“Visit”

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Visit”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Very regal insight into life of the victorian royals !!!! Had s good walk to the beach and then to swiss cottage and took the complimentary bus back yo the house !!!! Only comment id like to ask is. , why no hot food at the beach cafe or the swiss cottage , long way to walk back up to the house for a bowl of soup ???

Birmingham, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Historical retreat.”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Went with my husband and two sobs aged 9 and 6. We all had a fabulous day. The house tour is set out so you don't miss anything. The staff are full of information and useful facts. The grounds are huge and there is a free bus service to help get you to the Swiss cottage ( the children's playhouse) and museum and a bus to the beach where you can find changing rooms etc. The playground kept the kids entertained and run of some energy before lunch in the picnic area. My only warning is that cakes are very expensive. £2.75 for a piece of short bread. £1.95 for a chocolate chip cookie, otherwise great value for money.

Visited April 2014
southampton
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“excellent visit”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

delightful visit, and made to feel very welcome, guide was excellent and all staff very friendly.
Stunning house that still manages to have that 'family' (abeit very grand) feel.
Wood definately visit again in the summer.

Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 213 helpful votes
“A wonderful day out”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Having a holiday on the Isle of Wight. Decided to go to Osboune house. They had a special Christmas event, this meant that the whole house was decorated for Christmas with Christmas trees , lights etc. it was very attractive. You had to go with a guide. Our guide was Martin he was excellent, he brought the house to life! He was so informative and had a real love and interest for the material.he told us stories about Victoria and Albert and all there family, the house etc. thanks martin. I don't usually go on tours and prefer to go round myself but I have to say that in future I will probably go on a tour. The shop was also excellent we bought quite a few Christmas presents. We had a coffee and bacon sandwich which was good. Also walked to the beach and saw queen Victoria's bathing hut and also had an ice cream which was delicious. Arrived at 10.30 left at 2.30 it was a sunny day.

Visited November 2013
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 129 helpful votes
“Mixed emotions”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have always wanted to visit Osborne House so I was very excited at the prospect of doing so on my Birthday, at the end of October, but I left the place with very mixed emotions. It was a rainy day so we spent limited time in the grounds with its glorious trees, many of which were planted under the supervision of Prince Albert, and sadly no time at all on the beach.

The house itself, which I believe English Heritage has owned for over 30 years, is breath-taking in some areas. There is little doubt that the ceilings in the rooms that are currently open to the public are some of the finest you will ever see anywhere and the Dunbar room is a gloriously elaborate and unique celebration of Queen Victoria becoming Empress of India. Some of the rooms have been recreated as they would have been when occupied by Queen Victoria, using photos and other evidence, and they are well done BUT the house displays many paintings that need cleaning! There are also carpets held together with brightly coloured sticky tape and modern electric power points and switches that you'd simply never see in a National Trust property! Perhaps as well that they don't allow photography inside the house, a fact that does not become clear until after you have paid the entrance fee. I was also disappointed that the kitchens had not been restored and that the lift didn't go to the second floor to allow those of us who struggle with stairs to take a look at the nursery.

Lunch in the Terrace restaurant, once the family's chapel, didn't really help to brighten my mood either. The food was pleasant enough, as was the service, but a very limited menu and not really splendid enough for a former royal residence restaurant (given that there were also other cafe areas available) or a Birthday celebratory meal.

In short I left with very mixed emotions. Would I go back? Well, I might as I would like to have seen more of the gardens and grounds. Would I join English Heritage? The answer is a resounding "no".

Visited October 2013