1,187 results
All reviewsbeaufort restaurantwestonbirt arboretumsilkwood courtgame keepersgamekeepers cottagethe main hotelmolton brown toiletriesmagnolia suitelovely hotelsublime sundaylovely groundssingle roombusy roadsunday lunchlounge areacotswold innsfine dining
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I had a couple of days leave owed to me so I thought I would visit my favourite Cotswold hotel again.
Upon my arrival I was informed that I had been given a complimentary room upgrade...... the room was superb with views over the gardens.
My stay was very peaceful and relaxing as the hotel was very quiet to the point where I was the only diner that night in the restaurant.
The dinner was truly outstanding, so much so that I asked if the chef could come out to see me so that I could thank him personally.
I will be visiting again in a couple of weeks time and am really looking forward to seeing everyone.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the rear of the hotel overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Chef was both embarrassed and delighted to be called from his kitchen. Thank you, that was such a morale boost for him. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

From the moment we checked in all the staff we met were so friendly and helpful. The room we had was delightful and extremely comfortable. We stayed in Juniper which was one of the silk wood rooms.
We ate in Jack Hares on our first night and enjoyed a very tasty burger with all the trimmings . Again the staff couldn't do enough to help and service good.
Breakfast both mornings was excellent and all tastes were catered for. Certainly set us up for the day.
We shared an afternoon tea which was thoroughly enjoyed by both of us. The scones were warm and delicious!
We had a lovely few days and would certainly return. Thank you to all the staff - you're great!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

It is really good to hear that your experience at the Hare and Hounds was a pleasing one. Thank you for including your thoughts on Jack Hare's Bar, Breakfast and Afternoon Tea. I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We had a wonderful 3 night stay over New Year! From the moment we arrived on the 30th the pampering began...a lovely afternoon tea in a cosy lounge followed by an excellent dinner later on...I'm going to run out of superlatives very quickly! From start to finish the food was great...some very interesting combinations and imaginative presentation. On New Years Eve the evening commenced with champagne and canapes followed by a 7 course dinner, again served with interesting flourishes.....and the main course beef fillet just melted in the mouth. The live music was very good..it was nice to be able to talk without being drowned out, and most people got on to the dance floor...eventually! Midnight was marked by more champagne and a live bagpipe serenade. When the music finished it was nice to retire to the lounge to finish off our drinks in comfort.
The room was very good with a large comfy bed and nice warm bathroom with big bath towels...so many hotels scrimp on them!
Last but by no means least I can't praise the staff highly enough...they made us so welcome and nothing was too much trouble for them. This was our first visit but certainly not our last!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

I am so pleased that you had a good time during your New Year stay. We try very hard to plan the event from the guests view point, to give the 'Wows' in the right places, and build in quality and fun as well. Food and sevice are clearly paramount, but every small thing matters.Very many thanks for taking the time to write your review, our staff have all been thrilled to read it.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is an excellent hotel just outside of Tetbury with so much to do in the surrounding area. The hotel staff are outstanding - very welcoming and attentive. Our room was cosy with a lovely view over the garden. The highlight of our stay was the evening meal which was superb. Everything was cooked to perfection and an absolute delight. We certainly my plan to return in the spring and highly recommend the Hare and Hounds.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay at the Hare and Hounds.
chef and his team are thrilled that you enjoyed their food so much, and are very proud to have a copy of your review up on their kitchen notice board.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We visited with friends who live near-by, as an antedote to the previous evening's excesses. None of us were quite sure what sort of afternoon tea experience we would receive, but were very pleased indeed with our visit.

When entering the hotel we were greeted warmly, and then shown to the Library, to discover that the room had been set aside just for our party - what a lovely room. Great stuff! We were then asked what hot drinks we would like, and could choose from coffee, 'regular' tea or other teas (fruity, Earl Grey etc.). Having made our choices, a short while later the drinks arrived, together with an extensive selection of sandwiches, all rather yummy. Just as we were working our way through them, numerous fruit scones arrived, together with copious amounts of jam and cream. As all were delicious, the start of the 2014 diet had to be postponed for a few hours. The scones were also accompanied by a selection of small cakes - a chocolatey mousse cake, lemon cake, and a coconuty cake. Suffice to say that, while our party included a couple of characters renowned for doing a good clean-up job whenever food is on offer, some of the scones and little cakes had to be boxed for later.

Service was great - very friendly and efficient. Finally when it came to pay the bill, we were amazed at how reasonable it was for the 6 of us (particularly given what can be charged for afternoon tea in other locations).

So, we didn't stay at the hotel so will leave comments on stays to others. However, if you are craving an excellent, high quality proper afternoon tea when on your travels (or indeed when staying at the hotel) you will struggle to find one better than at the Hare & Hounds.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RichardP46

Thank you very much for letting us know how much you enjoyed yourAfternoon Tea. I am sure your comprehensive review will be very helpful for other travellers looking for good quality food and genuine guest care.