“Service from another era. Brilliant!”

Lords of the Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in The Slaughters
Cheltenham, UK
“Service from another era. Brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

I love this hotel!
Everything, right from carparking to check-out is a pleasure.
The actual hotel is beautiful and the gardens and grounds are impressive and inviting.
The service is completely impecable, I cannot rate it high enough. The waiter who bought our tea was from another era..quiet, inobtrusive, professional and polite. Which is exactly what service should be, but where so many "exclusive" hotels fail.
The manager is friendly and attentive, the girl on reception was sweet and helpful. It's not rocket science..why can't more hotels be like this?
The decor is lush without being grand, and it feels quite comfortable to sink into a sofa and relax.

The food... yet again, a complete treat.
Brilliant yet undertsated. Inovative without being too experimental. Complimentary flavours bought together beatifully. The wine list is well thought out and has wines for all palates. Yet again the service is excellent.

We had booked only the cheapest rooms, but they were still extremely comfortable, clean, classic and well set out.
I don't want to sound gushing, but the whole experience felt like a treat.

I am waiting for the spring and then bringing my 2 daughters here for afternoon tea.

Well worth a visit, feels like a bolt hole from the outside world.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

Had afternoon tea, dinner, bed and breakfast, for Special birthday celebration.

Beautiful place, with understated elegance. Service was marvellous, friendly, and professional. Room was fine, though tea/coffee facilities would have been welcomed, but not a problem for a quick night-stop. Restaurant was as good as it gets! Everything, including all the little extras, was just perfect! Perhaps a few too many bits and bobs on each plate.......eg parsnip and vanilla mousse with each main course.....nevertheless delicious!

Cannot wait to visit again, hopefully in summer, to also enjoy the gardens.

Breakfast also 100%..........cannot understand a previous negative report about this.

Additional service charge is optional........but an embarrassment on the expensive bill. I was reluctant to pay this, but I did, and just hope that the marvellous staff in the restaurant will receive their share.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

My partner and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at Lords of the Manor. Overall we had a really enjoyable stay and would definitely recommend the place although it wasn't all quite as we'd expected. On the postiives it is a beautiful traditional country house hotel in a lovely location. The Cotswolds is a stunning area and the Slaughters is one of the nicest parts. It has quite an old-fashoned traditional feel to it. We are 32 and 40 and were definitely younger than most of the other guests. Everything is very nice quality but it is not plush. Traditional, country-house hotel style definitely sums it up best. The service was excellent overall. The main person on reception was very friendly and helpful. When I rang to book she was very helpful and as I rang only 24 hours before she offered me a good deal on our room. She also booked us into the restaurant and arranged spa treatments for us in our room on short notice. When we arrived we liked the overall look of the place but it is very, very quiet. The small lounge and bar areas were so quiet you had to whisper so certainly not a place to go for a 'buzz' however we were only looking for a romantic relaxing weekend away so this didn't matter. Rooms - we had booked a Manor Room which when we were shown it looked very nice. A reasonalbe size, nice decor, no view, smallish bathroom but fine. However we were offered a free upgrade to a Rectory or Lords bedroom and were taken to see them. We took the Rectory room which was a similar size to the Manor room but had the postiive of a very large bathroom and views over the fields. I have to say we did not like the lords bedroom although this is the most expensive room category. They are like whole apartments but in the attic so very low ceilings and although they had a separate sitting room, bedroom and 2 bathrooms each room was small and to us it had a cramped feeling. I would definitely choose a Rectory or Manor room. The free upgrade was much appreciated. We had a fairly comfy king size bed and nice l'occiatane toiletries in the bathroom. Decent hairdryer provided!
However by far and away the best thing about this hotel is the restaurant. We had the 7 course tasting menu one night and the a la carte the other and all the food was really excellent. It is not cheap (£75 pp tasting; £65 pp 3 course a la carte) but the food is worth the money. i love my food and do eat in lots of top restaurtants and I was impressed. Service was generally very good throughout the hotel although the sommelier was a little sullen and not the most helpful on the first day we arrived. Bar food at £9.50 for an egg sandwich was also a little overpriced!
There is no spa in the hotel but they can arrange treatments in your room through a local spa. These were very good and reasonably priced. They also provide nice little touches like wellies to borrow for walking through the fields etc.
In summary we had a good deal for our room and at the price we paid we were very happy with what we received. The room was nice, service was predominantly good (and they don't charge you for it so do tip if you want to as it is not added to your bill at the end), location is lovely and food was excellent. However, had we paid the full price for our room I have to say we would have been a little disappointed. I would definitely go back if on a deal but probably not on rack rates.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gooldie
Hartpury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2010

