1,185 results
All reviewsbeaufort restaurantwestonbirt arboretumsilkwood courtgame keepersgamekeepers cottagethe main hotelmolton brown toiletriesmagnolia suitelovely hotelsublime sundaylovely groundssingle roombusy roadsunday lunchlounge areacotswold innsfine dining
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a couple of nights here over the Christmas holidays. We took our dog with us (to book a dog friendly room you will need to contact the hotel directly) we were surprised to find that we could pretty much take him everywhere with us (apart from the Beaufort Restaurant) they even set up tables in the lounge area for breakfast so we could bring him with us. The staff are so friendly and helpful. Nice sized rooms, very clean, its a beautiful hotel.

The National Arboretumis a 20 min walk away, definitely worth a visit. We plan to visit this hotel again with friends some time over the summer!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N_82_H
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

The staff and I are all very pleased that you enjoyed the hotel's hospitality. It was a pleasure to accommodate you and your dog for Breakfast in the lounge, we very often find that is a great way for guests to fully enjoy their time away with a much loved pet.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

The hotel room was lovely and is ideal for a stay with a dog. However, there is no bins to put dog poos anywhere on the site . There are so many lovely walks around which makes it an ideal place of to stay with Dogs.

We had a snack in the Jacks Bar but was not a particularly large portion despite the price. The chips were just large frozen ones so rather tasteless. We would have liked some soup but this was not offered after a certain time although it is on the room service menu.
The meal in the evening was poor and the wine was not cheap and not very good either. The breakfast was tired , the two little mushrooms were shrivelled up and everything had been standing around waiting .
It's crazy that you are unable to come out of the function room and not be able to access the main hotel lounge and reception without having to walk around outside of the hotel, as the only way is through the main dining room . Fine once everyone has eaten . The area outside the function room is sterile and could be made more comfortable with a few comfortable sofas and tables for those wanting to sit and chat away from the music. The DJ was awful as was the choice of music at times especially at the end of the evening when the music should be getting people up for final dances.

The internet is a waste of time even in the main hotel we were unable to connect to it and the mobile phone connection almost impossible in most places. So any important messages would have not have been received easily.

Not a cheap hotel but food and wine could be so much better.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you found the hotel dog friendly. We provide a dog walking map of our garden at Reception which has 3 dog bins clearly marked. There are also some pretty lanes around the area which are good for exercising dogs. The bar which is part of the hotel's function suite has often to accommodate a large number of wedding guests and as there are seven separate doors in that bar which have to be kept clear, it is neither safe nor practical to put chairs and tables there. I am sorry you did not enjoy the music. The DJ has done many successful events for us in the past, but of course , taste in music is very much a personal matter.
The organisers of the function you attended made a copy of our wine list available for those attending to choose their own wines, the hotel then supplied the wine which was requested.
Mobile phone connection can be difficult in this area because of the number of very tall trees.
I have bought your comment regarding the chips in Jack Hare's bar to Chef's notice and he is taking action to deal with this, so thank you for that obsevation.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Enjoyed superb afternoon tea on New Years day. The library had been reserved for our party of 6 & this made the occasion extra special. The price was even better...excellent value at £10.95 per head. Go on give it a try.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Helen A
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for your recommendation of our afternoon tea, I am delighted that you enjoyed the whole experience. It is rather lovely to sit in the warm Library with views of our beautiful, though probably rather wet and windy, seven acre garden.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I went for dinner in 'Jack Hares Bar' (in the hotel) last night. The food quality was okay but our portions in all 3 courses were really small. We honestly left feeling hungry. We politely pointed this out to the waiter who agreed with us that certain dishes were tiny, but no apology was offered from anyone. This may be partly why the whole bar was almost deserted for the whole 3 hours we were there. Not a great night out !

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TANGOGloucestershire
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I have recieved a full report from Bar staff regarding a complaint and Head Chef has taken steps to resolve any issue of portion size. I am very sorry that you were not happy with the food you recieved, and am grateful that you mentioned it at the time of your visit. I hope you may decide to give the Bar another try in due course.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I had a couple of days leave owed to me so I thought I would visit my favourite Cotswold hotel again.
Upon my arrival I was informed that I had been given a complimentary room upgrade...... the room was superb with views over the gardens.
My stay was very peaceful and relaxing as the hotel was very quiet to the point where I was the only diner that night in the restaurant.
The dinner was truly outstanding, so much so that I asked if the chef could come out to see me so that I could thank him personally.
I will be visiting again in a couple of weeks time and am really looking forward to seeing everyone.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the rear of the hotel overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Chef was both embarrassed and delighted to be called from his kitchen. Thank you, that was such a morale boost for him. We look forward to your next visit.