“Warm, welcoming and charming”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Found ourselves passing through Wotton-Under-Edge whilst looking for a cash-point! Saw the Swan Hotel and ended up staying the evening. The warmest and most genuine of welcomes led us to stay and eat. The food was cooked and presented with care and style without being pretentious. The furnishing has a wonderful mix of authentic old wood and modern style and lighting. We retired to a beautiful lounge area that felt like we had arrived home and neither of us wanted to leave. Outstanding and respectful hospitality from staff who care, and so worth the visit if you're in the area. Its a repeater for me.

Room Tip: We didn't stay the night on this occasion.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Alan D

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights. Old, slightly eccentric building, clean, well provided. All staff were friendly, helpful, courteous. We only ate breakfast but in the wide choice that was available, every element was excellently prepared. It is clear that this hotel has been turned around in the recent past. We would be very happy to stay again.
Parking is in a free, civic multi-car area a short distance up the road.

Room Tip: If you have any disability, make sure they know when you book.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David O
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Myself and sister stayed one night B and B at the Swan Hotel on the 19th of October whilst walking in the area, we were very pleased with the standard of accommodation, it was very clean and the beds comfortable, O.k the taps in the bathroom were labeled oddly, (two said hot) and there was a little bit of low level noise noise intermittently from what sounded like some sort of generator but this was not so bad as I had ear plugs and was very tired. We ate in the restaurant that evening and thoroughly enjoyed our food, it was very tasty and reasonably priced. The breakfast the next day was all freshly prepared and was also very tasty. The staff were helpful and pleasant and I would be happy to recommenced the Swan to friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank deborah m
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was booked into the Swan Hotel for one night during my hike of the Cotswold Way. The best attributes about this hotel are its location (in the town centre) and its character (a former coaching house with beamed ceilings and other original features). My room was very simple, and the in-room amenities provided were minimal. The breakfast the following morning was average, and below par compared to the other B & B's and hotels I stayed in during my hike.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank floyd s
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Lovely room, four poster bed. Old-y world which is rare these days. Really enjoyed our stay. Went down for dinner in the pub which was lovely. Only thing is the interconnecting door to the next room wasn't very sound proof but didn't matter to us as the occupants there were not loud.

Room Tip: Room 3 had four poster and nice en-suite
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becca S
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I just had my 40th birthday at The Swan, the whole experience from beginning to end has been amazing, I'll break it down:

Venue: We booked the back room and 'The Snug' side rooms, and put a rock & roll band on. The room was perfect for this as the ceiling is quite low and the atmosphere was very buzzy from the moment the first few guests arrived - because of the layout it never felt empty. The venue allowed us to dress the room with loads of time spare before the event, we went in the afternoon of the party and took our time. On the night, we had two projectors showing films and we also used their large screen TV to add atmosphere with rock & roll films on mute. After the band finished we used the venue's in-house PA system to play a playlist from an iPad and it worked an absolute dream.

Staff: All of the staff were lovely and friendly. I dealt with a few people in organising the event and they were all helpful and wanted to make sure I was happy. On the night they looked after our guests very well.

After the party: No stress afterwards, the venue took down my decorations and just gave them back in a pile, no problem. Basically I can't say enough good things about it. I would recommend the venue to others and would definitely go back next time we want to have a party.

Thanks!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I was walking the Cotswold Way and this pub is only a few metres from the trail. With the not-so-great reviews on Trip Advisor I tried to book elsewhere but this was the only place available. I needn't have worried as I had a nice clean room with spacious bathroom and good flat screen TV. The room overlooked the street, so it might be noisy at the weekends but mid-week it was pretty quiet. The evening meal was OK but if I was staying again I'd probably explore other options and the pub is right in town, pleasant to walk about so it would be nice to do that anyway. The breakfast was good with cooked-to-order English breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JClare62
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wotton-under-Edge
De Vere Tortworth Court
4 mi away
Hunter's Hall Inn
Hunter's Hall Inn
#1 of 1 in Kingscote

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!