“Who can resist staying at a place called The Snooty Fox?”
Review of Snooty Fox Hotel

Snooty Fox Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Tetbury
Placentia, CA
“Who can resist staying at a place called The Snooty Fox?”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This small hotel (12 rooms) is in the center of Tetbury, in itself a small village. It was once the
Market place and still has the building built in 1655. Quaint buildings and shops. Near Bath.
Good English breakfast if you like that sort of food.

Room Tip: Rooms are vastly different. We had a small, hot room and our friends had a large room with an a/c so...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Tetbury-food-lover, General Manager at Snooty Fox Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Great Review. Thanks for taking the time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Sussex
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We needed somewhere to eat on the Friday evening before a wedding in Tetbury on the Saturday. As we looked round the town the Snooty Fox looked an unlikely choice. From the street it looked like a pub that served food. How wrong we were. From the moment we entered we were made to feel very welcome by the duty manager. She found us a quiet room( we had a baby with us) and was attentive, cheerful, helpful and charming throughout our whole meal, which was excellent. All courses were tasty, beautifully cooked and just a little bit different from some pub/hotel meals. Well done to all the staff and thank you for such a lovely evening.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and will certainly pass on your praise to the member of staff concerned.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed on a Thursday and Friday night, arriving a bit early before room was available but our bags were stored behind reception and taken to our room to await our arrival which was a nice touch. Our room, (room4) a superior double was pleasant, with a comfortable bed and soft pillows , the bathroom had both a shower over the bath which had good pressure and a spa bath, both the bedroom and the bathroom were of good decorative order, just some chips in the wallpaper just inside the door where suitcases have damaged the corner. Tea and coffee making facilities were good with a cafe tier for the coffee which we liked. The only downside to the room/location was that the hotel sits alongside quite busy road which quite noisy up till about 10pm, normally I don't think this would be to much of a problem unless you like sleep with windows open, or as in our case we stayed on two of warmest nights of the year so having to sleep with window shut was bit stuffy, the windows are secondary glazed which do good job of keeping the outside noise to minimum.
Breakfast was excellent, with an extensive choice, we can reccomend the smoked salmon and scrambled egg, service was very good and the gentleman who served us was very good, cheerful and helpful. We paid £210 for the two nights bed and breakfast, which was about the right value. Because of other commitments were did not eat in the restaurant in the evening.
Overall the stay was good, it is an old building which has its charms and compromises with possibly the upper hall to the bedrooms needing a bit of a refurbishment.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you again and your comments will be passed on to the staff.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We went here for valentines weekend (i'm a little late in my review). We came on an overnight dinner bed and breakfast package. The hotel itself was lovely and our room was really charming, with a little lounge area, perfect for our toddlers cotbed. Everything was clean, comfortable and attractive. When we went down for dinner we were only one of three tables in the restaurant at 8pm which I found a little odd for a Saturday night. The package included a 3 course dinner and our portions were tiny and the prices were not cheap. it was very disappointing. I did mention it to the server as we were leaving and was told they'd had similar complaints. My partner chose this because it looked so lovely but we would be reticent to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for our review. Whilst late, I appreciate the review.
New Jersey
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I wanted to love this Hotel. I chose the hotel for our stay in the area, and I regret the choice.

Let's start with the positives -- some great staff who were very welcoming; a talented chef who made the meals there excellent (and carried the luggage up the stairs - thanks); and a great location. If I was just judging this establishment based on the first floor pub (including the decor, food and service), then the rating would be much higher. The building clearly shows its long history, and the pub is clearly an attraction in the area.

However, the hotel aspect was and is a disaster. My room (number 1) was incredibly small, dark, and in poor condition. The wall paper was stained; the bed was uncomfortable; the furniture looked like a collection of castaways; the bathroom was also cramped; and the wifi was spotty. Smells from the kitchen wafted through the room. Arguments in the street could be clearly heard at all hours. The room was also very cold. Then there was the incident of someone trying hard to enter my room while I was in it at 11:30 at night. When told of this, the hotel staff noted that a wedding party was in residence and it was probably a guest who had the wrong room; my concern did not appear to be a concern to them. At check out, all sorts of wrong charges on my room bill and they charged me in a converted US dollar amount higher than my credit card conversion rate. The hotel hallway rugs are ragged and the upstairs needed refreshing. The rate charged was not commensurate with the experience that I would have expected.

It was clear that the hotel is a secondary operation, both in condition and the attention of some staff. This establishment needs to decide if it really wants to be in the hotel business. If so, the rooms and running of the hotel end of the business need serious and immediate attention.

It is rare that I give so negative a report for an establishment. However, when returning to Tetbury in the future, it will not be to this hotel (though I may come to the pub).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Often_on_road
Tetbury-food-lover, General Manager at Snooty Fox Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am sorry that our staff did not treat your concerns as seriously as they should have. Over the years here at the Snooty we have always tried to balance being an Inn with 12 bedrooms and a popular drinking and eating establishment with locals, On your visit we obviously got this balance wrong.

We believe the rates we charge for our rooms reflect their worth and I am sorry you feel this was not the case. I have family in the USA and my brother had his wedding in New Jersey and I do have to say you get a lot more for your dollar than we do for our pound.

Thank you for your custom and I hope we will see you again.
Rickmansworth, Herts. UK
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here during Badminton....Lets first focus on the positives. The pub is great, the restaurant food is really not bad at all and the staff are very friendly and really nice people. Its also very dog friendly, which for me is a major plus. The hotel itself simply needs updating in its decor. The neutral brown matted carpet up from the main lobby itself makes "day guests" think that the decor all around the hotel is equally neutral and well maintained. Not so - as soon as you head into the communal areas you step back 40 years (the carpets themselves may even be that old!). The room we had was OK - large, with a comfortable bed and sofa. The bathroom was fine - although the over bath shower was weak and the main taps leaked. The carpet again needed some attention. Now I have stayed at other hotels such as Whatley Manor and even the Hare and Hounds (Westonbirt) which allow dogs and you cannot blame them for causing additional wear and tear on the place. It simply needs investment to bring them up to a good standard.
Overall the pub is friendly and the restaurant (whilst the service can be slow) is good - but it only gets a 3.4* /5* average from me as the place needs investment to bring the hotel up to standard. Do that well - and you get a 4.4*....... look forward to staying with you again, when !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking time write a review and for your custom over the years. The Snooty is starting to show its age and the refurbishment of the rooms and is in the planning stage as I write this. I do believe our rates reflect this when you compare them to the competition you mention.

I look forward as you do to when.
Lydney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My Husband and I stayed at The Snooty Fox last night as a last minute getaway.

We arrived just after 4 so only had to pay for 2 hours parking - it's free on Sundays.

Check-in was easy, evening meal was out of this world - I tried Guinea Fowl for the first time and it was amazing. Every course of both of our meals was beautiful to the eye and even better to the palette.

Social club didn't keep us awake and we were back in our room just after 10pm - we stayed in room 4.

Sorry, didn't check out the curtains or braiding - was too busy enjoying my wine in the Jacuzzi bath!

The little touches such as the bath robes and every kind of tea possible were fab.

Breakfast was perfect, plenty of toast and tea/coffee. Gloucester Old Spot sausages were literally spot-on!

Service was great at every turn.

Would highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsIMH
Tetbury-food-lover, General Manager at Snooty Fox Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your review and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay. Come back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tetbury
The Hare and Hounds Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,136 reviews
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Malmesbury

Been to Snooty Fox Hotel? Share your experiences!