“Excellent, do go”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Slaughters
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent, do go”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stayed for one night and could not fault anything. All the staff were professional, friendly and
efficient. The room was delightful and bed amazingly comfortable. Dinner was superb. We had the set market menu , the starter did not suit one of us and an alternative was quickly offered and was delicious. Extensive wine list with prices to suit all pockets. All in all a great hotel in a lovely location
We highly recommend this hotel and plan to return

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerLOM, General Manager at Lords of the Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and recommendation, I am so glad you plan to return back to us and hope we will see you again soon.
Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Cotswolds, UK
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We went to Lords of the Manor last weekend as a special anniversary treat. It is beautiful and very homely - lovely antiques and furnishings inside and the most beautiful grounds outside. The staff were lovely - attentive but not over the top. Food in the restaurant is top class, and the sommelier was a star. They made our stay very special, (they upgraded our room and did a surpirse anniversary cake!) and we would definitely recommend it and will be returning again.

Dear Guest
We are so glad you had a great stay with us and that you loved our location. On behalf of the team we have to confess that the odd reminder from Guests about what a lovely place we work in often helps us remember why we love Lords of the Manor so.

I very much look forward to your return for another anniversary.
Builth Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

If you fancy a bit of luxury then this is definitely the place to stay! Me and my partner had a fantastic stay here! The room was stunning, the service was great and it was the best meal I have ever tasted. We decided to go for the tasting menu as a treat but decided against the wines to accompany it. Instead we decided to pick ourselves with some help from the sommelier. They were lovely. Over all a great break at a great price. Thank you very much !

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest
Everyone needs a little luxury and we are glad you found it with us, We are glad you explored the wine list, we try to have a good mix of value, depth and quality.

I would just say the only thing I think you could ask for given the title of your review is much better weather, which I must try much harder to provide for our guests.
Preston
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Picture postcard, quaint English Country Hotel. From the moment of arrival to checking out all staff were wondefully attentive but not overbearing. Rooms were spacious and well equipped individually furnished. The restruant was of excellent quality and standard. We spent a relaxing time on the front lawn, taking afternoon tea reading papers, playing scrabble and soaking up the sunshine and lovely gardens. Strongly recommended for those who like good food, good service in a quiet country setting.Ideal for a specilal celebration.

Dear Guest
Good heavens, you were able to soak up sunshine - that weekend was quite remarkable and well overdue, however today with hail and rain descending seems a distant memory.

We are glad you had a lovely time with us and please bring the sunshine back on your next visit.
South Wales
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We've just returned from a night away here which was a surprise birthday present for my hard-working husband. There are very many aspects of this hotel worthy of praise, but in particular some lovely staff who seemed genuinely concerned that we actually enjoyed our stay. In a stunningly attractive hotel I can honestly say that they were still the stand out feature.
The restaurant manager and his staff and the gentleman who portered for us and brought us our drinks while we sat outside were fantastic. Thank you.
Other positives? An unbelievable location, almost unreal it's so pretty. Fantastic food in the restaurant coupled with staff who were knowledgeable and professional yet able to incorporate the personal touch. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening meal here and the food certainly lived up to its billing.
Bedrooms: We stayed in a standard room which as you would expect was immaculately clean. Bathroom a tad on the small size. The evening turndown service brought a smile to my face it was so meticulous in its attention to detail. Someone clearly has a very good eye.
Afternoon Tea: Delightful and if you have the appetite a must! Consider sharing however, especially if you're planning on an evening meal later.
Hotel Grounds: Amazing views and public footpaths close by. Who needs a gym when you can walk ( or dare I suggest it, even run ) in such glorious countryside!
Negatives: Well let me say firstly we would return without hesitation and I would have gladly given five stars had it not been for a hiccup with our booking. In fairness it was eventually rectified and here once again I must thank the restaurant manager.
Our package included a bottle of champagne - a great way to kick off a birthday celebration and a touch of fun. It should have been in our room on arrival and wasn't. Disappointed, but not telling my other half in the hope it would appear ( it didn't! ) I later went to reception who confirmed that yes, it should have been there.
I explained that this meant the moment had been lost but could we try again in the bar when we came down for pre-dinner drinks. This was agreed.
However when we arrived and gave our name as requested - surely I thought a sign that we had been recognised and the champagne was now magically going to appear - we were merely asked what we would like to drink. Aagh! If you've ever organised a special trip for a loved one I'm sure you can understand my frustration.
More than a little annoyed now I approached reception - again.
This time the restaurant staff came to my aid - apologised profusely and upgraded the champagne. This was very kind and genuinely appreciated, but if I'm entirely honest I would have preferred the bottle in the room when we arrived as I'd anticipated. Not a disaster I know, but it almost took the edge off the day for me and as we didn't want to drink champagne with our main meal the only time then left to enjoy it was with dessert. I must be getting old as by this time it was rather late for me I'm afraid.
I mention this as a bit of advice to others who are planning similar celebrations. It may be worth your while contacting the hotel to ensure all requirements have been noted. Next time I think I will be rather more pro-active and contact the hotel in advance to clarify any special requests we may have made.
And I can honestly say, 'next time', because despite the problem we encountered the overall experience was terrific and it is simply a gorgeous hotel. On a sunny afternoon, sitting in the gardens with a glass of wine, it's a little bit of heaven.

