“Beautiful old house in stunning Winchcombe”
Review of Blair House

Blair House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winchcombe
Blair House
Ranked #10 of 12 Winchcombe B&B and Inns
Itala, Italy
“Beautiful old house in stunning Winchcombe”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Blair House is a 5 min walk into Winchombe. The house is a beautifully decorated old house that has style and grace. The room I stayed in overlooked the garden and was light and had period features throughout. The paintings on the wall were stunning and really gave a sense of lightness to the room. Although it was a shared bathroom this wasn't a problem. There was no noise as the house was obviously well built. I slept well in a very comfortable bed and there were extras throws as it was cold. Breakfast was yummy and so well presented, the hosts were a delight and very hospitable. Having wifi was great and it worked well in the bedroom. There was a sitting room at the front of the house which was communal and this was beautifully decorated with local original paintings of the area. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
midlands
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Lovely welcoming hosts. The bathroom was downstairs but we didnt hear anyone above us whcih was good. The bathroom is very pretty in a converted consertatory type of thing and very snug and warm. Breakfast try their special as it is a nice change to the massive english breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Wheathampstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

My friend and I stayed for one night as part of a walking weekend. The hosts were delightful, very welcoming and friendly. We stayed in the en-suite bedroom on the ground floor which was a lovely, spacious room with everything you could need. We are animal lovers so enjoyed having pets around (particularly Henry!!) but can understand that this may put some people off however the owners mention this on their website.

All in all a really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My mother and I stayed here for two nights before my start of term at Oxford and had a lovely time! The room was very tidy and the house quite well kept. The hosts, Ian and Sarah, were very friendly and accommodating (even when we spilled coffee twice)! The breakfast was delicious and the wi-fi worked well. Price-wise it was of great value. We hope to return soon!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Havant
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Found this B&B on the internet and as it was one of three I had asked to give me room rates they were very fast to respond. We stayed here from 01.10.12 to 03.10.12 in the en suite double located on the ground floor. Our hosts Ian and Sandra were very welcoming and the breakfasts were brilliant. Room very nice and super comfy double bed. Nice lounge to watch the box if you wanted. All in all a very acceptable B&B. Room rate was competative for the area. No complaints, would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank treva55
Melbourne
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I stayed here as part of the Cotswold Round walk.

It had the latest check in time of all the B&Bs booked for the tour - which was unfortunate as I managed to get quite muddy that day! Also, given the late check in time - I should think the requirement to call 24 hours in advance to provide an arrival time was a bit redundant.

My initial impressions on arrival were not good - no-one answered the door and I had to phone to get someone to let me in. The guest rooms are dotted around the house - not in anyway separated from the family areas so you run into each other a bit on the landngs - it can be a bit awkward. There is only one guest bathroom for at least 3 rooms (up to 6 people?)

The next morning however was a different story. I met the lady of the house who is very chatty and sociable, couldn't do enough to help, wanted to know everything about you. They had grandkids visiting from France who were very entertaining (performing various skits & songs at breakfast). The kids kept letting the dogs in as well, which caused some chaos.

I can see why this B&B is not to a lot of people's taste - there is no wifi, no wash stand in the room, the bathroom situation is a bit awkward, the communal breakfast set up can be quite full on, there are cats & dogs (and kids when I was there) everywhere. But in the end I left with a light step and a smile on my face, feeling like I'd spent a morning with friends.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KateE006
Ian C, Manager at Blair House, responded to this review, 23 September 2012
Dear Kate

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback – it is important to us so we can improve and ensure our guests have a pleasurable experience – which many do as our visitors book affirms.

On your specific points:

“Check in 5pm – too late”. We state an after 5pm check in time which we feel is not late as this is what other B&B’s do. We do however confirm at point of booking if you would like to arrive earlier then to call or email us to arrange. We are more than happy to oblige especially to welcome wearsome walkers !

“No one answered the door”. We do our very best to be in the house after 5pm but there are occasions we may have been in the garden or putting a car up the driveway and may have just missed the ring on the doorbell. We apologise for this.

“One bathroom for 6” This is not strictly true. In fact we make clear on our website that the large Twin and Single do share a bathroom but we have since clarified to all visitors on arrival that an additional bathroom can be used if vacant.

WIFI – we do have wifi and we have included the wifi log on details in each room so there is no need for guests to ask for it (as you have to do in hotels often at an additional cost!)

“Communal breakfast”. As you know we have a large dining room table where guests from all walks of life enjoy breakfast. We acknowledge this may not be to everyone’s liking and will ensure our website informs people in advance.

“Our grandchildren letting the dogs in” This was a simple innocent slip by our 4 year old grand daughter .

We are glad you enjoyed our hospitality and our grand-sons rendition of Justin Bieber songs and hope you had a good rest of stay in the Cotswolds.

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused

Kind regards

Blair House B&B
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Our initial welcome was cool at best. As I now read in other reviews, we also felt like we were imposing on the hostess rather than being welcomed as a guest. I should have been forewarned as this was the only B&B that we stayed at in the Cotswolds that insisted on a cash deposit (check) to hold the room which we did send which is difficult to do from another continent. The room while nicely furnished was very small with minimal room to even put a suitcase let alone unpack. Overall an odd and unpleasant experience. I would recommend one seek alternative lodging if possible.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Ian C, Manager at Blair House, responded to this review, 23 September 2012

On your specific points:

“Cheque deposit from America”. It is customary however that some guests offer to send us a foreign cheque especially if they do not have online banking facilities. We have since reviewed our deposit process from guests abroad and will be reverting to an online BACS solution instead of requesting foreign cheques.

“Small bedroom & minimal space”. We have reviewed our accommodation and will be offering the room you stayed in for Single occupancy. We feel that there is enough space for one person.

We do apologise that your stay with us was not satisfactory but please rest assured we have taken action in response to your feedback. We hope you had an enjoyable stay in the Cotswolds !

Kind regards

Blair House B&B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winchcombe
The Rising Sun Hotel
#1 of 3 in Winchcombe
Winchcombe Rooms To Stay
Winchcombe Rooms To Stay
#11 of 12 in Winchcombe

Been to Blair House? Share your experiences!