“5 Star Hidden Gem in Southsea”
Review of Stattons Hotel

Stattons Hotel
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Derry, United Kingdom
“5 Star Hidden Gem in Southsea”
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Truly one of my favourite hotels around the country, offering wonderful rooms, really personal service and something different in a sea of corporate brown boxes that makes up most hotel choices in the area.
As someone who sleeps in a hotel 5 nights out of 7 and travels across UK and beyond finding somewhere as unique and personally run as Stattons and it's sister hotel Florence House makes all the difference. The team running both hotels (charmingly lead by Daniel) work hard to deliver a 5 star experience in individually and luxuriously appointed rooms with fun and very practical touches such as amazing rain showers or roll top baths, free WI-FI, always water in your rooms, Sky TV as standard and even lovely dressing gowns.
Having just finished a 4 week stay with them I feel more than qualified to say have tried lost of different rooms and all just lush and already booking other members of our company in for future stays.
Set within fantastically restored building just back from the Southsea front you have all joys of a boutique hotel with the sense of staying somewhere where people really care about your stay. Nothing seems to be too much trouble from a great choice of breakfast options, taxis ordered for you, good recommendations and local knowledge to ordering you in a Chinese if that’s what you need. Whether you’re looking for somewhere for a romantic break or really comfortable to stay on business then you’ve got it all here.
Not sure who thought this place was anything like faulty towers more like faultless spires if you ask me and I don’t give my recommendations lightly.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2010

As a regular business traveller I look for a “home from home” when I am away with work. Five years ago I came across Florence House Hotel and was incredibly impressed with both the service and beautiful guest rooms available. Since this time work has brought me back to Portsmouth and the surrounding area frequently and I have stayed within the hotel group (which includes Somerset House Hotel and Stattons, opened last year) every time.

I return to the hotels primarily because of the fantastic service. Daniel and his small team excel at looking after guests and I am always met with a friendly face every time I return. They are knowledgeable about the local area from restaurants to getting about easily, and are happy to help throughout my stay.

Each room is beautiful, unique and comfortable with different features and beds that are a little too comfortable when you have to get to work early! The area is very close to the seafront but always seems quiet to me as it is tucked away in a residential street.

Breakfast is far more luxurious than in other hotels I stay in around the country: fresh fruit, yogurt, nuts, croissants and many, many cereals - Continental is more than adequate. However, I stayed last month for a long weekend with my husband, and we treated ourselves to cooked breakfast because it looked too good to miss out on. There is your regular “full English” or other options – I went for a scrambled egg and salmon bagel which was gorgeous.

It’s so pleasing to see a small business able to expand quickly and this can only have been possible thanks to the perfect hosts who work so hard to make sure guests have an enjoyable stay. I frequently see the same guests in the breakfast room when I stay time after time and I can only imagine they return for the same reasons as I do.

As well as the above I feel the hotel is far from expensive and is in fact one of the best value places I have stayed in within the UK, getting far more for your money than elsewhere. I’m stunned the reviewer below me thinks otherwise and can find "niggles" to grumble about here.

To sum up? Faultless.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I feel I can give a fairly good review of this hotel having stayed in it several times already this year.
The hotel is actually situated over 3 different buildings, Stattons, Florence House and Somerset House and I have stayed in them all. At first glance the rooms look to be decorated to a good standard but it is when you look a little closer that you notice the bad quality finishing. Maybe not important to some people but I think when you pay over 100 pounds per night, you expect something better.

Some of my niggles are as follows:

The guy that cleans the rooms takes the towels that you have hung up to dry and folds them up for you, meaning you have a nice damp towel for your next shower! Did the same with my colleagues so not just me. I even left it on the floor on purpose so he would change it and still i found the same towel re-folded!! I eventually had to put the towel in the bottom of the shower and saturate it so he would get the message.

Every time you check in, they always say they have upgraded you to the next size room free of charge. This seems to be standard waffle to every guest when in reality you are getting exactly the room you initially paid for.

When you make the booking, they will ask for your credit card details in order to secure the booking, what they fail to tell you, is that they will immediately debit the entire amount for your stay from your account! Be warned!!

Every room has a different problem, whether it be a leaking shower cabinet, door handles falling off, creaky floors, noisy rooms etc etc Despit telling the owner, nothing got done and was exactly the same on my return visit.

You are charged 8 pounds for a cooked breakfast on top of what you have already paid for the room.

I have now stopped using this hotel as I have found one just around the corner which is far superior and the breakfast is included in the price which is also cheaper than Stattons!!

Think someone descibed this hotel in an earlier review as Fawlty Towers, I can only agree. It is perfectly fine if you are just there for the night, definitely would not recommend it for any longer.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
North Wales
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Booked at the last minute, we were after a double and a single, but with no singles available,booked two doubles. Fairly easy to find and the Car Park whilst small, will save you £10 all day parking on the esplanade, that is - if you can find a spare space there.

A good welcome and a bonus on arrival; in that a single had become available, which we took and got a refund. There are not many hotels that would fess up to this, having taken your money.

The rooms are small but extremely well furnished and decorated with style and flair. Importantly both rooms were impeccably clean with fresh soft and fluffy towels and pleasant smelling toiletries. .

The bed was slightly on the soft side for me, but I've had a lot worse.

The shower worked, it was easy to control the temperature which also remained consistent.

A large screen TV ( 37" ) in the double and (22") in the single. The TV's work from a Sky remote and you get the Sky World package ( Sports amd Movies ) to watch.

The exterior and interior of the Hotel have been renovated sympathetically a late Victorian style and all the public space is impeccably clean.

This is a Victorian building and as such there are a lot of steep narrow stairs to the three floors and it may not be suitable if you have walking difficulties

The Breakfast room /Bar is well set out and not too fussy. The Continental breakfast is extremely good with fresh fruit, cereal, fruit juice hot croissants, toast and preserves.
The coffee is proper filter coffee ( you get your own cafetiere).
My son went for a cooked breakfast ( £8 extra) but it was extremely sumptuous.

The service at Breakfast was excellent and genuinely pleasant and all the staff we came across were smiling and welcoming.

This is an expensive hotel, but it is not as expensive as one of the souless bland Chain hotels in Portsmouth and with the small number of guests they have, we never had the impression we were just some punters.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2010

wasnt our first choice but glad we found it.rooms very pretty although shower room a little cramped.carpark very handy as very little room to park in the surrounding streets.continental breakfast very nice however paying an extra £8 each for anything cooked seemed a little steep.on the whole a lovely hotel with helpful,friendly staff definately worth a visit

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Reviewed 19 July 2010

First of all the advertisement of this Hotel is misleading, it is a not 5 Star and not a Hotel,this is Bed & Breakfast without a breakfast (you will be offered serial and yogurt,but if you like an egg for your breakfast you have to pay extra 8 pounds). The rooms are small,there is no pressure in a shower, the cleanliness of the room are questionable. Private parking had not enough space and we have to park on a street. On top of all the manager of this so called hotel was very arrogant and abrupt. All in all the only positive side of this place free Wireless Internet. Unfortunately we had to pay full amount on our booking time and there was no other hotels available on this day (as some big event was happening in Portsmouth on this days),so we had to stay all 5 days and left this place with bitter test in our mouth.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank hodgeyelena
Lancashire
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Stayed for a long weekend in June 2010. Excellent location for visiting Southsea and Portsmouth. The hotel is small but beautifully decorated and has everything you would require from a hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple