“Stunning location, immaculate suite, lovely staff and the most delicious food. A perfect valentine!”

The Hare and Hounds Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Tetbury
Reviewed 15 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to stay here as a romantic valentines getaway.

My husband had stayed here and had dinner previously with his work. He remembered how nice it was and suggested we try this as a nice treat for valentines day.

When we arrived straight away we received a warm welcome from reception and they could not do enough for us to make sure we were comfortable. We stayed in the Magnolia suite which was away from the main hotel building and in the gardens. It was absolutely stunning and had a hallway a bedroom which opened through seperate doors a large bathroom with large freestanding bath tub and a 2 person shower and lots of lovely Molton Brown goodies. It also had a spacious living room with a tv and coffee making facilities. It also had another tv in the bedroom which had a very large and comfortable superking bed. I can also imagine it being very nice in the summer as it has French doors from the living area into an outdoor area.

We were very comfortable in our room and the hotel had provided everything possible to make our stay nice.

When we arrived we were running a bit late due to traffic as we came from Reading. When we informed the lady at reception we would struggle to make our 8 o clock dinner booking she was so accommodating and said we could change the time or she could mention it to the staff in the restaraunt that we would be a bit late. This then gave us some extra time to get ready.

When we arrived for dinner we were greeted by the most attentative and polite restaurant staff I have had the pleasure to deal with. We were offered pre dinner drinks and the wine list to select prior to our dinner. We were also shown a copy of the valentines his and her menu and it was explained we could swap things if necessary. We were then offered some lovely olives whilst we relaxed and waited to be seated.

Once seated we were directed to one of best seats in the whole restaraunt in a private corner by candle light. The whole restaraunt had been laid out well and we felt very comfortable excited about our 6 course menu. We had an amouse bouche followed by a further 6 delicious courses. My only gripe on the whole meal was the Pinot Noir that I had selected was very cold which I didn't expect for such a nice restaraunt and this did effect the taste of the wine. The staff were of course apologetic and offered to put it in the warm kitchen for a bit until it was a better drinking temperature. The cheese on the cheese and biscuit course was also far too cold to the point it hurt my sensitive teeth. They had obviously pre arranged the cheese plates which the biscuits, chutney and butter etc and put them all in the fridge but the cheese we over cold and hard which shouldn't be the case for really nice cheese. It would have been a lot more delicious if it had been slightly less cold but these 2 points were minor in the overall experience and everything else about the meal and experience were perfect.

At breakfast we were again pleased with the food and they had a great selection of delicious local produce.

When we went to check out we were also given plenty of useful advice about the local and surrounding areas as we live quite far away and wanted to find things to do.

The staff were so friendly and attentive and I can hand on heart say that out of all the hotels I have stayed in (including some very well known supposedly upmarket hotels) the staff were the best unanimously that I have ever come across. There were no bad eggs and every single person that works for Hare and Hounds goes out of there way to make the customer experience perfect. They are a real credit to the owners and the experience will stick in my mind.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and cannot wait for my next trip to the Hare and Hounds in Tetbury.

Thanks to all the staff for a perfect Valentines getaway!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank HannahHipgrave
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Your review will be so helpful for travellers looking for a great Cotswold location for a quick break or to celebrate a special occasion. We are all delighted that you enjoyed our hospitality and hope that you will find time to return to see this lovely area in a different seasonal dress.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed 10 February 2013

The hotel catered for my daughters wedding with about 100 guests , most booked in at the hotel for two nights. We could not have asked for more before and during our stay. The hotel was warm and welcoming with log fire on a wet cold weekend. The food excellent and the staff very friendly , efficient and helpful. The wedding function was organised like clockwork with no fuss and the guests enjoyed the complete experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write following a family Wedding here at the Hare and Hounds. It is usually a bit of a whirlwind for everyone involved, so I really appreciate your review. Weddings are always such happy occasions and our staff quietly enjoy the proceedings along with the guests. Thank you for choosing the Cotswolds and our hotel for your special family occasion.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

