“Old World grace at a price”

Lords of the Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Slaughters
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Old World grace at a price”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our love of the Cotswolds and memories of a friend's wedding at the Lords of the Manor attracted us to accept an offer of 50% off the normal cost for a one night stay with dinner and breakfast. Dinner was a fixed five course sampler menu and was preceded by canapés. Everything was described in full detail by staff who were properly formal and friendly at the same time. Each course was beautifully prepared and presented. Items that we might have hesitated to order from an open menu turned out to be delicious and the dinner experience was gracious and enjoyable.
The dining room was very nearly full but very quiet, certainly favouring those who prefer peace to buzz. Accompanying wine was not cheap but of good quality and well recommended to accompany our main course. Breakfast was more than adequate and presented with care similar to that of the dinner.

The building was not designed to be a hotel and is a maze of corridors and small rooms. All of this adds to an old world charm and might be described as tired in some areas but only in the same way as a pair of comfortable old slippers.

For us this was quite a long trek from Yorkshire for a one night stay but we were able to include walks on the days of arrival and departure, refreshing our love of the area and visiting some of our favourite places. It was certainly a couple of days to be cherished and talked about for a long time.

In rating the hotel we have tried to do so taking into account expectations which other visitors will have of somewhere that is by no means cheap.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Stephen F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

If you want to feel like a celebrity, or aristocrat, then come and stay here. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel special by the outstanding staff. Nothing was too much trouble.

The atmosphere is understated elegance.

We enjoyed exploring the Cotswolds from here, although always wanted to make it back in time for drinks in the sunshine in the magnificent gardens.

The rooms are out of this world - well at least out of this century! The only thing I could think to improve them would be chocolates on the pillows- although it may have fallen off the pile of 4 pillows on the bed!

My daughter, aged 20, was the youngest guest by at least 30 years, but still enjoyed the tranquility and beauty.

• Stayed June 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Unfortunately we were very disappointed with our stay and this is not something we expected. The grounds are beautiful as is the manor house but there was no wow factor for the deco of the room itself, we were upgraded to a rectory double room which was a large sized room but as it had two big arm chairs in there it made the room look crowded and the TV was far too small for the room and not a good view of it from the bed as well as the room looking tired. The bathroom was lovely, spacious with a bath tub and separate shower. The view overlooking the greenery at the back of the hotel was quite stunning especially as the sun shone into the room in the afternoon.

The afternoon tea was delicious however the service let it down, once we were seated no one came to take our order so we had to go find a waiter which took some time, during the tea we wanted to order more drinks but no one came and by the end we gave up and had to go find a waiter to ask for our desserts to be bought up to our room.

We were looking forward to dinner especially as it is a Michelin star restaurant but once again left disappointed. The service itself was slow, especially towards the end of the meal which was surprising as we were the only ones left as had a late booking. Being vegetarian they had to cater for my needs as there was nothing on the menu, but we had advised them of this and they had created a menu. However there was no choice just one starter and main which I wasn’t keen on but no other option available. My husband did enjoy his main meal but not so keen on the rest and both of the desserts were not great.

We were staying for my birthday celebration and the hotel was made aware of this, 4 months in advance my husband had arranged for them to bring a birthday treat out for me and this was also confirmed a few days before our stay and during our stay yet nothing had happened which left my husband annoyed as he couldn’t have made any more people aware. Also when staying at a prestigious place you would expect them to make the additional effort for the price they charge.

We found the bed very comfortable however as it was a summers night it was too hot and not much air from the windows and as we had to leave the windows open (not that it made much difference) and asI am a light sleeper I was disturbed by the clock ringing every hour – not sure where it was coming from but not something you want to hear during the night.

Just as we were thinking the stay couldn’t get any worse it did at breakfast. Being vegetarian and no egg I was offered toast mushroom and tomatoes which no one would eat alone. The waitress was rude and I had asked if it was possible to have some sort of potatoes with it to add some substance to which I was told a plain no. I then had to plead just to have cheese and onion toast, not the hardest of requests and it consisted of minimum cheese and what could only be described as the whole onion being added to the bread! Not sure how they got their Michelin star status!

Most of the staff were pleasant and friendly, just not this lady but it was very hard to find waiters when you needed them. As this was a birthday celebration with the birthday on the actual day of the stay we felt very disappointed with the turn of the events as we expressed to the receptionist. The manager got back to us and was rather apologetic and cleared the rest of the charges on our account with a voucher of the same stay to use again. This was not the desired outcome of our complaint but a very nice gesture, unfortunately the way we feel at the moment we cannot see ourselves returning. For that reason only I have rated it a 3 otherwise would have been lower as they have taken our complaint on board and tried to rectify it. But personally I do feel this stay is rather expensive for what you actually get for the price paid and they expect a service charge on top. I have been to cheaper places and enjoyed it far more where the staff have even added perks on special occasions without even being asked.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Classy_Chica
London
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you want to get right away from everything then this might well be the place for you! It is not a cheap option so a little saving up might well be needed. Is it worth it? Just about in my view. My husband and I spent 1 night here. Our room was fine....overlooking the front garden and river, so pleasant on the eye. Bathroom spacious. For us, the absolute best bit was our evening meal...worth the drive for this alone! Service was excellent and wine choices spot on. Breakfast next morning was also of good quality. We booked through 'Secret Escapes' for the first time and were unaware of their fees which added £13 approx to the cost. The hotel also add 10% service to the total bill, so what looked a challenging price became even more so. All the staff were helpful, friendly and efficient so no quibble in paying them what they deserve. Overall we came to the conclusion that this was London prices deep in the country and perhaps need reviewing so that more people can afford to stay and enjoy the quality of the food.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mimihop
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for my anniversary, I expected a high standard for cost of the hotel, first impressions were very good until we went to the room. We stayed in the room next to Tracey which apparently when I booked it was there second best room. I ordered a bottle of champagne and also booked the taster menu making my bill around £700 for one night. The room was very dated with nothing spectacular about it, the TV was stood on old furniture none of which matched with a very small and standard travelodge style bathroom. Above the bed on the ceiling was a large dirty brown stain ( what does it cost to touch a room up with white paint) which for the money paid should not of been there! The taster menu was quite poor only improved by our French waiter who was excellent! We went to the manor house hotel the previous year I can only advise the management of this hotel to go and see there's! Food amazing and blows your mind room above standard and exciting. After a good nights sleep in the comfy bed we went down for breakfast to be served burnt toast sand over cooked bacon and egg! I would not attend this hotel for £700 again complete rip off. I would love the manager to look into this as I would like a partial refund regards mr & mrs knight

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank A-5gpk
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Loved our stay here got an upgrade to a room overlooking gardens and river. Had a stroll and drink in the grounds which was very relaxing then in the evening had a lovely meal in the restaurant. Couldn't fault the hotel, food and service which were all excellent. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: room overlooking the gardens