“First Stay”
Review of The Clarence Hotel

The Clarence Hotel
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 6 December 2012

An excellent hotel, from the moment you step through the door, you are looked after from a complimentary drink on arrival to an absolutely delicious breakfast! I will certainly stay in this hotel again. PS the warm bathroom floor was a great touch!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank faymariej
OfficeatTheClarence, Owner at The Clarence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Thank you for your review and it is always nice to know what guests really enjoy whilst staying with us. I know it was your first visit with us but hopefully not the last. Look forward to welcoming you back in 2013. Warm Regards Jenny

Write a ReviewReviews (1,208)

Reviewed 6 December 2012

Just stumbled across this little gem whilst trying to find something decent in Portsmouth/Southsea. This is the best hotel I've stayed in in this area by far. The luxury room with the spa bath was fantastic and the room had everything you could wish for to make the stay enjoyable. I just wished I could have had another night. Great breakfast too. I'll be back

Room Tip: Check out the hotel's web site for details of the different room available.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank JohnPerkins

It was a pleasure looking after you John and hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the future. Regards Jenny Brunning

Reviewed 4 December 2012

We returned to this hotel on a high after first visit but not all good this time I'm afraid,on our first evening, I was woken by noise which I thought was heavy rain at 230am,then to my amazement and looking outside no sign of rain, it was actually a shower going and also the bathroom fan, this went on and off for 35 mins, I was just about to phone reception, when it stopped, I mentioned this to member of staff next morning at breakfast and she informed me that she found it hard to believe this would happen,so next evening we returned after busy schedule hoping for an deserved rest at approx 1030pm settling down there was a loud roar above ie the jacuzzi bath started, and we could actually hear the film they were watching but at least noise stopped at midnight, this a great boutique hotel breakfast and cleanliness first class though.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ivor D
OfficeatTheClarence, Owner at The Clarence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Thank you for choosing the Clarence once again for you second visit to Portsmouth in September. I am sorry to hear that you encountered some noise issues and hope that it will not put you off booking with us again in the future. I was not informed by the member of staff of the noise issue and had I been informed I would have acted on it immediately. Once again please accept my sincere apologies.

i am pleased that you found the quality of breakfast and the cleanliness not to have altered from your first visit and can assure you we are always striving to improve on all aspects of our business.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 December 2012

The second you step into this hotel is amazing, the owners were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble, the food is fantastic and the attention to detail really shows. The room was beautiful, lovely presented, and very clean.

we will be returning again....

Room Tip: we chose the monkey room which is situated at the top of the house. There is no view to this room, i...
1  Thank TraceyCrickJackson
OfficeatTheClarence, Owner at The Clarence Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Thank you for your recent review and hope to be able to welcome you back next year.

Have a wonderful festive season!

Reviewed 27 November 2012

The wild at heart room is divine. Upon arrival we were greeted into the lovely warm bar where we were offered a complimentary drink of choice. We are then shown to our room where all our luggage is already in the room. You can set the temperature in the room and are given the warmest, fluffiest bathrobes and slippers. The drop down bath is a luxury and they supply white company bath products and you can order bath bombs at reception (at this point I feel like a kid at Christmas). Furthermore, the free films on demand and the tv built into the bath really added to our experience. I felt pampered and relaxed and would recommend this hotel and room to any couple wanting a nice getaway.

5 stars!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gala2323

Thank you for your recent review. All our rooms at the Clarence are individual and I am really pleased that you enjoyed "The Wild at Heart" room with the sunken bath. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back another time so that you enjoy one of our other rooms. It is always advisable to book on our own website www.theclarencehotel.co.uk as this is the only place on the internet that you can book your desired room.

I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas!

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We had a one night stay here and were impressed from the moment we booked it. Great communications via e-mail with details of little extra's that could be added.

Upon arrival we were greeted at the door and shown into the lounge for a complimentary drink whilst checking in, our bags were taken to the room and we were allowed to relax.

We had chosen Room 5 (Luella Cherry), what an excellent room, huge bed, great bathroom, exactly as shown on the website.

Breakfast was very good in the morning with a good selection on a buffet with a freshly cooked Full English Breakfast served until 11am at the weekends. 12pm checkout.

Parking is located on the street outside and is free with the permit.

About a £5 taxi fare to Gunwharf Quays.

All in all a fantastic hotel, spotlessly clean, with great hosts for which nothing was too much trouble, will definitely return and can't recommend highly enough.

1  Thank P1RSW

We are over the moon that you found the Clarence quite simply one of the best hotels that you have stayed in. It makes our job so enjoyable when our guests enjoy their stay with us. Hopefully we can continue to improve so that future guests can also enjoy what you have experienced.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Just had 2 nights here. This is a very pleasent accomodating hotel. Very friendly owners and staff. The room was great, very clean and comfortable. Its in a great location for Southsea.
Very nice breakfast too!
I would give this a Five but for the fact we were kept awake by the noise of the jacuzzi on another room (this was 11.30 at night)
Highly recommended

2  Thank UKTonyz

Thank you for your recent review and it was a pleasure looking after you both. I do hope that you enjoyed coming back to Portsmouth and looking at all your old haunts from your University days.