We came across this hotel by chance, and how lucky were we? It exudes comfort and charm, our room was cosy and spacious and definitely warm enough despite the original windows which were a little draughty. We were at the front of the hotel and there was a bit of road noise, but nothing bad enough to disturb our sleep, as the traffic diminished in the evening. The full sized Molton Brown toiletries were a real treat. The staff couln't have been friendlier, particularly the lovely lady in charge of breakfast. Although 'only' 4 star, the breakfast was miles better than many 5 stars we have tried, with homemade bread and preserves, and even a home mixed winter cereal. Evening meal in Jack Hares bar was lovely and reasonably priced, and it was a treat having this facility on the premises, not having to venture out in the cold. There was a choice of seating areas back in the hotel in which to relax with a drink. The lounge area, the drawing room and library all had their own character. Didn't have much chance to explore the grounds due to the weather, but what we saw was lovely. Nice location between Westonbirt Arboretum and Highgrove House (which you can't see from the road). Would definitely stay again and spend more time exploring the area.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

So glad you have found us. Our staff are very committed to giving great service so I am really pleased to hear that they continue to deliver that to our guests. The team in Jack Hares bar work hard to please a wide variety of tastes and requirements, so I will make sure they get a copy of your review. Thank you for your tour in words of our hotel, it will be very useful to other travellers looking for a good location for exploring the beautiful Cotswolds.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

This hotel is amazing!we loved everything about it,the room was perfect,large, lovely view,such a comfortable bed,beautiful gardens to walk around,gorgeous lounge to relax.Best of all was our dinner...it was fantastic..please just book this hotel and enjoy..

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank red70_11
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Thank you very much for your review . I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel so much and thank you for being so encouraging, I am sure that travellers looking for a lovely country retreat will find your comments very helpful. We all hope to have the pleasure of your company again in the future.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

We love the Hare & Hounds as it's one of our favourite places to come for something to eat and this time we were once again delighted. The atmosphere in Jack's Bar is always warm and friendly and cosy, but still light and with plenty of space. I wanted a light meal so I ended up having a selection of starters, and they were all delicious: the calamari with light and crispy and perfectly complemented by the paprika aioli; tian of aubergine, tomato and mozzarella was lovely and the crab salad delicious on the toasted brioche. And the onion rings, well, what can I say. I will never want 'ordinary' onion rings again - these light and fluffy creations were absolutely delicious, and I could have easily eaten two portions (but then where would I be with my light dinner?). Full thumbs up again!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IngeDowden
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

The team in Jack Hare's kitchen love your photographs. Thank you very much for your positive review which I have posted on the staff notice board. It is really helpful to know that the style and quality of the food is pleasing our guests. I hope you have an opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

It's an old country listed house full of character. We had a lovely big room with a very comfortable bed. It was at the front, close to the main road with a lovely big bay window, the windows were original with no double glazing but the noise wasn't too bad and didn't bother me.

I liked the Molton Brown products in the bathroom and the room had tea/coffee making facilities and complimentary water, iron, hair dryer and a good selection of television channels.

Breakfast was good. We sat next to a window with a radiator but think if we hadn't I would have been cold. The hotel had a very good sized lounge and drawing room with an open fire. Very welcome as it was a cold night with lots of snow.

My only downside was the wifi and phone signal but when I approached the receptionist she was extremely helpful and did try to help resolve the wifi. Transpired there was a problem with their connection but she was very courteous to phone the room and inform us later when it was discovered.

Would definitely stay again. Hopefully without the snow as the grounds looked lovely too.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank janetsplanet

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Hare and Hounds. Your feedback is balanced and comprehensive and I am sure it will be very helpful for travellers looking for a traditional hotel with caring staff , good food and comfortable accommodation. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

The hotel was just great, the staff couldnt do enough to make sure our stay was excellant. Very traditional hotel, the bedroom and bathroom were excellant. Everything clean and up-to-date. The food for the evening meal was a total must, the chef did himself proud! The waiting staff were brilliant and very friendly, stopping for a chat in-between courses, which was very nice and very welcoming. I can not fault this hotel or there staff, GREAT, BRILLIANT, EXCELLANT, defo recommend. THANK U TO ALL AT THE HARE AND HOUND FOR A GREAT STAY AND WARM WELCOME!!

Room Tip: We stayed just outside the main hotel within the grounds, the room was first class as was the bathro...