“EXcellent, superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lords of the Manor

Lords of the Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
Lords of the Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$93 - US$108
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Vassago
“EXcellent, superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2009

We visited the Lords of the Manor restaurant, as we tend to do at least once a month, for no particular "special" reason.

Once again, in short, the food was excellent and the service exemplary.

The restaurant has most recently been awarded its first Michelin star, and this is easy to see why as the style, presentation and taste of all the dishes was simply divine.

For a Tuesday evening, there were about 12 other diners, and all were remarking on the quality of the food.

Not to be missed is the VERY large and extremely comprehensive wine list, as well as the Cheese trolley which showcases all local cheeses (which is also reflected in the menu). It is good to know the provenance of your food, and especially that local farmers are being used wherever possible.

3 Thank Vassago

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Houston, TX
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,058 helpful votes
“Stuffy hotel, unfriendly service, awful food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2008

As you will read below, I was not a huge fan of the Lords of the Manor hotel but that may well be because all of the other guests were at least 20-30 years older than us (40) and certain staff members were snooty and cold. My boyfriend and I recently stayed here for 2 nights (Nov. 26-28) on a special website rate of 198 GBP/nt for a double room which included breakfast and a 3 course dinner daily. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS:
1. The Lords of the Manor hotel is in a gorgeous English country house set in the tiny Cotswolds village of Upper Slaughter. The grounds are incredibly picturesque. See the hotel's website for more photos of all this.
2. The Lords of the Manor itself was clean and well cared for. The toiletries were L'Occitane's Lemon Verbena and the shower had great water pressure. There were lots of hot water and fluffy white towels.
3. Having breakfast included in our rate meant that we could have "early morning coffee" brought to our room prior to going down for breakfast and I thought this was a nice touch. Breakfast was a buffet but you could also have a traditional "English cooked breakfast".

CONS:
1. Almost all of the other guests were 65 or older and so it seemed at times as if we were staying in a luxurious nursing home. This feeling was most intense at mealtimes because of the pervasive hushed silence in the small dining room. There was no background music of any kind and I am not kidding when I say that everyone whispered during the meals. I like a serene dining experience but if we laughed or spoke above a whisper we felt very self conscious. It would have been nice if there were some kind of low background music to give it a warmer friendlier atmosphere. Also, what is with all the whispering??
2. We had paid for a 3 course dinner to be included so we ate at the hotel both nights. The first night, I had their "Cotswolds Beef" dish which turned out to be stringy and overcooked which was served with a tasteless brown gravy, bitter mushrooms and sticks of beets . The next night, I ordered the "fillet of paddock" (a white fish similar to cod) which was strangely served with an oxtail and more of that same unappetizing brown gravy! Dessert the first night was a rice pudding that was sweet yet oddly chewy/crunchy. The next night, we opted for selections from the cheese tray since we were told by the waitress that we could have cheese instead of the dessert. The cheese was great but it was a little annoying when we checked out to see that we were charged for substituting our dessert for the cheese!
3. Lords of the Manorhad a very austere, cold feeling. There was no cheery warm "country house" feeling in the least.
4. The sommelier/barman was an arrogant, unsmiling Frenchman who seemed very put out to answer any questions about his wine list. His weird unfriendly attitude added to the general cold feel at Lords of the Manor.
5. On top of the 17.5% VAT tax, the Lords of the Manor added a 10% to our total bill as a "service charge". I would have preferred to tip staffmembers individually rather than having it done for me as you never really know if this money ends up in the staff's pockets or not.

I really wished that I liked this hotel more but overall, I did not. For that cozy, warm English manor house feel, I much prefer the Lygon Arms in Broadway or the Manor Haus in Moreton-on-the-Marsh.

10 Thank Jemimagold
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Idyllic place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2008

We stayed here just for one night. The villages surrounding it are perfect, the most quaint places I have ever seen. The hotel was superb. They have a good selection of wellington boots which we used to walk along an easy pathway to the next village. We had dinner in the restaurant which very deserving of its rosettes, on a par withthe 2 starred Michelin restaurants in which I have eaten. Brilliant food and great service. The breakfast the next day had a vast choice and all very tasty.

2 Thank HappilyMarried08