruit was on offer (unless you include that in the muesli – but that was so sparse that it may well have been shot in through the keyhole). A choice of orange or cranberry juice, cereals, and a selection of cooked breakfasts were on offer.

At dinner, I was once again disappointed by the lack of vegetables; careful scrutiny of the menu leads me to the conclusion that – with great care in the selection – it might just be possible to squeeze two portions (of the recommended five-portions-a-day of fruit and vegetables) out of a three-course dinner. [Oh, and by the way, the advertised “candlelit dinner” turned out to be one tea-light on our table in a room with electric lighting.]

On that second evening, our starters were cleared by (I think) the hotel owner; I told him of our disappointment in the service we had (not) received the previous evening, and also my concern at the lack of vegetables on offer. He was apologetic, and offered us a drink and dessert. When he returned with the drinks, he said that since our desserts were included in our package, he would make an adjustment to our bill. He didn’t – and he also charged for my husband’s drink.

Would we stay there again? … Hmmm, let me think about that for a moment. Ok, I’ve thought about it. No, we wouldn’t.

2 Thank Rikki-Tikki T
“Sublime!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Had a business lunch in the bar here today. I chose fish and chips, and they were sublime! Tempura batter and freshly made tartar sauce. Just the best fish and chips ever (and I'm a Northerner). My colleague had freshly cut sandwiches oozing filling, and my business associate had salmon terrine. She owns two restaurants in Bristol, so a tough audience. She loved The Ormond! Nice to see that they have changed the restaurant area to be an extension of the bar, as this has always been the cosiest and most atmospheric part of The Ormond.

“Not to go.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We went out for a meal one sunday. Another restaurant we went into was fully booked
so we went into the Ormonds. We were the only people eating at the time. The meal arrived
after ! hr. The bar staff were appologetic about the delay. The food was very average,not what
we expected. There were people staying at the hotel and they required food only to be told
the chef was waiting to go home. This was at 9pm. Neadless to say we have not been in there again.

• Visited November 2013