“Gorgeous food in a lovely hotel - a real winner”

The Hare and Hounds Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tetbury
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My wife had a business appointment in Bristol, and following this the two of us stayed overnight at this hotel. We had an offer, but as my wife paid I cannot really recall the details of the price, save to say that on looking to rebook for our birthdays I was of a view that the value was excellent.
We turned up to a warm welcome, and ordered afternoon tea. This was very odd. The scones were brown! I have to confess that they were not to my taste, although I would judge well baked (and beautifully presented) but next time I'll go for the crumpets...
Everything after this went very well. We had a modern ground floor room with a terrace that was away from the main building - it was lovely and cosy, and had everything that we could possibly want. Lovely large bath, which is always a special treat.
Later we returned to the main house for dinner. And it was superb. I can't recall exactly what I had to eat, but everything was spot on, and really was of a very high standard indeed. Service was efficient and friendly, and the restaurant was a very pleasant room indeed. We were both surprised at how high the quality was for the price.
A comfortable night followed before breakfast - which was a really classy affair. Breakfast is a meal that when right is such a lovely treat, but so very few hotels manage to get everything right. Well, I felt this hotel did - I was really very impressed indeed. Black pudding was also available, which is of course a vital part of the magic combination.
One of the few hotels that I can say for certain that we'll be back.....

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kindlychap
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Thank you very much indeed for your recent review. I will gladly pass on your kind comments to our Chef and the rest of the team and hope you will join us again in the not too distant future for some more delicious food and a relaxing and refreshing stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed 25 June 2011

Fantastic find of a hotel, relaxed country luxury and 5 star staff.

Our room was a good sized room with a high bed, luxury pillows and molton brown in the bathroom. We stayed in the main building which was ideal for avoiding the snow however I would be tempted to try the delightful looking cottages in the grounds next time.

The fancy restaurant with its extravagant menu isn't to our tastes - but certainly don't feel that we missed anything whilst we enjoyed our gorgeous steak and bottle of red in front of the log fire.

Staff throughout the hotel were attentive, friendly and made the visit feel like a treat.

Breakfast was good with a menu which varied from cooked English to Smoked Salmon, In addition to your choice their was fruit and mini pastries to choice from.

For a one night stay for my partners birthday I couldn't have asked for more and will look forward to sampling another Cotswold Inn Hotel soon.

I recently felt the need to complain to Hotel Du Vin about their '5 star rated' service and in the letter I suggested they visit this hotel for advice on customer care.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LasBabas

We all really appreciated your balanced review. Our staff work very hard to make our guests feel welcome, so its good to hear that we are on the right track. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you will find the rest of the Cotswold Inns hotels just as friendly and comfortable.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Had a lovely nights stay here while attending a concert at the arboretum, I just wish I could have stayed longer as it is such a lovely hotel.
From the moment we arrived we were made very welcome, the staff were all brilliant without exception. They were all extremely friendly and helpful and made our stay in the hotel perfect.
My room was very comfortable and spacious even though it was a single room. We had lunch and breakfast and both meals were delightful and served by a lovely waiter who looked after us very well.
I'm really looking forward to returning, for longer next time!

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank loverealale
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2011

I am delighted that your concert weekend stay was so successful. Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the Hare and Hounds, I will pass on your kind comments to all our staff and hope to welcome you back if you decide to visit the Cotswolds again.

Reviewed 5 June 2011

The Hare and Hounds was my last stop on my 4 day tour of the Cotswolds, and I fully anticipated it would not have met the high standards set by the previous 2 hotels. I was wrong. It is a beautiful old house, with stunning bedrooms.

When my mother and I arrived that evening, we were led outside to an old gate lodge. Our room (Maple) was at the top of this little house, and was wonderful. The decor was gorgeous yet quirky (look out for the velveteen dog wallpaper), the room was huge, and the TV enormous! We went for a short walk in the grounds (they are not extensive but enough for a wander) and then relaxed in the library. There we sat for over an hour, and were surrounded by coffee left over from previous guests, and were not offered any service which was a shame as the room was lovely- a perfect place for and G&T. Perhaps it was up to us to get a drink from the bar, but more attentive service would have been a nice touch.

We ate in Jack Hare's bar, which was nice simple food (tapenade and crostini to start, followed by fish and chips). Breakfast the following morning was absolutely lovely and in the beautiful surroundings of the dining room, making me wish I had eaten there the previous night instead.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bubs1985
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I stayed at the Hare and Hounds for my birthday last year. My family and I Ed it. The rooms are all to a high standard, and all individually furnished. The bed was very comfortable and everything is very clean. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding. My sister brought her dog along, and there was plenty of space for him to run around. Hope to return soon, an ideal place to stay in the autumn.

• Stayed: November 2010
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2011

Your recent review of the Hare and Hounds Hotel was greatly appreciated by all the staff. It sounds as if the dog had a good time too. As you probably found, we had doggie bins around the grounds, bed, bowl and feeding mat in the room and plenty of walks around the area. We would be delighted to see you in the Autumn, its a very special time in this part of the world.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

My family and I went for a short overnight break at this hotel. As we travel a lot, it is with a large degree of bitter experiences that we can say this really is an absolute gem of a find. The hotel itself is a fantastic building, it is also a credit, that a period property often so difficult to look after, in this instance, both the new and old were in a fantastic state of repair.

Our room was set in the new complex away from the main hotel. The room was lovely as was the bathroom. If I were looking for a fault (and I do need to look) the TV could do with a few more channels. The bed itself was very comfortable and the quiet room enabled us to enjoy an excellent night's sleep.

We booked a hotel package with dinner included. The food was as good as some of the Michelin star venues we have visited and was utterly delicious. It was served courteously and discreetly without unnecessary pomp and circumstance. We're also glad the excellent wine list didn't break the bank. This really was an excellent dinner.

Top marks from very happy clients!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2011

Thank you very much for your honest and balanced review. It really is very helpful for the whole team to recieve a little praise and some down to earth observation. We hope you will come back and see us again in the future.

Reviewed 22 May 2011

My mother and Stepfather had their reception in the Hare & Hounds, in the summer of last year. My mum stayed with her sister in a twin room the evening before the wedding and then for her wedding night in a standard double room.

To start off with we ate from the bar menu in the evening and the food was fine, I can’t really rhapsodise about it though. The wedding breakfast food was fine, nothing to wow about, and a tad dull, however it isn’t a set menu so it isn’t fair to base an opinion of the B&B aspect on it.

The breakfast I have been told was brilliant. There was lots of choice, plenty of cooked foods, fruit, juices and drinks. The room itself was clean and tidy, with plenty of space between tables and lovely views.

Both bedrooms were spacious , beautifully decorated and the bathrooms had the luxurious Molton Brown toiletries.

To sum it all up this is a beautiful hotel set in lovely countryside, it is a tad expensive, however all of the guests we had in our party enjoyed their stay and would return.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Japonicastar
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Many thanks for your fair and balanced review of the Hare and Hounds. We greatly appreciate the time our past guests take to let us know how they felt about a stay, it keeps us in touch with what people really think.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tetbury
The Close Hotel
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to The Hare and Hounds Hotel? Share your experiences!