“Excellent lunch, great vegetarian choices”
Review of The Close Hotel

The Close Hotel
Ranked #6 of 33 Restaurants in Tetbury
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Whether you’re ambling down Tetbury High Street, meeting with friends, celebrating a special occasion or staying in one of our rooms – everybody’s welcome to dine at The Close. We have a dining space to suit any occasion with sumptuous menus to match. Our food is prepared with passion, infused by an excellent selection of fresh, seasonal ingredients available to us right here on our doorstep.
Reviewed 16 January 2014

A group of us went to the Close Hotel for lunch this week. I have not eaten there before, and with three of us being vegetarians I was expecting the usual unimaginative and limited choice which sadly seems so common wherever you go to eat these days.
When our waitress brought us the lunch menus (there were two, a set lunch and the brasserie menu with different vegetarian choices on each), on finding out our dietary requirements we were also offered the evening menu with an alternative choice of starters and main courses.
Not disappointed is an understatement. My shallot and brie tart is probably one of the best vegetarian mains I've eaten in a hotel or restaurant for a long time. Thank you Chef!
It wasn't just the food though, the service was excellent, and the restaurant was bright and airy with a roaring open fire and beautiful views of the gardens. The hotel is beautifully decorated, a mix of old and new in the most impressive of old buildings and I loved art in each of the rooms. Really looking forward to staying here one day!

1  Thank sezzylucy

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I have been here three times in the last month. Twice for coffee and cake, and once for Sunday lunch. The hotel looks great after the refit - Cotswold chic at its best, complete with log fires. On my second visit I would have walked out if not for the pouring rain. It took ten minutes and five members of staff to find out what was the cake of the day. Eventually I got a sliver of cake (for £2.95) which had been warmed up. Served with a knife (??) when a spoon would have been more appropriate. I had to eat with my fingers - but there was no napkin, and no staff to provide one. While I was there I booked a table for Sunday lunch on the following weekend. I wanted to see what the food was like....so we turned up on the Sunday and they had no booking for us. We were lead out of the lovely warm bar, into a restaurant where we were completely alone (there were people in the other dining room), the fireplace had a candle in the grate as the chimney was broken, and the radiator beside us was off. So all in all, cold, and devoid of any atmosphere. The menu is very reasonably priced (£19 for three courses). We waited a long time for any food to arrive. No bread was offered and when we asked the waitress about it she said that "some people" had been asking for bread, and that they were considering doing that (???) The food is presented very nicely, but our starters were quite tasteless. Pork chops were served instead of the pork loin stated on the menu. My "whole baked plaice" was a meagre pan fried specimen, and the pois a la francais was merely peas and silver skin onions. The new potatoes appeared to have been roasted. The desserts were divine! As a local, I really want this place to pull their socks up.

1  Thank Yankeegir
Reviewed 27 December 2013

A much better experience at the Close than our last visit, the refurbishment has been well done and the place is looking good.
Food and service in keeping with the surroundings, very good food well served by happy staff.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This hotel come restaurant has just gone through a very comprehensive refurbishment. We had a great value lunch, really good service , cosy atmosphere. The fine dining evening menu looked great which we will definitely try. I am planning to go back with friends very shortly. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Since it's takeover the whole demeanour of the Close has changed not for the better. What used to be a pleasant lunchtime venue with reasonable menu has disappeared with slow service and regrettably at times only warm food.