“Charm and comfort” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Madison, Wisconsin
“Charm and comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Was booked into the sister hotel up the street (I'd spent a good bit of time selecting which hotel I wanted to stay at...) but when I walked in the door they told me there was some issue with my room (a water leak or something like that?) and they walked me down the street to this hotel. My room was up a couple flights of steps - a tiny single room with a twin bed in the corner. And tiny it was, but comfortable, well decorated, with a stylish modern bathroom (L'Occitane toiletries!). The staff members were friendly, and I enjoyed dinner at yet another one of their sister hotels (they provided the transportation). Lovely and clean with old-fashioned charm -- I would stay here again. I was able to walk from here to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard to see the ships.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Tamworth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Statton Hotel for five nights after booking it online. We had a double room on the second floor. The en-suite had a walk in shower which was perfect. However some of the rooms have only got a bath. They cater very well for the single traveller.The decoration of the hotel is very well done. There is a bar on the ground floor which also doubles up as the breakfast room. The food is cooked to order so if you are in a hurry to get on the move early I would suggest you get up a bit earlier. It is great for relaxing before heading out for the day. The staff could not have been more helpful. The hotel is located two minutes from the seafront. The walk from Southsea to the Hover Port is about ten minutes away. The bus service is very regular. We visited the D Day Museum just across from the hotel, which was well worth a visit. I certailny would recommend this hotel, whether staying on business, or like ourselves, visiting the Dockyard at Portsmouth and other places of interest. I will definitely be visiting Southsea in the next year and will have no problems in booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you are expecting a shower in your room, then phone to arrange one.
Romford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was my 4th visit to this lovely hotel, wouldn't stay anywhere else in Portsmouth. The staff are amazing, very welcoming and make every effort to please their guests, nothing is too much trouble. I stayed in one of the recently refurbished rooms which was perfect. The breakfast served is first class and plenty of it! Hotel very convenient for all the major attractions in Portsmouth, on this trip I visited the D Day Museum, Southsea Castle and the Funfair near Clarence Pier. Plenty of excellent restaurants in the area including the hotel restaurant. The main purpose of my visits here are to see my granddaughters and great granddaughters who live in Southsea and when I return to the hotel in the evenings, I have time to myself to rest and read a book! Will be booking again next Spring!

Room Tip: I originally stayed in a single room, but now book a double for more space and an armchair or two...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Reception1113, Manager at Stattons Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for leaving a review, it’s lovely to hear that you find our hotel the only place to stay at whilst in Portsmouth- this is such a compliment. We are glad you were able to relax, also to see your granddaughters whilst exploring some of Portsmouth’s attractions. Thank you for choosing our hotel again, it’s always nice to see familiar faces. We look forward to welcoming you back next Spring for your 5th visit!
Lincoln
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Me and my fiancé stayed here the dates 9/8/14-11/8/14 we had the best time ever! Definitely recommend this to family and friends, staff were outstanding didn't have bath towels and within 5 minutes there was a knock on the door and staff were so apologetic! Will be coming back! Thank you very much Rita and other staff.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Firstly thank you for your kind review, it’s always lovely to hear when guests have enjoyed their stay. We are glad that you found the staff ‘outstanding,’ and thank you for recommending us this is a huge compliment. We look forward to welcoming you back again!
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed here on a business trip for 2 nights. I stayed in the small single room (the description is right!) which was indeed small but beautifully decorated & very comfortable. You couldn't really stay more than a couple of nights in this room as you wouldn't fit anything bigger than an overnight bag, but I would happily stay longer in a larger room. The hotel was lovely throughout, the staff were really friendly and welcoming and breakfast was fabulous and there was free parking and wifi. I couldn't ask for anything more!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review; we are pleased the room suited your needs and that you found it comfortable. We are delighted to hear that you appreciated the hotel décor and took advantage of the free parking and Wi-Fi. Please do not hesitate to give us a call if you are planning another stay in Portsmouth and we will happily accommodate you.
Worthing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Hey,
Booked the standard room for the weekend and it looked like a premium room, had a Barth in the bedroom :)
Very friendly staff!
Don't be shocked by the look from the outside of the hotel inside is good looking.
P.s. No extra charge for breakfast i'm bed ;)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the review, we are pleased that you were happy with your room. We are glad you found the staff ‘very friendly’ as this is how they aim to be! Thanks again for the review, we really appreciate it and we hope to see you again soon.
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We arrived around 2pm on a Saturday, having booked up for the one night for a birthday weekend away – aiming to get to Portsmouth's Historic Dockyard in the afternoon. Fortunately there were plenty of parking spaces at the hotel and we were able to check in early. The hotel is Victorian with large windows and high ceilings and the room had been modernised and tastefully done in black and white and was very comfortable. The toiletries were great quality, the fluffy white towels were nice and thick, the TV was flat screened and the en-suite bathroom was a good size. The ease of the card system that opened all doors (ie. the main door and your own door) was very efficient and worked seamlessly.

We had spotted a nice looking pub nearby the hotel called The Florence Arms as we had driven up and later discovered it had an older crowd of regulars in the main - we popped in for a drink later that night. They served food which looked great but by the time we got there we had already eaten at The Gunwharf Quays at the harbour. There was an option to have booked the hotel restaurant which was located across the road but we had decided to eat out. If you stay for two nights then I'd suggest eating in the pub as the menu looked great as did the food and the price was very reasonable. Of course I'm sure the hotel restaurant would also be very good but probably more expensive and if you want to eat there you have to pre-book in advance.

If you visit Portsmouth for the first time and you stick to the coastal route heading towards the dockyard it can take a few hours to get there – if you want to get there sooner, however, take a more inland route, as we did on our way back and it should take you under half an hour. If you want to park by the dockyard there is parking and we had no problem on Sunday when we left getting to the mulit-storey car park. It was about £4 for four hours so was fairly reasonable. It may be a different case on a Saturday when it's more busy but as we had only made it to the dockyard for 4pm we had to go back the next day to do the boat tour, visit the submarine and look around the HMS Alliance ! My advice is also look up discount vouchers in advance for the dockyard if you intend to go there – I found a 50% voucher online so we paid £28 for us both and not £28 each ! There is lots to do there and although your ticket lasts a year, in reality, over a weekend it just means if you don't get to do everything on the Saturday you need to go back on the Sunday !

Gunwharf Quays has every food chain you can guess at – although we found a pub called The Custom House which is huge and had a few drinks there followed by a lovely Mexican meal in Chilango – a chain I know but the food and service was excellent. It you want to avoid a chain you have to do your research and get out of town. The area is ideal if you want to do some shopping and then stop off for a drink and some food with outside seating.

The breakfast at the hotel was very relaxed – the latest seating is around 10.15am and you are asked what time you want breakfast the night before as they don't have many tables. You had a choice of a cooked breakfast and you got toast, juices and tea/coffee. It was again a very relaxed atmosphere. I would recommend this hotel, although, if you want to stay more centrally to the wharf area we did spot quite few other options which were much cheaper.

• 3 of 5 bubbles