“OK.. but could be great!”
Review of Snooty Fox Hotel

Snooty Fox Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Tetbury
Rickmansworth, Herts. UK
“OK.. but could be great!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here during Badminton....Lets first focus on the positives. The pub is great, the restaurant food is really not bad at all and the staff are very friendly and really nice people. Its also very dog friendly, which for me is a major plus. The hotel itself simply needs updating in its decor. The neutral brown matted carpet up from the main lobby itself makes "day guests" think that the decor all around the hotel is equally neutral and well maintained. Not so - as soon as you head into the communal areas you step back 40 years (the carpets themselves may even be that old!). The room we had was OK - large, with a comfortable bed and sofa. The bathroom was fine - although the over bath shower was weak and the main taps leaked. The carpet again needed some attention. Now I have stayed at other hotels such as Whatley Manor and even the Hare and Hounds (Westonbirt) which allow dogs and you cannot blame them for causing additional wear and tear on the place. It simply needs investment to bring them up to a good standard.
Overall the pub is friendly and the restaurant (whilst the service can be slow) is good - but it only gets a 3.4* /5* average from me as the place needs investment to bring the hotel up to standard. Do that well - and you get a 4.4*....... look forward to staying with you again, when !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Tetbury-food-lover, General Manager at Snooty Fox Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking time write a review and for your custom over the years. The Snooty is starting to show its age and the refurbishment of the rooms and is in the planning stage as I write this. I do believe our rates reflect this when you compare them to the competition you mention.

I look forward as you do to when.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Lydney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My Husband and I stayed at The Snooty Fox last night as a last minute getaway.

We arrived just after 4 so only had to pay for 2 hours parking - it's free on Sundays.

Check-in was easy, evening meal was out of this world - I tried Guinea Fowl for the first time and it was amazing. Every course of both of our meals was beautiful to the eye and even better to the palette.

Social club didn't keep us awake and we were back in our room just after 10pm - we stayed in room 4.

Sorry, didn't check out the curtains or braiding - was too busy enjoying my wine in the Jacuzzi bath!

The little touches such as the bath robes and every kind of tea possible were fab.

Breakfast was perfect, plenty of toast and tea/coffee. Gloucester Old Spot sausages were literally spot-on!

Service was great at every turn.

Would highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsIMH
Tetbury-food-lover, General Manager at Snooty Fox Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your review and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We visited on Easter Monday for a cream tea. There was one person working in the bar and serving in at least three areas. Our scones were soggy and too warm and there was not enough cream.

Given it a slightly high score as the atmosphere was nice and the food was well presented, but I would personally give another place a try when seeking out scones, jam and cream.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle S
Tetbury-food-lover, General Manager at Snooty Fox Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
I am sorry you did not enjoy your scones. Naturally if you had asked for more cream this would have been forthcoming. We do endeavour to serve the highest standard of scones and bake them on site. Sometimes there are slight differences. I hope you will return shortly.
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We just returned from a weekend stay at The Snooty Fox and following the reviews here, I had great expectations. Unfortunately, I was very much underwhelmed. The rate we paid (£130 for Friday and £160 for Saturday, B&B), I feel did not represent good value for money. The decor of the rooms is very tired and dated - so much so that the room felt a bit 'dirty' even though it had obviously been cleaned.

We stayed in Room 3, which was classed as a 'superior' room with a sofa and a jacuzzi bath. The bath was lovely and a very nice touch, as was the sofa. The unfortunate thing about this room, however, was the it overlooked a local social club which (we found) was incredibly lively on a Friday and Saturday night. Both myself and my husband were kept up until approx 2am every night from the noise of drunken clubbers next door. I appreciate there is very little the hotel can do about this, which is why I did not mention it to the manager when we checked out - but those thinking of staying here should take note - prepare for a sleepless night!

The breakfast was acceptable, apart from the sausages which were grissley and mine even had a small bone! The coffee was far too strong (and I like strong coffee!) and we were never once offered toast, despite the other tables in the breakfast area having an abundance!

Finally - there is no hotel parking! I emailed the hotel two days before we arrived asking if there was a car park nearby, but I did not receive a response - which I thought was poor. When we arrived, we discovered there was a SHORT STAY car park behind the hotel, which was fine if you don't mind popping out every three hours to top up the ticket (it is free overnight)! There is a long stay car park further down the road, but it has a gate which is locked at 8pm - not much good if you're going out for dinner!

We came for a romantic weekend away and sadly were very disappointed. We love the area, but will not go back to the Snooty Fox.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mary S
Thank you taking the time to review your stay.

As you rightly highlight the bulk of the issues you experienced are out of our control. I do want to clarify for other readers though that the long stay car park is accessible 24 hours a day from several other entrances and in fact despite the notice on the gate in my time it has not actually been locked (although you would not know this).
The sausages are made by Jessie Smiths the butcher in Tetbury and I will be raising the fact that you found his sausages not up to scratch. I am sorry that you feel the room was not up to scratch and that you were not offered toast. I will look into this.

I regret that you will not be returning to The Snooty Fox
wales
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Pros: Our room (Cottesmore) exceeded expectations. Large, with sofa & table. Bathroom very nice with robes included + spa bath. Tea/coffee tray very comprehensive. Bed/pillows comfy. Free DVDs library.
The staff were very pleasant and the bar area is a nice traditional area.
The breakfast was very good.
The location is excellent - right by the Market Hall in the middle of Tetbury.
The B&B rate we paid was value for money.
Cons: No parking. We were very lucky to find a free spot nearby. The nearby Pay & Display had a daytime maximum stay of 3 hours (8am - 6pm). There is a free carpark about half a mile away though.
The state of the carpets in the public areas upstairs are rather offputting but our room was clean.
The bar food we were served was sub standard - cold & tastless. The young waitress did not deal with the problem at all well - in fact I would score her 1/10 for customer service. However, a more senior member of staff dealt effectively with this issue on check-out.

Room Tip: Cottesmore room was very good.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the review. As I have commented to the previous reviewer who I understand was with you we did not live up to our usual standards in the delivery of service or the quality of the bar food. I apologise for this and the fact it was not put right on the spot.

In terms of the rest of the review you correctly highlight the pros and cons.
Midlands
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Great room @ Snooty Fox which included breakfast( which was fine). Debated about eating elsewhere on the evening but we eventually ordered the fish pie @ £12. It was fairly awful & tasteless & my sister's was actually still cold! Would not recommend( we eventually went to another hotel to eat). However on checking out the cost of the 2 fish pies was removed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank WelshAnnie
I apologise for the poor experience and subsequent poor handling of your complaint. It is always disappointing that we do meet the standards and on this occasion we fell short. I hope this has not put you off visiting us again.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

A traditional pub steeped in history in a central position. The staff were very welcoming and helpful, the room large, providing everything we needed. The jacuzzi bath was a lovely surprise. The food was excellent and the chef a real star; he even went to the trouble to print off a recipe for me! We had the added bonus of being there on April 23rd (St. George's Day) so we were entertained by the Gloucester Morris Men who, after dancing outside, went into the bar for a singing session. Lots of songs to join in with and again, all were very friendly and welcoming. I would certainly stay there again. A good base to explore from. We spent one day in Bath and used the "Park & Ride" which was very easy to find from Tetbury.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I hope you have had a chance to try the recipe.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tetbury
The Hare and Hounds Hotel
Calcot Manor
Calcot Manor
#1 of 1 in Calcot
Best Western Mayfield House Hotel

Been to Snooty Fox Hotel? Share your experiences!