Dear Guest
In all honesty we spend a lot of time looking at all of the different guest feedback we get on here and directly but we always focus heavily on what could we have done better. I am therefore very glad to get your review - a lot of our guests are visiting us for a celebration and have special requirements but I am sorry in your case we got this wrong and did not recover it well, we have learnt from this.

I am glad you will be back with us and that overall you had a terrific time here.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We have recently visited Lords of the Manor Hotel to celebrate our birthdays, this was our first visit and included the opportunity to drive all over the Cotswolds in a red E type Jaguar - Awesome! This was a complete surprise for me, I was celebrating 50 years young!
The venue was fantastic and a great opportunity to sample true English country living. All of the staff were welcoming and keen to ensure that we had everything we needed to make our stay special, including a handwritten welcome letter from the manager and complimentary champagne for both our birthdays. The food was divine, we had the taster and the Al la carte menus both with the accompanying wines - it was absolutely fantastic.
We both wish to thank the General Manager, Paul and all the staff for making our stay a very special experience. Our thanks to Simon Denman too for making a dream come true - the E type Jaguar was fabulous.
If you are looking for a relaxing retreat and in need of some serious pampering this is the place for you. We are already planning our next visit.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
How racey you looked in your E Type Jaguar, we did think it was your 30th Birthday however?

I am glad you had a ripping time here and you certainly looked like Lord and Lady of the Manor zipping around the place with the top down.

I hope we will see you again.
northwest
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This gorgeous hotel is English hospitality at it's best. It manages to combine faultless and gracious hospitality with warmth and character. There is nothing "corporate" about it - it oozes charm and individuality without being quirky or pretentious. The food is superb (photos don't really do it flavours justice!) and all ingredients wonderfully fresh and locally sourced. Lovely home baked breads and divinely flavoured butters, chocolates and macaroons are added perfection
The rooms are lovely and there are plenty of small sitting rooms where groups of guests can socialise. For those who would like to stroll off a few calories, there are beautiful walled gardens and a delightful "Wardens way" path goes right past the property and links to many other beautiful pathways. The wonderful Staff at the hotel anticipate your every need. The hotel even has "wellies" you can borrow to spare your city shoes!
Upper Slaughter doesn't sound very nice, but the village itself is a beautiful honey coloured Cotswold delight, with a chalk stream meandering through and even a ford if you want to drive through it (though there is a bridge alternative) for the unadventurous

The ONLY criticism we have is that when we stayed on for a second night the menu remained exactly the same. So superb for a one night stay but check the menus before you book to stay longer. ENJOY!

Room Tip: This a quiet location so all of the rooms are tranquil