“soooo disappointed”

The Hare and Hounds Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Tetbury
Reviewed 26 May 2014

First of all, the hotel is very pleasant. The grounds are nice and the rooms are comfortable. We had a four poster bed which was nice. All the usual amenities such as tea/ coffee/ hairdryer/tv etc were available. I booked on line for my partners birthday, including the evening meal. On arrival, we checked in by friendly staff, and were told that our table was reserved for 7: 30. When we arrived at the restaurant there was no record of our booking and we were sent to the bar. The bar also had no booking for us. We stood around for 20 mins before they decided they could ask the chef if we could be fitted in to the restaurant. Meanwhile the wedding party were EVERYWHERE and very noisy. We eventually had a meal in the bar which under other circumstances would have been acceptable, but not quite the birthday treat I had planned. I asked for a bottle of prosecco, only to be told that they didn't have any as the wedding guests had taken it all, but I could order champagne instead!! The waiter was very apologetic. He was doing his best to keep us happy as he was aware that things weren't going well. Eventually we went back to our room, and watched TV. Our room was just above reception, and was soooo noisy. I'm no kill joy, but by 2:30 in the morning we were still being kept awake by wedding guests. The noise was awful. I feel that the hotel need to manage their wedding guests as a separate entity from the other guests, and try to keep everyone happy. Its a lot of money to pay to feel disappointed and exhausted. When we went back to our car, someone had pulled our registration plate off too!! To end on a plus note, the breakfast was delicious, but I wont be going back

Room Tip: Ask to be as far away from the bar and noisy areas
1  Thank seashell25
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback following a weekend stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the Wedding party. We do ensure that we contact all other guests to inform them that a Wedding will be taking place during their stay, and understand entirely if they ask to change their booking. My team are all very aware of the need to look after guests who are not part of a Wedding party, and do all they can to protect them from the general hubbub which goes with a Wedding. Your restaurant booking was noted, but withour your name ,so I apologise for any confusion. Wedding guests are generally very good humoured and intent on having a good time, but of course ,are occasionally over-exuberant and noisy. Our apologies from the whole team , we hope you may re-consider and visit again in the future, ...minus Wedding.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed for one night in the main hotel building. Lovely room ( Room 14) and very helpful staff on reception. Had a really nice meal in the evening with excellent service. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Breakfast was also good.
Would definitely recommend for a nice relaxing break. There is some traffic noise from the road at the front but it didn't really bother us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
harehounds, General Manager at The Hare and Hounds Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you very much for your recent review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and happy that the standard of food and service met your expectations. I am lucky to have a great team of staff here, and It is such a morale boost for them when guests take the time to let them know their hard work is appreciated.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Just the ticket! Went for a two night visit to the countryside and were delighted with our choice. Walked through fields, polo grounds, and meadows and enjoyed the lovely English countryside, plus a visit to the arboretum practically next door. Breakfasts were included and very ample. The grounds are lovely and our rooms were comfortable and clean. The four poster even had lights in the canopy for reading in bed! Front desk was a bit unfriendly, but we didn't really need them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

How wonderful that you were able to enjoy the beautiful Cotswold countryside and feel comfortable and relaxed at our lovely hotel. I am sorry if our Reception staff were not their usual friendly selves, they were a bit shocked when they read your review ! It soon perked everyone up.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife and I stopped off for some light lunch on Friday 2nd May on our way down to Bath for the weekend. The place looks lovely and is well appointed. After we ordered a couple of drinks we sat down with the menu to order a light lunch. I ordered a double Gloucester cheese and pickle sandwich and my wife a starter of asparagus with hollandaise and poached egg. That was the start of the issue. We had to chase our order twice and it took over half an hour to eventually arrive. My sandwich, which was ordered on farmhouse white had had the crusts cut off and was literally the smallest sandwich I have ever seen - not even a child's portion! My wife's asparagus was ok if a bit bland. We were not the only people with a delay problem, the gent on the next table had to chase his club sandwich order twice but at least when it came, it was huge. I was jealous. My sandwich actually tasted great. It just took over 30 minutes to make and less than 30 seconds to eat. A real shame for such a nice place.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John S

Thank you for letting me know about your disappointing experience on a recent visit to our bar. I am really sorry that you should be kept waiting so long, and that you felt let down by the food when it arrived. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to do something far better for you should you decide to give us a second chance and visit again in the future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Went here for lunch with high hopes .Amazing building & interiors .The good was ok but nothing at all special.Two mains & three small glasses wine nearly £50.
Could get far better food & better value in my local pub.
Service ok..but all very average I'm afraid.

• Stayed: May 2014

I am sorry to hear that the quality of your lunch was below par, and thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to let me know your feelings. It is so disappointing when you have looked forward to a meal , to find it just doesn't live up to your expectations. We have now overcome some staffing difficulties and have moved on with all round improvements to food and service. I do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Hare & Hounds for one night over the holiday weekend. It was our first visit to this hotel, although we have stayed in other Cotswolds Inns hotels, and find them to be of consistently good quality. We had a "Spring into the Cotswolds" dinner, B&B package. Our room was in the main part of the hotel and was fine - a little "tired", perhaps, but clean and perfectly adequate for a night's stay - I always enjoy using the Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom! We overlooked the very pretty gardens. We found all staff to be welcoming and friendly. Dinner was maybe a little heavy on the "foam" style of cuisine, but tasty and beautifully presented - my sea-bass was delicious. We had no fewer than 3 amuse bouches and they were delightful - I particularly liked a minty strawberry one. Breakfast was fabulous, as always in Cotswolds Inns - I really like that you can have exactly what you want for the cooked part. All in all we had a lovely stay and it was the perfect location for our visit to the Westonbirt Arboretum, which was truly beautiful. I'm sure it won't be the last time we stay in a Cotswolds Inns hotel!

1  Thank bb67Nottingham

It is always a pleasure to welcome a Cotswold Inns 'regular'. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for all the little snippets of information which are so useful to other travellers looking for a relaxing country getaway.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Oh dear. Beautiful hotel. Bar food tasted good. BUT my portion of beef strog more like a childs portion. And service very poor. No smiles or welcoming feel. Didnt ask if we enjoyed our meal. Had to ask for dessert menu. And tried to charge us twice for our drinks. No apology. Very disapointing.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Barbara G

Thank you for your review and the observations you have passed on about disappointing service in our bar. I am very sorry indeed to hear that my normally pleasant , hard working team did not meet our own good standards of service, and your review will serve to highlight how very important that personal care and attention is to everyone.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tetbury
The Close Hotel
The Manor House Hotel and Golf Club
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham

Been to The Hare and Hounds Hotel? Share your experiences!