This is not the first time we have visited Lords of the Manor to eat, but it was the first time we had stayed overnight. My husband took me there as a surprise for my birthday on the Vintage Champagned break. From the moment we arrived, we felt extremely welcome. Our room was beautiful and the enourmous stone mullioned window looked out accross the back gardens which are stunning. Huge big bed, crisp white linen, and very comfortably furnished with steps going down to a large bathroom. We took a stroll round the very pretty village before we took afternoon tea with homemade shortbread in their lounge.
Dinner was absolutely superb and well deserves the 1 Michelin Star (if not more in my humble opinion!). As before, all the staff were very attentive and obviously work as a close team.
We woke the following morning to a very hard frost and the grounds and gardens just looked like a winter wonderland - very pretty. Breakfast was delicious - all the eggs are organic, free range, locally sourced sausages etc.
This is a traditional cotswold hotel which makes you feel at home the instant you arrive. I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend it. If you are going to stay in the Cotswolds - You have to stay at Lords of the Manor!

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

This hotel is faultless. It is in an excellent, peaceful location, has a great restaurant, quality rooms..... what more could you want. Well, for me it was lacking something. The staff are very efficient but lack warmth and friendliness. Our room was rather dark and in an annexe which was disappointing, but I have to say it had the most comfortable bed I've slept in. I know it's personal taste, but the lack of music in the public rooms and restaurant made it rather awkward to have a conversation without being overheard. People talked in hushed voices and it was uncomfortable at times hearing one particularly boorish guest telling his wife off on more than one occasion. We chose this hotel on recommendation of friends, but having visited The Manor at Lower Slaughter, we'd rather go there if visiting this area again. The Lords is rather starchy. Not for the young or young at heart................... but that's just my opinion. I recommend it for quality alone.

1 Thank droenna
Nicosia District, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

This is a Michelin-starred restaurant and hotel and contrary to another Michelin-starred restaurant and hotel which we stayed at recently this was absolutely superb. From the moment of arrival to the time we left we felt pampered, valued, cared for and special. The room was stunning, the bed and the bedding fabulous. The bathroom spotless, the linen was of top quality, as for the food, oh my what wonders awaited us. They have a system where you can have a glass of wine which is recommended for each dish you chose and their sommelier certainly knows her stuff, the wines completely complemented the food. As for the food, they have such a superb chef that I am surprised he has not been poached by some top London restaurant. Then, of course, there are the grounds. If you ever want to have a special weekend away in a glorious part of our country this is definitely the place to go and is exceedingly good value for what you receive. Oh did I comment on the staff - they have obviously received top quality customer care training we both felt really special. You have to go!

Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2010

Stayed here for two nights. Perfect from start to finish. Stunning location, beautiful building, cosy room, amaaaazing food, great staff, especially the receptionists for their efficiency and the chef for his creativity. The lounges are quiet and cosy, our bedroom was a fair size, warm and clean (it didn't have any tea/coffee making facilities but we called reception about this and they brought up tea for no charge). I think some rooms have facilities and some rooms don't. Lovely L'Occitane products in the bathroom and nice bathrobes, fluffy towels, crisp bed linen, etc. Nice cocktails and canapes. Dinner was incredible and well worth the money. Service was very slow on the first night but perfect on the second so am presuming this was just a glitch. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Ellenborough Park
#2 of 22 in Cheltenham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,232 reviews
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,024 reviews

Been to Lords of the Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!