“Not customer friendly” 1 of 5 bubbles

Quayles
Ranked #19 of 32 Restaurants in Tetbury
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cafe
Rugby, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not customer friendly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We chose to break a long journey home at Tetbury as we had on the outward journey. Unfortunately it was a Monday [7thApril] and Tetbury seems to shut on Mondays. However it was lunchtime and we needed refreshments and Quayles looked like a nice enough place. We found a table, sat down and perused the menus and made choices whilst a polite young man cleared the table. So far so good. A man who I took to be the manager appeared from the back of the cafe finishing off a phone call. A couple of minutes later he came across to our table, not to take our order as we expected, but to inform us that he was keeping the table for someone who had gone away for a few minutes and was coming back when it was free. He pointed out some high bar stools in the window. This is no way to treat potential customers. If a table is reserved, it should have a reserved sign clearly on it and all staff should be aware of the situation. We carried on to Cirencester for our lunch and probably won't bother to pitstop at Tetbury again. This is a shame as it has some very nice shops.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank kathleen b
David H, Owner at Quayles, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We occasionally get very busy and if we have run out of space then customers ask if they could have the next table that becomes available. In order to be helpful we try and make this possible but I understand that this might not be clear to a new customer walking in. We will put a new system in place so that this problem does not occur again. Please accept our apologies for the confusion and perhaps if you are passing you might consider giving us a go.

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Not overwhelmed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

It was busy - always a good sign - service was slow but we weren't in a hurry so didn't bother us too much. Limited menu choice but again not a real issue. My husband ordered a pie and cheese ploughman which arrived without the cheese - to be fair they did knock it off the bill at the end. Pricey for what you get but you are in tetbury you don't expect things to be cheap!

Visited March 2014
David H, Owner at Quayles, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We have improved the service have taken note of some recent reviews and hopefully if you return will find things rather quicker.
Orange County California
“Best Coffee in Town.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I passed Quayles everyday, and just had to stop in for a cappuccino. It's one of a few that do take away in Tetbury, and being American, take away is how I do coffee. The quiche is very good, and I even had them order one for me to take to a dinner party. They were very accommodating.

Visited February 2014
Many thanks
Stroud, United Kingdom
“A Hidden Delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Regular visits to Quayles have always been a "must" when in Tetbury. So I am very disappointed to read the last three reviews written; rather faulting the staffs' attitude, not the venue.
I have always been well looked after, and their food is always well presented and very tasty.
Perhaps after reading the last three reviews, management will take on board just how important
it is for their very busy staff to find a little time to be more interactive and friendly towards their customers, let us hope so, it would be such a shame to lose this lovely little special shop with its high class local produce and lovely cheeses.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
David H, Owner at Quayles, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We have taken on board the comments and following a staff meeting we have changed the way in which we operate in order to improve the customer experience. As you know we have changed to have more tables and as a result we needed to change the way we operated as well.
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Nice place, shame about the attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I am a regular here, despite the indifferent service, it's a great place to sit and watch the world go by or have an unusual snack for lunch. I just wish the staff were friendlier. Recently I had to interrupt the manager, who was talking to a friend, just to order a coffee, something he clearly resented, but I had been waiting some time. Today, service was again poor, the manager clearly saw that I was unhappy, but clearly didn't care. On paying they charged me for an item that they knew I didn't get, then feigned surprise when I pointed out the mistake. Looks like it's Cafe 53 for me from now on. A shame.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
David H, Owner at Quayles, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We have had a staff meeting and have changed the way we operate in order that we make sure all our customers are looked after. I hope that if you return you will notice a difference.