“Good base for travels in the area”

The Hare and Hounds Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Tetbury
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed for two nights in one of the rooms in the cottages at the back. Comfortable room. Only noise was one of the other doors shutting. Very good staff. Pleasent and helpful. Good food and beer. No negatives. Visit the arberetum just along the road. The "Cat and custard pot" pub, about three minutes drive is worth a visit. We went on a Tuesday lunchtime and it was nearly full. Not bad for being off the main road.Good food, beer, service and reasonable prices.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Your excellent review is sure to be useful to people staying in the Cotswolds and travelling around the area. Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband, 2 dogs and I stayed here on Sunday for one night on the Dinner, B&B package. From reservation through to check-out on Monday I cannot fault a single member of staff, all were very knowledgeable and friendly.
We stayed in the Beech room which was in the coach house. Plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 lurchers. Very large bed, lots of space for lounging dogs, good sized bathroom, dog bed provided (take your own dog bedding), water bowl and mat provided and lovely Molton Brown toiletries.
As I don't trust my dogs(!) we made arrangements to have dinner in the bar so we could have them with us. Nothing was too much trouble, a table arranged in a quiet corner, very dog friendly staff and exceptional food.
Breakfast was also excellent the following morning. Really great quality and plenty of it.
I mentioned on check-out that we were going to the Arboretum that day, another fantastic dog-friendly place, and the receptionist informed me that they have pre-paid tickets for hotel guests at a reduced rate. How brilliant!
All in all we found this an ideal place to stay and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Many of our guests get great pleasure from spending leisure time with their dogs, and as we like to welcome everyone and enjoy their company, including those with four legs, a little extra care is easy to give.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel about 10 years ago for a murder mystery weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has changed hands since then, but in fact it has improved with new rooms and a larger bar area. We stayed here for a two night stay and were given a very large comfortable room in the new block (Silkwood Court). It had two double beds, a seating area, two televisions and a large bathroom. The first night we ate in the main restaurant, the Beaufort, and the food and service was first class.(this was included in our break) The second night we decided to eat in the Jack Hare's lounge bar and again the food was superb, but very relaxed and less formal. It is very near the arboretum, which we had planned to visit, but it was poring with rain. It is not far from some of the lovely Cotswold villages and close enough to Bath for some good shopping.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the Silkwood rooms which are new and ours was very big.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased that you approve of the new look Hare and Hounds, and that you enjoyed your 2 night experience with us. I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed one night on the 'Autumn Colours' package; 3 course Dinner, Double room, Full Breakfast & two tickets for the Arboretum. The room was great; big bed, big room, Molton & Brown complimentary toiletries - and lots lot these -, complimentary chocolates, etc.
Dinner was really very good indeed. 'Amuse-bouches' served with apéritif, pre-hors d'oeuvres, pre-main course and pre-dessert! Excellent standard of cuisine and looked good value from the menu, although included in our package. Wine list looked good, though not familiar with New World wines, much on offer. The French and Italian choices were good and, for restaurants, reasonable value. The Côtes du Rhone red we had, La Rabassière, was very good indeed
Waiting staff, head waiter/sommelier, maitre d'hotel and reception staff all polite, charming and helpful. We look forward to another stay.

Room Tip: Rooms were available in tastefully built outbuildings. Other customers staying there were enthusiast...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Chef has pinned yur review to his office wall - brilliant! Thank you for all the small details which really help other travellers looking for somewhere a little different.

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my partner for a relaxing two night stay. The hotel was extremely well located right next to Westonbirt arboretum and a couple of miles from Tetbury. On arrival, check in was friendly and efficient and we were shown to a room by a staff member who also showed us around the hotel.

The room was in one of the buildings to the rear of the main hotel set back from the road, and was very luxurious and spacious. It was a perfect mix of a cottage-like feel with modern furnishings and a touch of luxury. Also very quiet and the bed was very comfortable.

The hotel has a fine dining restaurant and a more casual pub restaurant also. We ate in both. The main restaurant was a lovely dining room with excellent food. The service was somewhat sporadic but very friendly and the food was really excellent. The pub was also very relaxed and the food was good. The lounge area was extremely relaxing for an after-dinner drink, or for tea during the day.

Breakfast each day was excellent, and the lady running it (name escapes me) was very attentive and considerate of each table. The full English was excellent in quality, as was the buffet.

All in all this is a really excellent hotel, with friendly and relaxing service and a lovely atmosphere. The room was spacious and the food excellent. I would recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing break in the Cotswolds.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recommendation. There is no doubt that the beautiful Cotswolds fulfill that image of relaxation and peace, so we feel very lucky to be working in that atmosphere, and try to infuse that feeling into each guest's stay.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I'm going to let all my photos speak for me - but I do have to HIGHLY recommend this lovely hotel. We stayed on a Friday night Dinner, Bed and Breakfast package that included champers on arrival. I added in some chocolates and Westonbirt Arboretum tickets and the whole lot came to a total of of GBP260. At the exchange rate Australia was enjoying at the time I purchased my pounds - I thought this was great value.

In addition to the gorgeous suite in the Silkwood wing (see photos) the dinner was simply sensational - we felt very spoiled to be enjoying such a sumptuous meal in such a beautiful location. There were no supplements or restrictions in the package. And the breakfast menu the following morning was amazing - a bridal party (family and friends) had arrived to set up the night before and even though the breakfast session was a very busy one - we were still served promptly.

Two minor suggestions for the dining room: please ensure that your very friendly wait staff can speak English properly and do understand the menu enough to be able to answer all questions, and please provide toothpicks. There were none on the table and none on offer when I asked for one. The lovely waiter with the limited English eventually realised what I needed and went to the bar and came back with a very fancy cocktail stick which ultimately did the job! But it took a while!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Talk61
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you very much for your review. Your sense of enjoyment comes over very clearly. I am delighted that the hotel came up to your expectations and I have passed on your kind comments to Chef and his team. I appreciate your suggestion regarding our non-English staff. They are all very hard working, it just takes some folks a little longer to master the intricacies of English than others, but I do understand your point of view.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the weekend and we absolutely loved the room! The bed was huge and very comfortable, the bathroom was lovely and the Molton Brown toiletries were a very welcome and luxurious touch! The staff on reception were faultless as we're the staff who served us at breakfast...however...
We booked a table in Jack Hares, the bar attached to the hotel as the restaurant was fully booked. We arrived and were seated at a table squashed in between two other tables, despite there being more spacious tables available. We sat down to eat and the food was very nice, when our mains were served both of our glasses were empty and we had to call the waiter back and ask for more drinks as he plonked our mains down and left promptly. During our main, every couple, apart from us were asked how their meal was and if they needed anything else! Having finished our main at a similar time to a couple adjacent to us we waited for well in excess of 40 minutes for our plates to be cleared (they were never cleared as we left beforehand). What made this worse was that the couple next to us had their plates cleared, dessert orders taken, desserts served, dessert plates cleared, bill prepared, and they paid and left and all the time we were sat there with empty plates in front of us! We planned on having dessert but after 40 minutes of being ignored we decided to leave...very disgruntled and unhappy customers!
Despite this, it was a very enjoyable weekend! Highly recommend Westonbirt Arboretum!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

I was really sorry to hear that you were recieved poor service when you stayed at the hotel recently. The staff in the bar are normally so customer focused and smiley, so I went to them for some feedback. No-one could explain, but all were most embarrassed. They are clearly capable of giving great service, but failed to take care of you properly. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to show that we can do a far better job.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tetbury
The Close Hotel
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to The Hare and Hounds Hotel? Share your experiences!